Joysticks are AWESOME for KSP!

KSP Bro AE

34 minutes ago, mdkendall said:

Yes, I have that Logitech Extreme 3D Pro too. I don't use it for rockets or rovers, but for flying planes it is great. Much easier than the keyboard.

True. same opinion.

6 minutes ago, lobe said:

I have tried the Saitek AV8R, but it isn't worth a (lowest level of material). Of course on linux, what am I to suspect?

too bad. the linked one is compatible with linux.

I have that Logitech Extreme 3D Pro too.

And I use it for rockets and rovers too, it depends on the vehicle and maneuver. A pure roll is easier with buttons.

But I love using my top hat setup for retro translation. Trigger toggles RCS and the thumb button suspends SAS (F key), makes docking MUUCCH easier!

Joysticks are great for KSP! I'm a lefty and I use two sticks at the same time. Translation on my right stick, but for flying rockets and landers usually only use the throttle on that stick, its perfect like that. Plenty buttons for action groups too.

6 hours ago, omelaw said:

I don't think xbox pad works well on ksp...

It depends: there is a plugin that lets assign axis on the go in ksp and allows the use for multiple profiles: 

Edited by MK3424

6 minutes ago, storm_soldier2377 said:

I use my joystick only for the throttle because you cannot really set it up properly like you can in a flight simulator, or at least it's really difficult to do so. The fact that you can't change settings ingame doesn't help.

I have to disagree with you, I feel it is very easy to assign all the axis, and even set their dead zones and sensitivities in KSPs settings menu. I'm not a flight sim guy though and might be completly missing somehing here, but I feel it is fine the way it is. What kind of problem do you have? maybe somebody here can help you.

I agree with you on the ingame options though, would be cool if Squad could make the input settings accesible ingame, but then again I dont find myself changing them a lot anyway. After everything is set up I save the settings file just in case.

Edited by Dafni

Just now, Dafni said:

I have to disagree with you, I feel it is very easy to assign all the axis, and even set their dead zones and sensitivities in KSPs settings menu. What kind of problem do you have, maybe somebody here can help you.

I agree with you on the ingame options though, would be cool if Squad could make the input settings accesible ingame, but then again I dont find myself changing them a lot anyway. After everything is set up I save the settings file just in case.

I have to admit I haven't fiddled with it too much and I'm mostly judging from my first impression of the available options. If I recall correctly the options available in KSP only consists of a deadzone and a sensitivity slider which is very crude and basic compared to the flight simulators I am used to. Compare KSP's options to that of an old WWII combat flight simulator, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

ohl99w.png

In other note, flying with the keyboard in KSP is usually sufficient, although the throttle becomes very handy for landers and skycranes.

7 hours ago, KSP Bros said:

Guys, I got a joystick on amazon, and it is AMAZING! My KSP experience has doubled. YOU NEED ONE!

There is a video on it. Just search KSP joystick setup and you got it!

I've the same one for months. I use it only to fly planes and to dock. So most of the time I don't use joystick.

8 hours ago, lobe said:

I have tried the Saitek AV8R, but it isn't worth a (lowest level of material). Of course on linux, what am I to suspect?

I use thrustmaster t16000M on both windows or linux and it works great wether im on KSP xplane or FSX. It is also very cheap and I much prefer using it rather than my yoke (basic saitek one).

And yeah flying rockets is still better on the keyboard for me too:)

If I built planes more then a joystick makes a world of difference.  The AFBW mod is pretty much a requirement.

I also noticed you can link wheel throttle to the joystick, and also kerbal movement, great for those long walks...

I use the Saitek Rhino X-55, which i bought for playing Elite in the first place. But yes, it is cool for KSP too.

I love to play with a PS4 controller too, but when it gets to precision maneuvering, a joystick is simply a must, as the longer lever allows you to hold the stick at specific positions at ease.

I would say a joystick worth it just for the throttle. It makes landings so much easier horizontally or vertically, since you have so much more control.

That said, I love using the axes while in IVA with RasterProp monitors installed.

In the past I tried using an XBox360 controller, and couldn't do so satisfactorily. Why? Because I like to have access to all three rotation axes, all three translation axes, and the throttle at the same time, rather than switching between them.

While I was able to assign all the controls, the fact that they're in two groups of three, plus one rather than three groups of two, plus one made coordinating maneuvers too difficult for me.

Currently I have a Steam controller, which has nine analog axes (1 stick, 2 touch pads, a pair of throttles, and tilt controls), and there is a special configuration for it, but I'm not playing through Steam now, so I haven't tried it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.