The Oberth Effect

The short answer to your question:  Yes.  The long answer: this thread.  Ultimately, it's not something that needs to be specifically simulated, but a consequence of physics in general.

(Edit:  As a side-note for my fellow rocketeers, I actually found that thread just by typing "Oberth Effect in KSP" into Google.  It was, quite literally, the first result.  It always pays to at least check the first page of Google results before starting a new thread.  There are a lot of us, and this community is several years old, so unless your question is about brand-new features it's likely already been asked many times before.  May all your rockets remain pointed toward space!)

Edited by Aetharan

1 hour ago, Aetharan said:

The short answer to your question:  Yes.  The long answer: this thread.  Ultimately, it's not something that needs to be specifically simulated, but a consequence of physics in general.

(Edit:  As a side-note for my fellow rocketeers, I actually found that thread just by typing "Oberth Effect in KSP" into Google.  It was, quite literally, the first result.  It always pays to at least check the first page of Google results before starting a new thread.  There are a lot of us, and this community is several years old, so unless your question is about brand-new features it's likely already been asked many times before.  May all your rockets remain pointed toward space!)

I should be able to "like" your post twice because I agree with both parts.

3 minutes ago, Snark said:

Absolutely... and bonus points for style to @Aetharan for being gracious about the second point, and not just posting a lmgtfy link or something.  :)

At the risk of farther-derailing the thread, the fact that a single post is currently responsible for over 25% of my rep points kind of drives home the need to respond.  It's actually a bit embarrassing to be getting "like"s for choosing to embrace Wheaton's Law, rather than being another example of the GIFT.  I certainly don't need that kind of reinforcement to treat my fellow players decently.  (Note: The GIFT link contains language inappropriate for minors.)

We're gathered here to celebrate a shared love of a non-competitive, creative game.  All of the reasons that one would normally find in other game-focused communities for people to be cruel to one another just don't exist here.  Upvote me when I impress you with some accomplishment I want to share, beat a challenge, or manage to pull a prompt and helpful answer to a question.  Not for just failing to be vile.

11 minutes ago, Aetharan said:

At the risk of farther-derailing the thread, the fact that a single post is currently responsible for over 25% of my rep points kind of drives home the need to respond.  It's actually a bit embarrassing to be getting "like"s for choosing to embrace Wheaton's Law, rather than being another example of the GIFT.  I certainly don't need that kind of reinforcement to treat my fellow players decently.  (Note: The GIFT link contains language inappropriate for minors.)

We're gathered here to celebrate a shared love of a non-competitive, creative game.  All of the reasons that one would normally find in other game-focused communities for people to be cruel to one another just don't exist here.  Upvote me when I impress you with some accomplishment I want to share, beat a challenge, or manage to pull a prompt and helpful answer to a question.  Not for just failing to be vile.

Oh, absolutely, and I can see that you don't need such encouragement.

But lots of other people are reading the forums too, and I can tell you that although the KSP community is by and large a pretty nice group of folks, I've seen a few from time to time who may be able to use a refresher on Wheaton's Law.

So, my liking your post (and vocally endorsing it) is directed more at the community than at you personally.  It's my way of telling people "Be like this guy."  :)

Edited by Snark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.