Devnote Tuesday: An Overdue Break

SQUAD

50 minutes ago, Claw said:

The user isn't searching for ?ion. The part is specifying that it only wants to be found if "ion" is the search term.

So how does this stop a search for "ion" finding "station"? Or was the original post mistaken and the "station" term has the question mark?

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

So how does this stop a search for "ion" finding "station"? Or was the original post mistaken and the "station" term has the question mark?

It doesn't, it would stop a search for station from finding ion, but not vice versa. One of the other tags does work in both directions though.

I did give regex a test, but seeing as we have on average about ten tags per part, on around three hundred parts...regex was choking up to say the least. I'm looking at some ways to improve that performance, and if I can, I'll look into including native regex searching in the future. For now, the tag specifiers are helping out quite a bit without choking up anything.

Edited by Arsonide

46 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Do you mean slats? Because they are useless for that. They don't increase lift when deployed down, they add downforce, which is not what you'd want.

Nope, he means flaps.  Slats are for crazy people who like their flaps in front, where they arguably shouldn't be if you don't like control reversal.

Just now, Archgeek said:

Hmmm, I'm not too sure KSP's model actually supports that effect.  Claw totally meant flaps, though.

yup, it doesn't, as i mentioned a few posts back. I was guessing what his last use for them was.

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Do you mean slats? Because they are useless for that. They don't increase lift when deployed down, they add downforce, which is not what you'd want.

You are correct that slats (and leading edge flaps) do not work in KSP. That's because KSP doesn't model changes in chord length or camber. You'd have to invert the deployment to get the right effect, but then it looks...odd...

9 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Is the Deploy-Symmetry-Bug fixed? I had a craft, where the editor claimed that a Deploy action was set for both a part and its mirror, but when on the runway, only one side ever deployed.

I'm guessing you probably ran into the bug that symmetric action groups are lost if you pull off a part and put it back on again. So in this case, sounds like you may have built the ship, assigned an action group to deploy the control surface, then subsequently pulled that part off and put back on. Looking at action groups in this case is misleading because the clicking on the action group will highlight all the symmetric parts, but they won't all actually be in the action group.

In which case, yes, that's fixed. (That was actually mentioned in last weeks devnotes.)

1 minute ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Oooh, how are you picking the new moderators? I'd love to help!

I'm not sure you can help with the new moderator picking process. :P

Though I gather you mean that you want to help with the forum moderation. In which case, you'll have to send a PM to Kasper.

Are there any new tweakables for fairings (eg. number panels and ejection force)? Are any StockPlus features in 1.1? They really improve the gameplay.

Speaking of fairings, can their weight be tweaked down a bit? Smaller rockets are significantly impacted by the mass of fairings, which are much lighter IRL. Also would love for a retexture to remove the ugly yellow rings, but I presume that is already planned for 1.2.

Edited by Giggleplex777

2 hours ago, Giggleplex777 said:

Are there any new tweakables for fairings (eg. number panels and ejection force)?

I think this was mentioned a couple weeks ago. There's a clamshell option now, and you can also control how many sides it has. There's a few StockPlus type features in there, though maybe not exactly in the same form.

15 hours ago, Claw said:

I'm not sure you can help with the new moderator picking process. :P

Though I gather you mean that you want to help with the forum moderation. In which case, you'll have to send a PM to Kasper.

(My emphasis.)

15 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

But yeah, I'd totally like to help with moderatoring @KasperVld

He told you to send KasperVld a PM. That is, go to the top of the forum page, click on the "envelope" icon by your nickname to see your PM inbox, click on Compose New and write a PM to KasperVld.

When I need wildcard I just always use /^query.*$./gm If you type ion you will not station, and I replace every * with .* in the query. Now you can find station with *ion. (query is of course the search term.)

I'm really curious for the Unity 5 update and performance changes!

7 hours ago, softweir said:

He told you to send KasperVld a PM. That is, go to the top of the forum page, click on the "envelope" icon by your nickname to see your PM inbox, click on Compose New and write a PM to KasperVld.

And yes, trying not to get snarky, but still, did it really need emphasizing? I'm not very dumb. I'll send him one when I get the time, as I'm typing this in class.

On 3/9/2016 at 9:56 PM, Claw said:

How flight controls "fly" has not changed. If you pitch/roll/yaw your vessel, it will pitch/roll/yaw just like it always did.

What changed is how they "Deploy," or how the flap function works (if you want to think of it that way). As @godefroi said, the change applies to the right-click "Deploy" option (which causes flight controls to deflect without any input). The problem was that the editor and in-flight were using different reference points, which means that deployment in the editor didn't always match deployment in flight (again, separate from how the flight controls react to pitch/roll/yaw input).

And because of that, flight controls can now radially deploy when attached in radial symmetry, and will mirror deploy when attached mirrored.

BA4Wiz4.png

Again, this is completely separate from pitch/roll/yaw inputs, which continue to function as they always did

This is probably not a good idea.  Throwing the vessel into a spin is not an effective technique for doing anything.

It seriously breaks my early career stage craft designs that rely on pitching up heavily on reentry using flaps.

Pitching hard is preferable.  It could derive the axis in the same manner as controls.

3 hours ago, Ruedii said:

This is probably not a good idea.  Throwing the vessel into a spin is not an effective technique for doing anything.

It seriously breaks my early career stage craft designs that rely on pitching up heavily on reentry using flaps.

Pitching hard is preferable.  It could derive the axis in the same manner as controls.

The way I read it, that's only in radial symmetry. Just put it into mirror symmetry and it should work fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.