ag3nt108

I have tried to find this both on the KAS wiki and in general on forums and reddit etc,  Im sure its hidden in plain sight but my internet skills don't seem up to the task. Before I land my fuel dump on the Mun, whats the maximum range of the pipes available in KAS ?.  Reason I ask is that I'm actually not that wonderful at landing heavy tanker style craft near to my well head.  As a possible solution I'm considering providing my engineer with 2 small rovers to act as movable extensions.  Thus in circumstances where my landing is a little off I can link a pipe from the drill to a rover and then to the tanker.  I have seen lots of examples of tanker that have there own wheels, thats not an option I can use yet as I don't have the tech to use wheels capable of supporting the weight.

I don't know exactly but it's the order of double the length of an orange tank.  You can extend the range either by using a rover as you suggest (I have connectors on both ends of my rovers for exactly this purpose), or by using the concrete ground base thing in KIS/KAS with a couple of ports on it.  On the Mun I have concrete base near the maximum pipe range to the East of my station and this means I can usually land somewhere within range of a pipe from the concrete base.  As far as I know there's no limit to the number of connections so you could chain concrete bases or rovers all the way to wherever you land, but this might get time consuming if you landed a kilometre away.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

I want to say it's around 30-40 meters. As Randazzo said, you can simply bring extra pipes, and pylons, placing a pylon at just below each distance where the link fails---so you can connect things arbitrarily far apart.

10 hours ago, ag3nt108 said:

I have tried to find this both on the KAS wiki and in general on forums and reddit etc,  Im sure its hidden in plain sight but my internet skills don't seem up to the task. Before I land my fuel dump on the Mun, whats the maximum range of the pipes available in KAS ?.  Reason I ask is that I'm actually not that wonderful at landing heavy tanker style craft near to my well head.  As a possible solution I'm considering providing my engineer with 2 small rovers to act as movable extensions.  Thus in circumstances where my landing is a little off I can link a pipe from the drill to a rover and then to the tanker.  I have seen lots of examples of tanker that have there own wheels, thats not an option I can use yet as I don't have the tech to use wheels capable of supporting the weight.

1. In the VAB/SPH take any manned pod you wish.
  2. Add a single pipe connector to it.
  3. Launch.
  4. EVA and 'grab' the pipe.
  5. Start walking. As soon as it turns red you'll know you've exceeded the maximum distance.
  6. Look back at the pod and see how far you have walked.

It really is not that hard to figure things out.

One thing to note is that you've just landed close to a mining rig, and therefore fuel is unlimited and free.

Adjust your throttle to get 1TWR, hover, and tip slightly towards the mining rig before going back to vertical.  Let your ship hover slowly over and then set it back down.  Take your time.

If you burn 1000 units of fuel, no biggie, the mining station has lots more where that came from :D

Just have a rover with a fuel tank on the back to provide enough fuel to hover over in case of dry landings.

Back before I could land within a few meters of where I wanted, I used to solve this problem with lots of pylons and fuel pipes. I'd land, and then use the pylons and fuel pipes to connect my ship. Then - and this is the important part - I'd leave them there.

The next time I landed, I'd run more pylons and fuel pipes, and continue this until I had a spiderweb of fuel lines from my base outward. Then, wherever I landed I'd be able to refuel.

And I used to wonder why I had so many problems with the game crashing :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.