Don't Kerbals on EVA count technically as craft

FirstSecondThird

36 minutes ago, FirstSecondThird said:

Heheheh, yeah. Sh*t happens; like you losing your landing legs and forcing yourself to land on your side and be stranded forever on the Mun. (True story back in 0.17)

I had an interesting experience with that a few days ago... I was landing the final component (crew quarters and greenhouse) of a multi-part surface outpost on Minmus, but I overcorrected and the whole module tipped over and landed on its side. It was pretty massive, and didn't have the torque to right itself again. I was afraid I'd have to send a skycrane to pick it up and put it on its feet... but then I remembered that I had a couple of engineers on site, and that I play with KIS/KAS! Using my high-level knowledge of Newtonian physics, I sent one of the engineers to remove some of the RCS maneuvering jets and bolt them back on much further from the center of mass, strategically placed in exactly the right spot to provide maximum torque in the correct direction. With that, the module was easily able to push itself back upright and successfully complete the outpost. Hooray for physics!

If you think about it, it's not the kerbals themselves that are the craft, but their spacesuits with attached EVA gear that makes for the craft, with the kerbal still being the operator/pilot. And as long as they are out in the field, as in anywhere that's not inside the Astronaut Complex, they will be wearing their suit.

Gets me to imagining a kerbal spacesuit with an OKTO drone sitting inside the helmet for doing unkerballed EVA missions.

48 minutes ago, samstarman5 said:

If you think about it, it's not the kerbals themselves that are the craft, but their spacesuits with attached EVA gear that makes for the craft, with the kerbal still being the operator/pilot. And as long as they are out in the field, as in anywhere that's not inside the Astronaut Complex, they will be wearing their suit.

Gets me to imagining a kerbal spacesuit with an OKTO drone sitting inside the helmet for doing unkerballed EVA missions.

That'd be awesome! (And hilarious, as well)

6 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

Finally, a way for probe cores to collect surface samples and write EVA reports!

On 3/10/2016 at 5:45 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You clearly haven't played Soma or that idea would horrify you.

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20151103101439

P.S You should play Soma, It's scary!

Trust me, mate. Imagining an OKTO core sitting inside a kerbal helmet scares the bejeezus out of me. That is part of the appeal, to be honest.

You ever see Saturn 3?

11 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

Trust me, mate. Imagining an OKTO core sitting inside a kerbal helmet scares the bejeezus out of me. That is part of the appeal, to be honest.

You ever see Saturn 3?

Nope! But I'm looking at it on IMDB right now/ checking out a trailer on YouTube and I'm totally thinking about watching it.

I love classic Sci-Fi movies, whether they are genuinely good, campy, or a little bit of both.

Thanks for the recommendation!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.