KerbalStuff.com is SHUTTING DOWN

GGKSPMC

As we all know, KerbalStuff.com is shutting down.  I am currently making an alternative, though, that holds mods for all games (minecraft, KSP, Fallout, terraria, etc.) and maps/craft (spaceplanes, minecraft maps), which will be much better than KerbalStuff :).  Please watch this thread to see the beta updates, the alpha updates, and when it is a release.  If you want to help me, tell me what hosts are very good hosts :D.  Also, I will keep this website UP always.

UPDATE 0.0.1: most of CSS HTML and php got together!  (BTW Im using MAMP to do stuff)

Edited by GGKSPMC
UPDATE 0.0.1

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

It's been shut down for some time, and a replacement has alredy been hosted at http://spacedock.info/ . Don't let that discourage you though, more hosts is better. :) 

Well, as a game designer, competition is my middle name :D  also, spacedock.info doesn't load.

5 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Loading fine for me here. If you've seen KerbalStuff you already know what it looks like, it uses the same software with a different color scheme.

OK :D

More hosts is a good thing. I applaud the initiative.

Keep in mind though that mod and craft makers need a bit more than just a server being up and fancy page coding. What I mean is, before you spend a lot of effort on the technical aspect of this project, you may want to take a bit of time to write a few words about you, your intended service, what your hosting conditions are going to be, and present them here and see what the reception is.

Inform yourself. Seriously. At the very least, you seem to be running slightly behind the facts. Do a few searches on kerbalstuff, spacedock, kerbalx, curseforge, and several others that you will find mentioned in messages and signatures in these forums. You really want to take a look at what is already available, before putting up something else. What do you want to do the same? What do you absolutely want to do differently? What is the added value of your site going to be to make mod and craft authors go to the (additional) effort of (also) uploading to your site?

Build up some trust. No trust will get you no mods or craft uploads. At the very least, tell us who you are and what good reasons we have to trust our creations with you. The thing is, we know little to nothing about you other than this thread here, which for all we know is your very first activity to do with KSP. It will take a little more than just dropping in with 'tadaa! A whole new host, gimme your files, I promise it'll stay up!' for authors to feel safe and start uploading. Good people have tried before and had to give up. What gives us reason to believe you will succeed where others couldn't?

Inform yourself. I mention it a second time, because seriously, it's important. This community is much more heavily into licensing forms than other mod sites you may know. Are you sure you understand this clearly, and are ready to deal with it properly? Have you included for yourself what procedures you plan to follow to support and/or enforce correct license use, or how to react when people do not? Check out the mod/plugin section of the forum, and read a bit about this. It may be you have already done this and have it all planned out, but then you need to let us know how that's going to work.

By all means, go ahead with this and I hope you succeed and we can welcome and use another option for hosting mods and craft, but all I'm suggesting is, you seem to be starting this off at the wrong end. The coding needs to be the last part.

Just now, swjr-swis said:

More hosts is a good thing. I applaud the initiative.

Keep in mind though that mod and craft makers need a bit more than just a server being up and fancy page coding. What I mean is, before you spend a lot of effort on the technical aspect of this project, you may want to take a bit of time to write a few words about you, your intended service, what your hosting conditions are going to be, and present them here and see what the reception is.

Inform yourself. Seriously. At the very least, you seem to be running slightly behind the facts. Do a few searches on kerbalstuff, spacedock, kerbalx, curseforge, and several others that you will find mentioned in messages and signatures in these forums. You really want to take a look at what is already available, before putting up something else. What do you want to do the same? What do you absolutely want to do differently? What is the added value of your site going to be to make mod and craft authors go to the (additional) effort of (also) uploading to your site?

Build up some trust. No trust will get you no mods or craft uploads. At the very least, tell us who you are and what good reasons we have to trust our creations with you. The thing is, we know little to nothing about you other than this thread here, which for all we know is your very first activity to do with KSP. It will take a little more than just dropping in with 'tadaa! A whole new host, gimme your files, I promise it'll stay up!' for authors to feel safe and start uploading. Good people have tried before and had to give up. What gives us reason to believe you will succeed where others couldn't?

Inform yourself. I mention it a second time, because seriously, it's important. This community is much more heavily into licensing forms than other mod sites you may know. Are you sure you understand this clearly, and are ready to deal with it properly? Have you included for yourself what procedures you plan to follow to support and/or enforce correct license use, or how to react when people do not? Check out the mod/plugin section of the forum, and read a bit about this. It may be you have already done this and have it all planned out, but then you need to let us know how that's going to work.

By all means, go ahead with this and I hope you succeed and we can welcome and use another option for hosting mods and craft, but all I'm suggesting is, you seem to be starting this off at the wrong end. The coding needs to be the last part.

Ill look up liscences that I can use for free :)

1 hour ago, Gelix said:

-content deleted-

Well, I won't use the word Kerbal.  I will use the word KSP Mods.  Did Squad/Curse really trademark the word "Kerbal?" xD

1 hour ago, worir4 said:

Good luck man. I hope it turns out successful. :D

Thanks so much for the luck!  

5 minutes ago, Gelix said:

Curse is 100% DISGUSTING! I hate it with every bone in my body.... I cried when kstuff shut down.

Curse should be illegal.  I will never let curse make a forum for my video games!

its all curse's fault for kerbalstuff shutting down!  i just read Squad's comment :)

Just now, Gelix said:

SpaceDock is pretty cool. However, it doesn't have half the amount of mods.

Well, my website will have it and minecraft mods

KerbalStuff was my fav. modding site!!! I usED it every day. Now thanks to *angry voice* SQUAD *even angrier voice* I will be miserable playing KSP! I WILL NEVER EVER EVER use *super angry voice* Cursed Curse!!

Kstuff was amazing.... AND CURSE IS STUPID. It is soooooo hard to use!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY ADS!

CURSE IS STUPID!

Edited by Gelix
Curse IS AN Idiot!