Juno Arrival This Year!

KAL 9000

There will be another Post burn conference at 1am EDT.. Not much happening right now except slowing down the spin and turning the panels back to earth

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

So... How long till it starts sending back actual science? I'm guessing there wasn't much going on during the approach/burn. 

in 53 days when it returns.  All the instruments were turned off 5 days ago to minimize any danger for the burn

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So... How long till it starts sending back actual science? I'm guessing there wasn't much going on during the approach/burn. 

All their science equipment is off for the insertion. They will get science on the next close approach at the end of August according to the NASA dude. 53 day eccentric orbit.

I've just gone through NASA's "press kit" and found one enormous, glaring omission: while constantly talking about Juno's lowest altitude above Jupiter, now and in future orbits, as being between 4000km and 8000km, it never once mentions what the craft's apoapsis (apojove) will be. I find this to be curious and also particularly stupid since the news bulletins aren't giving people a proper idea of how elliptic the orbit is.

The first couple of orbits are described as being 53.5 days long, and then the science orbits will be 14 days long, so knowing that and knowing that perijove is circa 5000km altitude, and knowing all the other relevant details of Jupiter (mass, radius), it should be relatively simple to calculate apojove, but it's an effort that nobody seems to be making. And even then, that's 5000km above "1-bar atmosphere" so that leaves the question of what the actual radius of the orbit is at perijove. So again, why doesn't NASA just give some numbers for apojove?

The only actual indication of apojove that I've found is on http://spaceflight101.com/juno/juno-mission-trajectory-design/  where it says that the science orbits have an apojove of 39 Jupiter radii.

I'm particularly annoyed about this because this is a great opportunity to educate the masses about how orbits and orbit insertion work. It would appear that the first orbit apojove will be somewhere in the region of 5 to 10 million km from Jupiter (I too haven't bothered doing the calculations) and the science orbits will be slightly under 3 million km from the planet. If NASA had just said this in its press packs, it would avoid idiocies like I just heard on TV where a "science correspondent" said that the probe will be "a minimum of 5,000km and a maximum of 10,000km" from the planet... :mad:

Edited by Plusck

I'm getting more annoyed with the NASA Juno "press kit".

According to my KSP orbital spreadsheet, modified to use Jupiter's data (radius 71492000m, mass 1.8986x1027kg) and with a Pe of 4200 km and Ap of 10 million km, velocity at Pe is 57.65 km/s. JOI is a 35-minute burn which, according to the press pack, imparts a "mean change in velocity" (whatever the hell that means*) of 542 m/s. Therefore, on arrival at Pe it could not be going faster than 58.2 km/s, or 210,000 km/h or 130,000 mph relative to Jupiter.

The press kit gives Juno's maximum speed as being 165,000 mph. That is 73.3 km/s. In other words, that is the combined right-angle sum of vectors of its Jupiter-relative velocity at Pe plus the relative velocity difference of 43 km/s when Earth and Jupiter are on opposite sides of the Sun. It's artificial and pretty meaningless (any satellite on the other side of the Sun from us gets an automatic 60km/s "speed boost" if you look at it like that).

Oh and of course, just after saying it'll be going at over 150,000 mph, the press pack says the spacecraft "slams on the brakes" when it reaches Jupiter. And "after slowing down, Juno can then enter Jupiter orbit". It's a particularly retarded way of describing the process, mixing Earth-relative speeds with Jupiter-relative braking, and suggesting that getting into orbit is something you do "after" braking.

And to top it all off, those last couple of lines are accompanied by an infographic that gives a top speed for a bicycle at "70 mph" !?! This is just another meaningless figure (top bicycle sprint speeds are typically 50mph), especially compared to the meaningless human "15mph" (athletes do much better) and car "100mph" (which all but the most underpowered cars can easily exceed).

*(unless they expect Juno to explode in the process, in which case a "mean change in velocity" might actually mean something)