[1.1] EveBiomesPlus v1.0: Add new biomes to Eve

Snark

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent mod! Works just as described. It brings better balance to the game. I haven't done the math, but it certainly feels like you can get more science from the Mun and Minmus that you can from Eve. 

Do you have plans to add more biomes to other planets?

3 hours ago, sebbemann said:

Excellent mod! Works just as described. It brings better balance to the game. I haven't done the math, but it certainly feels like you can get more science from the Mun and Minmus that you can from Eve. 

Do you have plans to add more biomes to other planets?

:wink:

• 2 months later...

So... Eve just got a facelift in stock with KSP 1.2.  The stock game now has "Crater Lake", "Western Sea", and "Eastern Sea", which correspond to my own Crater Lake, Kraken Sea, and Sea of Sorrows.  (Jeez, one of 'em even has the same name!  Remember, folks, you saw it here first.)  :wink:

So there's slightly less reason for this mod than there used to be, though I still have some biomes that stock doesn't (Impact Basins, Minor Islands, Mount Neverest).

I expect at some point I'll update this mod for compatibility; likely I'll bow to the Forces of History and axe my own Crater Lake, Kraken Sea, and Sea of Sorrows (or at least make them conform to the stock map).  I may keep the names, I kinda like 'em (and I've got all these nifty science defs to go with them...)

Also... for the folks to whom I said "Duna's next" ... well, Duna got a whole new bushel o' biomes in KSP 1.2, so there's a lot less reason for me to make a Duna mod at this point.  Is probably not going to happen.

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, TheJewelOfJool said:

Sorry for the bump, but has this mod been abandoned?

Pretty much, yeah.  I may come back and revisit in the future someday, but my motivation's not super high and it likely won't be soon.

My original motivation for making it was that Eve was just so dull and under-biomed... seemed like a real shame, given how much effort one has to expend to get there and back.  Seemed like there should be a better reward for all the effort.

Now in 1.2 they've seriously jazzed up the biomes, so that's rendered this mod kinda moot.  It's not totally superfluous-- for example, it has the little micro-biome around Eve's highest peak, and some little touches like "Minor Islands" and such.  It's just that now the Eve biomes are so much better in stock than they used to be, that there's less additional benefit in customizing them.

That's not to say I'd never give this another go (i.e. come up with a revised version that builds on the existing stock Eve biomes, adds a few more, adds science defs for them, etc.)... but it's quite a bit of work for what seems like (now) not a lot of added benefit, so it hasn't been very high on my list of priorities, and probably won't happen any time soon.

Basically, what it boils down to is:  before 1.2, I found Eve frustrating, and the irritation was enough to prompt me to write this mod.  Now Eve's so much nicer in stock that I'm not actively irritated, so I don't have so much motivation to tinker with it.  :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.