1.1 New Feature: Cutaway Interiors!

CalculusWarrior

7 hours ago, Nich said:

I will never use this idea but I think it is great.  I suspect KSP story tellers like @Kuzzter will love it and it should make comics even better. I hope this doesn't diminish his open EVA super curzer.  I 100% am glad they included this

I use the mod Enhanced IVA to do this now, but it has limitations. Anything that gives me more ways to take pictures of kerbals in the ship is a good thing :) 

Sweet! This was one of my suggestions! :D I think it looks great! and could lead to moving kerbals around inside later on. Especially if eventually we get a habitation mechanic at some point this could be really amazing for immersion. 

Very cool. I am curious, what features will build up on this.

However... It is the death of clipped command pods. This will bite my new Constellation lander in the butt, as it uses a 4 kerbal command pod, built out of 4 MK I capsules for the ascend vehicle.... Well... Back to 2 kerbals and one additional ascend vehicle then.

But, i really like that feature already... :)

9 hours ago, NovaSilisko said:

Hmmmm. Neat, but I'm not sure what utility it would serve. Would be nice to be able to view the interiors through windows.

Windows would be dope! Makes me wonder why nobody yet did such a thing...

Otherwise, don't really think the internal view is that much more than a 'why not?' feature cause stuff is being rendered anyway. Gonna make a bunch of modders (and users) quite happy, there are a bunch of Space Station parts with full IVA support.

Edited by Temeter

10 hours ago, CalculusWarrior said:

DasValdez discovered a new feature in the 1.1 Experimentals build (see his recent Twitch stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/dasvaldez/v/53247671?t=04h33m53s) and was given permission to share the images! It appears to be a cutaway mode, where by pressing a button, the interior view of capsules can be visible from the outside of ships.

Woah - I can't begin to express how fabulous this is.  Okay, so functionally, it's probably useless - but damn, for anyone who recognises my avatar, can probably guess at my reaction to this.  This is totally Dan Kerbal, Pilot of the Future.

Wemb

article-2326510-19D77418000005DC-493_964

4 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Do we have any actual confirmation that this is part of 1.1? Instead of using a mod to generate the screenshot? Since it's a non-squad source, I'm skeptical until it's confirmed. :)

Really.  Have people not seen free IVA?  That mod does exactly that.  Try looking to see if any Kerbals are missing their heads.  If so, it's that mod.

Here's the thread by @pizzaoverhead

Edited by Guest
Add the thread.

6 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Do we have any actual confirmation that this is part of 1.1? Instead of using a mod to generate the screenshot? Since it's a non-squad source, I'm skeptical until it's confirmed. :)

DasValdez mentioned in the stream that the images were from 1.1 and that he'd received permission from Squad to share them.

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

DasValdez mentioned in the stream that the images were from 1.1 and that he'd received permission from Squad to share them.

OK cool. I don't have any reason to believe he's hoaxing us specifically. I'm just cautious about taking anything as truth if it didn't come from an official source directly. Healthy skepticism, etc. ;)

Statically, neat, but not something I'll use.

If a baseline towards doing interior/exterior EVA views, moving around within the ships - I'm all for it. you either ahve a path thru the interior to the module you're going to, or you go outside to get there.

Perhaps stock EVA FPV is not far behind here ?

29 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Really.  Have people not seen free IVA?  That mod does exactly that.  Try looking to see if any Kerbals are missing their heads.  If so, it's that mod.

Here's the thread by @pizzaoverhead

Looks like Squad will get their own version of Free IVA finished long before I ever do! :) Some of the parts are already pretty interesting inside, and will be fun to crawl around in:

exBblIw.png

Full Free IVA development album:

I don't care if it's useful or not, it's a cool feature, and will probably become one of my favourites. I've always wanted to be able to see cutaways of the parts, in part because I am very suspicious about how the Kerbals actually fit inside (they're a little too big on EVA). If this is a precursor to moving around inside ships, all the better. I would also love an option for window transparency from the outside.

Also interested in how this might impact my own base design. Like, what parts will be made so that crew can pass through them, and in what configurations, because I will absolutely redo my stations if the current ones turn out to not make any sense.

No thank you squad. Turn this into see-through windows please. 

I don't understand why they keep adding useless features like this to the game.. same thing with destructible building, why on earth would they think that was a feature that KSP needed to have? This isn't a war game.

Meanwhile things like life-support, radiation, remote tech, delta v calculators etc all go unfinished and useless features take up development time. 

7 minutes ago, TeeGee said:

No thank you squad. Turn this into see-through windows please. 

I don't understand why they keep adding useless features like this to the game.. same thing with destructible building, why on earth would they think that was a feature that KSP needed to have? This isn't a war game.

Meanwhile things like life-support, radiation, remote tech, delta v calculators etc all go unfinished and useless features take up development time. 

It, and other features like it, is fun. I'm sorry you disagree.

Re: other stuff, I'd like those too.

definitely it looks nice, but if it have no use at all it will become useless for most players.. like watch one or two times and thats it

would be really cool if they make new science experiments in future like the real ISS and you have to IVA the scientist to that experiment in order to do the science there, or EVA to the science jr and to put it in the big lab IVA inside and put samples in different experiements.. could be also nice to have a limitation on that lab like 2 or 3 experiements connected to which you could change later if you want

I love the look of stations where you have lots of connected habitation modules.  It really gives you an feeling of a crewed station.  I'd love to see it expanded to other parts so you could see the liquid fuel and oxidizer tanks in the fuel parts, but you'd need that as a second option (Livable parts, other parts, both).

The important thing to remember is that it might just be eye candy now, but future updates could add features like full movement in IVA so you can move around the inside of the station and transfer crew between craft.  Add transparent windows then you've got a really immersive experience.  I really hope Squad expands on this in future releases, it's a great way to expand the game.