Juno Arrival This Year!

KAL 9000

13 minutes ago, cantab said:

And yet it's the smallest "Sphere of influence" of the gas giants, barely half the diameter of Neptune's. Neptune's vastly greater distance from the Sun more than makes up for its much lower mass in the 'tug of war' between star and planet.

Huh. That's interesting. Does Neptune's SOI have a larger apparent diameter from Earth?

575,000 miles from Jupiter, 12 hours to insertion.  Now inside the orbit of Ganymede, and velocity is starting to noticeably increase.  From 37k Miles/hr it should peak at 129k miles an hour at perihelion and get as close as 2800 miles from Jupiter

6 minutes ago, cantab said:

It won't, no. Jupiter's should be larger in that respect.

I thought so. Imagine the size of the SOI of the proposed ninth planet! :confused: It would get much smaller near perihelion, of course, but still!

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

I thought so. Imagine the size of the SOI of the proposed ninth planet! :confused: It would get much smaller near perihelion, of course, but still!

Hmm... Let me do the math!

(One equation later)

Uhh...

Did you expect an SOI of 22,579,111,107 kilometers? That's over 150.9 Astronomical Units!

Spoiler

I got that value using the predicted semi major axis of 700 AU, a predicted mass of 10 Earth masses, and the mass of the Sun in solar masses.

So, today's the day that we finally see whether our spacecraft will be inserted into orbit around the Giant Planet Jupiter.

Coverage on this will begin at 10:30 EST (7:30 PM PST, 2:30AM UTC), and the insertion will be in about an hour and thirty minutes (as of typing this up).

It's first page stuff:

https://www.nasa.gov/

The only thing unfortunate about this amazing mission is that tons of conspiracy theorists will post tons of videos trying to prove that it's fake :(.

Oh well, we'll get them to learn someday.

Okay. This is the ninth mission to Jupiter. Five minutes to go.

1. Pioneer 10 flyby.

2. Pioneer 11 flyby.

3. Voyager flyby

4. Voyager 2 flyby

5. Ulyssses flyby.

6. Gallileo Orbiter.

7. Cassini flyby

8. New Horizons flyby.

9. Juno orbit.

That makes Juno the second ever spacecraft to orbit Jupiter!