Joysticks are AWESOME for KSP!

KSP Bro AE

15 hours ago, storm_soldier2377 said:

I have to admit I haven't fiddled with it too much and I'm mostly judging from my first impression of the available options. If I recall correctly the options available in KSP only consists of a deadzone and a sensitivity slider which is very crude and basic compared to the flight simulators I am used to. Compare KSP's options to that of an old WWII combat flight simulator, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

ohl99w.png

In other note, flying with the keyboard in KSP is usually sufficient, although the throttle becomes very handy for landers and skycranes.

Man, played waaaaay too many hours of il2:46 back in the day...

I only have bad experiences with trying to use a joystick in ksp:

I used the flight system logitech g940 and the game could not figure out what axis to use.
Later I bought a x55 rheino (saitek ) and it had the same issue.

X55 here too. But key for me is Advanced fly by wire. I have 2 presets for my joystick, toggled with a button.

one for planes with roll on X axis and Yaw on Z, and the other with Roll on Z, Yaw on X, and pitch not inverted. That way my joystick left/up means navball left/up. Great for rocket ascend.

The Logitech e3dpro is great in winders, but in Linux it just doesn't stay calibrated and caused all my rockets to invert. My planes always veer off to the right.

am looking forward to 1.1 just to be able to use it again!

9 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

1.1 is going to change how joysticks work in ksp ?

Nope (afaik).

64bit on win7 means I can dump my Linux install (I hope).

It runs ok on 32 bit, but I like mods. Not a silly amount of them, but crashes are less frequent with access to more ram.

The only thing I don't like in Linux are the jagged edges on the visuals and the squirly flight stick support.

• 3 years later...

Just bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS (joystick with a separate thruster lever) for some 60eur. Love it. The cable between the joystick and thruster is a bit short though, making it difficult to place apart from each other.

It is fun though. 

Only used airplanes and ground vehicles. Still have to train a bit to get things like flaps working. Although I need to use FAR.

Setup was tricky at first. Almost fooled me for not working. 

I use a VKB gladiator - https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Joystick-Flight-Simulator-Controller-Stick/dp/B01G6GT49O/
It also ships under a couple other names. It's really just for planes, so since I use space planes a lot, it's perfect.

That said, I've been just using my mouse a lot recently, since I mostly just need pitch on the analog axis. This mouse has a single joystick axis on a thumb button - https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Tyon-Black-Action-Multi-Button/dp/B00MSOIUOO

I use that for pitch, It would be nice having roll on analog too, but it's not bad without.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got the xbox360 pad working under Linux - I have been trying on and off for a couple of months, but while Linux can detect the pad, ksp doesn't seem to want to use it.

Alternatively if someone has a suggestion for another good joystick that'll work under Linux with KSP I'm happy to invest...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.