[WIN] KML - Persistence file editor

Mythos

Also selecting multiple nodes with Shift+Click+Click would be helpful for deleting or moving up/down

On 1/26/2022 at 8:19 PM, Mythos said:

You probably don't want to click on each node for your task

I was thinking about something like that - "i" button enable/disable lines amounts and indexes

RhgnKfV.jpeg 

Edited by flart

• 2 weeks later...

Released 0.9.2, see OP.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:32 AM, flart said:

I was thinking about something like that - "i" button enable/disable lines amounts and indexes

Sorry, I expected you wouldn't love it, but I didn't want any GUI clutter for a feature hardly anyone cares about. So it now it just displays line count in the context menu of each node.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One thing I was wondering: Is it possible to save craft directly from the persistent.sfs file into a .CRAFT file? Is that something that could be done relatively easily using KML? I know that you can open .CRAFT files using it and the structure is there, but I wasn't able to work out how to take the craft from the save file and ensure it had the same structure needed for a .CRAFT file.

KerbalTek had a Craft Extractor, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm hoping KML can come through for me.

5 minutes ago, madindehead said:

One thing I was wondering: Is it possible to save craft directly from the persistent.sfs file into a .CRAFT file? Is that something that could be done relatively easily using KML? I know that you can open .CRAFT files using it and the structure is there, but I wasn't able to work out how to take the craft from the save file and ensure it had the same structure needed for a .CRAFT file.

KerbalTek had a Craft Extractor, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm hoping KML can come through for me.

I'm sorry to say, that KML can't help you with that. You can open .craft files with KML, but not much more than that. I don't know why Squad had chosen to write .craft files differently from the FLIGHTSTATE section of the .sfs file, but it is complicated to translate from one to the other.

Why does the Craft Extractor not work? Is is due to dependency hell not even starting anymore? Or does it run but can't deal with latest version save files (no real radical changes there)?

13 minutes ago, Mythos said:

I'm sorry to say, that KML can't help you with that. You can open .craft files with KML, but not much more than that. I don't know why Squad had chosen to write .craft files differently from the FLIGHTSTATE section of the .sfs file, but it is complicated to translate from one to the other.

Why does the Craft Extractor not work? Is is due to dependency hell not even starting anymore? Or does it run but can't deal with latest version save files (no real radical changes there)?

Not a problem. Yeah, some of the decisions do seem weird, but hey - are we surprised at this point?

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with it. The website loads fine and apparently someone uploaded a craft that was extracted as recently as the middle of July using it. Right now it just seems to load forever, but doesn't actually do anything with my file. Link in case someone else has any joy: https://www.kerbaltek.com/craftkitchen

I tried it with an old save file from around 1.7.3 - that worked fine. A newer persistent.sfs from 1.12.3 just seemed to time out.

Edited by madindehead

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Dryratt said:

I'm having trouble opening the "Global Station" vessel from this save game. Every time I try to open it the program closes.

I can reproduce the problem and will have a look soon,. Thanks for reporting.

18 hours ago, Dryratt said:

I'm having trouble opening the "Global Station" vessel from this save game. Every time I try to open it the program closes.

KML should never just close. It should show a message about the exception that happened, but turns out stack overflow exceptions are not handled this way. And a stack overflow happened because your vessel has cyclic attachments.

Fixed the problem and released 0.9.3, see OP.

About the problem with your vessel:

There clearly is a problem with how the parts are attached to each other. The warning about part [61] not being attached to its parent [50] already indicates this. But separate from that, the problem that caused KML to give up was that there is a cycle in the attachment structure. The 'part graph' algorithm to project the 3D structure onto a 2D diagram could benefit from some improvements :blush: But I managed to analyze it anyway, here is the cycle:

CitMX7T.png

From all what I've learnt about part attachments so far, your vessel should not exist :D There are two docking connections involved [71]-[72] and [55]-[78], both are of the type docker-dockee. But one of them should actually be of the 'same vessel' type. This kind of structure has always confused KSP and you should try to avoid it.

Does it still load in KSP or was crashing the game the reason you consulted KML?

Edit: I just saw this bug made you join the forums and make your first post. Welcome!

And what is wrong with the forums these days? Half the time it doesn't load stylesheets or is totally unavailable.  Is it too many KSP2 users looking for help? I didn't have a look, I'm not participating in this over-priced, over-demanding, under-delivering hype yet.

Edited by Mythos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi. Just wanted to say, thank you @Mythos! This is a magnificent tool!

It has saved several big deal missions for me, where borked docking ports were basically paralyzing big interplanetary missions I have spent weeks real time assembling in orbit.