1.1 New Feature: Cutaway Interiors!

CalculusWarrior

Seems like every other thread requires wearing riot gear these days. Sad.

Contrary to popular belief coders are also human, although we may be a strange, fairly crepuscular variety, we are also subject to frustrations and limited focus.  Having spent days/weeks working on one aspect you need a break, and not a nice walk in the country, or a day off (a day off mid problem can actually be disastrous for moral); what a lot of coders need is actually a change of focus, while remaining in the same codebase.  ie doing something that is a bit lighter on the ol' noggin, or a bit more fun, or something that brings a feeling of "win".  It's very important to let coders do that, it helps maintain their enthusiasm for the project.

26 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Seems like every other thread requires wearing riot gear these days. Sad.

Contrary to popular belief coders are also human, although we may be a strange, fairly crepuscular variety, we are also subject to frustrations and limited focus.  Having spent days/weeks working on one aspect you need a break, and not a nice walk in the country, or a day off (a day off mid problem can actually be disastrous for moral); what a lot of coders need is actually a change of focus, while remaining in the same codebase.  ie doing something that is a bit lighter on the ol' noggin, or a bit more fun, or something that brings a feeling of "win".  It's very important to let coders do that, it helps maintain their enthusiasm for the project.

Exactly, why go to the effort to be bothered about something that you have no real information on. I`d like to code something that did this just for fun, if it gives us a more polished game later down the line that`s all good. If it uses too many resources it will be shelved or made optional. Who could be bothered by that situation?

I reckon Squad should look at this thread and then come to the decision that any time they see this level of agitation in the community they should ignore it because this thread is based on zero information and a couple of images so that means this thread is the base level of agitation that happens *whatever* is posted...

5 hours ago, Majorjim said:

In fairness man who has pizza above his head, if it is not for us why was it touted as a 1.1 'feature'?

"DasValdez discovered a new feature in the 1.1 Experimentals build" is hardly "touting it as a 1.1 feature". Here's another development tool that wasn't intentionally hidden:

NoThPrV.jpg

It's not made for you, but if you can find a use for it, then feel free. If not, you can pretend it doesn't exist. It has no effect on your game when disabled.

If it is a development tool why show it at all?

That's the real question. The Alt+F12 debug/cheat menu could be removed entirely. After all, the game has after all been released, it's not a beta product in testing. Why haven't the developers hidden this stuff away from users? Probably because they believe that the users want these tools to remain available.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

3 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

"DasValdez discovered a new feature in the 1.1 Experimentals build" is hardly "touting it as a 1.1 feature". Here's another development tool that wasn't intentionally hidden:

Emphasis mine.

the 'feature' was shown, touted.

4 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

It has no effect on your game when disabled.

This is good to hear.

IF (very big IF) It has no significant effect on performance, I'm ok with the feature. It's not useful, but it's visually cool. Compare it to clouds: they wouldn't be useful  and many people want them.

OTOH, they could add, one year after the resource mining system, fuel transfer pipes for surface fueling operations. And no, I will never use the claw for that. Ramming your ships with the claw to fuel them breaks inmersion.

Edited by DoToH

32 minutes ago, DoToH said:

IF (very big IF) It has no significant effect on performance, I'm ok with the feature. It's not useful, but it's visually cool. Compare it to clouds: they wouldn't be useful  and many people want them.

OTOH, they could add, one year after the resource mining system, fuel transfer pipes for surface fueling operations. And no, I will never use the claw for that. Ramming your ships with the claw to fuel them breaks inmersion.

While I agree, I just assume the claw is dual-purpose.

It would be pretty easy (read: I've never modded and have no idea how easy it'd be) to reskin the Claw part into a "Connection hose" that works in exactly the same way as the current Claw, but doesn't look quite so destructive.

That said, not at LEAST having some sort of fuel pipe system (even a hand-wavey one where you can - say - transfer fuel between ships that are landed within 50m of each other) to go along with the ISRU bases boggles my mind.

5 hours ago, DMagic said:

@5thHorseman It's not even difficult to implement a fuel transfer system... Though I would suggest a slightly less absurd method, like reskinning the fuel line. :D

But 'the claw' already has all the code etc built in due to how it works.  So copying and editing it to make a smaller diameter, but slightly longer model with the code adjusted accordingly and crew transfer disabled is probably (I say probably because I don't actually 'know') not that big a job

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

But 'the claw' already has all the code etc built in due to how it works.  So copying and editing it to make a smaller diameter, but slightly longer model with the code adjusted accordingly and crew transfer disabled is probably (I say probably because I don't actually 'know') not that big a job

Disabling crew transfer (or any other kind of transfer) would be quite difficult, as the Claw links 2 ships into 1 as if you used docking ports. So, this Claw clone (Clawne?) would link the ships together as well.

And I for one wouldn't mind that. Crew transfer around ships already allows you to go through girders and the like, why not allow transferring through fuel lines? If it bothers you, either don't do it or just assume you're taking a shortcut to doing the busy work of getting out, clambering around, and getting into the other ship.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Disabling crew transfer (or any other kind of transfer) would be quite difficult, as the Claw links 2 ships into 1 as if you used docking ports. So, this Claw clone (Clawne?) would link the ships together as well.

