Survey Scanner - Sinking craft

Hi

I've encountered a few frustrating bugs recently which has dented my enthusiasm somewhat when it takes hours of game play. Any help would make me happy again, as Kerbal is amazing.

I have a stock version of kerbal updated from steam, no mods running on Windows 10.

1st Issue is with the survey Scanner. It simply doesn't ever transmit data back to the control centre. The scanner is in the correct orbit, works (as in shows ore deposits etc), has a antenna, I've tried 3 now and have given up. I've searched the forums but can only find something relating to remote Tech which I don't have?

2nd Issue is with scrap recovery missions falling through planets. The last one was Gilly and a mrk 1 can, you get there and off it goes sinking into the ground until destruction.

Many Thanks if you can help!

Edited by nickrich
typo

1). I'm not sure what data you're trying to transmit from the scanner. As far as I know, once you scan the planet and get the ore concentration in map view, that's it, move on to the next scanner. @Geschosskopf wrote a really good tutorial on how to use the different scanners. Perhaps he can answer your question better? 

2). The rescue craft sinking through the ground when you enter physics range is a known issue. I think you can reduce the chance of it happening by going to the settings and turning the texture quality all the way up. If that doesn't work, you can always Alt-F12 to bring up the debug menu, go to contracts tab, and complete the buggy contract. 

Thanks for your reply

I wasn't very clear on point 1.

The tracking centre (not control centre!) has no record of the survey, you can only see the map from the scanner it's self in either view. What should happen is when the scanner is initially deployed it should send the data back to the tracking station so you can use it. At the moment I have to keep switching to the scanner and back to work out where to land.

Thanks for your tip on point 2.

11 hours ago, nickrich said:

1st Issue is with the survey Scanner. It simply doesn't ever transmit data back to the control centre. The scanner is in the correct orbit, works (as in shows ore deposits etc), has a antenna, I've tried 3 now and have given up. I've searched the forums but can only find something relating to remote Tech which I don't have?

The probe with the M700 orbital survey thingy needs the follow:

• Polar orbit (inclination => about 80^)  -- check, you say
  • Antenna -- check, you say
  • Battery capacity of about 2500--3000 EC needed to complete the transmission..  Do you have that?

So the stock process goes like this....

1. Put the M700 in a polar orbit
  2. Deploy the scanner
  3. Select "Perform survey"
  4. The M700 then starts transmitting its data, which takes 5-10 seconds.  The whole time it's doing this, it's consuming EC from the battery.  If you have enough EC, then
    • All is good.  Go to map view, focus on the planet, and open the resources overlay tab (lowest button on the right screen edge)
  5. Else
    • Transmission failed and will never work.  Map view will never show anything.  Send a new probe with sufficient battery

11 hours ago, nickrich said:

2nd Issue is with scrap recovery missions falling through planets. The last one was Gilly and a mrk 1 can, you get there and off it goes sinking into the ground until destruction.

That's a bug.  Apparently when you get there, the target debris spawns partially clipped into the planet, so then falls through the rest of the way.  Report it to Squad on the bugtracker.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.