What have you been the first to discover in KSP?

kmMango

Coming up on four years ago, I figured out how to build and pilot a STS-style launcher, complete with asymmetric mass, asymmetric thrust from two huge SRBs and a few dynamically gimbaling engines fueled from an external tank, and widely flexible payload. I made a video about it.

KSP space shuttles may be common now, but in July 2012 knowledgeable folk were of the opinion that these vehicles were just too difficult to balance to ever be worth using. As far as I know, I was the first to figure out how to manually control the engine gimbal throughout the entire launch, and thus make a practical shuttle. I know a few other people independently made the same discovery, but I've never seen evidence of a KSP shuttle earlier than mine. Even if some KSPer did beat me to that design... still my proudest moment in this game.  :)

Edit: Hang on, just realized I did see something in KSP before anybody else, other than the dev! That silly little tailcone. I know I saw it first because C7 showed the model to me and asked if that was the kind of shape I was thinking of, before he made it into a part.

Edited by White Owl
just remembered

Possibly the so-named "Glue Kraken"

Not sure if it was ever recognized as a true Kraken, or if someone else reported it before me, though. It never happened to me again anyway, so I kinda forgot about it...

Edit: Also, perhaps the first (and quite possibly only) person to explore the idea of using a Tweakscaled Launch Escape System as a hood ornament... (functionally useless, but it looked cool)

HgY34bm.jpg

Edited by Slam_Jones

I'm probably one of the first to discover one of the reproducible old causes of the NaN/Black Screen bug that would result in haywired Altimeter and crashing if you clicked at all.  That was due to a bug with the colliders from my understanding was finally fixed or worked around.  I even demonstrated it through a Twitch stream years ago (later stored in YouTube form).

Link: 

I could also been one of the first ones to develop a space station with semi-repairable modules (originally to replace any damaged power modules), utilizing the in-hull docking port.  This was back when 0.18 was first around.

KerblestialStation2.png

This dates back to December 2012 when 0.18 first made it's appearance to the general public.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2016 at 8:48 PM, nosirrbro said:

Im probably the first person to ever glitch out a kerbal so much that they not only get accelerated to 100 times the speed of light, but that they actually are also accelerating, even during the 100000 timewarp. After the second year Val has now gotten to 300 times the speed of light.

I actually found this a while ago. Poor Jeb :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.