OK, that makes sense.  Just goes to show how much I know :D. Thanks for the explanation.

I could certainly live with crew transfer through it, it's not that big an issue it just feels a bit 'wrong', but it would mean the 'clawne' is nothing more than a 'claw' with a different model, so there's no real point in that.  Hopefully a proper stock solution will get implemented at some point.

Anyway, apologies to the OP, we've gone off topic a bit.

Interesting but im probably not going to use it much if at all since it kinda breaks immersion since you'd never have such a view in reality.  The time spent doing this would be far better spent making the game less laggy and fixing bugs.  With the amount of parts in current game more then enough for my standards, i kinda wish they just focused on making the game actually playable with ~1000 parts loaded at once.

Wish you could see the IVAs through the windows instead of the way they implemented it.  that would actually look really cool and not break immersion.  Itd be so cool to have transparent windows where you can see the kerbals as they scream in horror seeing their impending doom (aerobraking at eve :D) without having to go IVA.

19 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Interesting but im probably not going to use it much if at all since it kinda breaks immersion since you'd never have such a view in reality. 

And in reality there is a magic third person camera that floats around your ship? Is it really that immersion breaking to assume that camera got an x-ray upgrade? 

24 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Wish you could see the IVAs through the windows instead of the way they implemented it.  that would actually look really cool and not break immersion.  Itd be so cool to have transparent windows where you can see the kerbals as they scream in horror seeing their impending doom (aerobraking at eve :D) without having to go IVA.

Of course you'd only see them scream, not hear. In fact, you shouldn't hear anything while in space. That would break immersion too.

33 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Interesting but im probably not going to use it much if at all since it kinda breaks immersion since you'd never have such a view in reality.  The time spent doing this would be far better spent making the game less laggy and fixing bugs.  With the amount of parts in current game more then enough for my standards, i kinda wish they just focused on making the game actually playable with ~1000 parts loaded at once.

Don't mean to be a jerk, but I didn't know music blared from invisible speakers in space, rocket designs can fly around and be constructd instantaneously...

6 hours ago, panzer1b said:

The time spent doing this would be far better spent making the game less laggy and fixing bugs.

Or, if the matter is changing programers focus for few hours, developing simple and useful features, There are many useful and simple things they could have added (someone should read suggestion forum).

As I said before: I would add other features before this one, but can't say I don't like it.

On March 10, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Pthigrivi said:

Sweet! This was one of my suggestions! :D I think it looks great! and could lead to moving kerbals around inside later on. Especially if eventually we get a habitation mechanic at some point this could be really amazing for immersion. 

I too like the new feature.

Your idea for a habitation mechanic is most excellent!

Hopefully something more will come of it :)

Thanks Homie! I have no idea if they even read that suggestion but Im happy something similar is happening (cutaway I mean). God I am really effing excited for 1.1. GIMME DAT HEATSHIELD.

Edited by Pthigrivi

You know what, even if the only benefit from the devs doing this little coding exercise was that they felt a little better coming in to work I fully support it.

It really is not easy bringing yourself back to the same code over and over and when all you get for every action you do is 5 nice comments drowning in a sea of malcontent it can really reduce your desire to continue. Remember, by buying the game you agreed that Squad owe you nothing more than what was available at the time you bought the game so they could just stop if they wanted to and nobody wants that.

So, if you really care about the game and whether it is given the chance to fulfil the potential it has then you`ll try to limit the negative comments because they don`t benefit you in any way and may even cause the opposite of what you would want and instead try to constructively comment on how you would improve the game, ideally in the suggestions forum.

Okay, let me get into this a bit deeper. If you check out Pizza's post there's something subtle but important happening here, which is interior spaces are no longer bullpucky. Linking them clearly to the exteriors makes them legit spaces that can be used not just for a sense of interior continuity but for future gameplay, including moving kerbals through interior spaces like they were exterior spaces. This may not sound like a big gameplay revolution right now, but its really important groundwork for what could be some interesting things in the future. Maybe down the road it matters if crew are manning a command module or in a habitation space or in the science module. You're not going to want to break warp to micromanage your kerbals all the time, but it might be nice to strategically place them to say, automatically record science or man a drill rig or fly a lander. Enabling them to move inside a module via WASD vs right-clicking and transferring with text windows would mean properly linking interior spaces would be a design constraint, and could create a fuller sense of realism and make individual kerbals more vital to missions. This might sound abstract, but making sure there is an actual passageway from one space to another IRL is every bit as important as engine ISP.

Edited by Pthigrivi

On ‎12‎-‎03‎-‎2016 at 6:31 PM, FullMetalMachinist said:

And in reality there is a magic third person camera that floats around your ship? Is it really that immersion breaking to assume that camera got an x-ray upgrade? 

Well, we all have different subjective borders for our immersion breaking and usually it is pretty arbitrary. :) 

I like the cutaways, I think they're pretty cool and a nice thing to have... but it's not high on my priority list.

But as allways I'm for as many things as possible for as many people as possible. That's whats cool about ksp... the choices ingame and through mods... players can play it so differently, that it's like different games alltogether.