What have you been the first to discover in KSP?

kmMango

I may or may not have been the first to dock a Mk2 SSTO plane inside a carrier ship's hangar, along with various other landers and support craft, then land the entire thing on Minmus to refuel. (after first consuming an entire Class-C asteroid to make sure I had enough oxidant for the landing engines)

1 hour ago, astrobond said:

I was the first adult of my familly to buy KSP xD

And maybe the first to Stock SSTO Eve ?

Not aware that anyone had managed this. Have some Rep!...er, Likes.

I miss the reputation system.:(

Is this upper stage a first? I dunno. It'll gently deorbit 9 space-stranded parts for less than 4000 kash each. It would be even less if I used a terrier instead of a nuke. (But the nuke makes it work well as a space tug while you are collecting the 9 parts to deorbit.)

deorbiter.png

How about the climbable ice cliff near the north pole, that allows you to take "ice cap" samples while splashed? Is that a discovery? I dunno.

How about the other ice cliff (where you can get "tundra splashed" samples) that you can run up?

How about the fact that a pure-vertical launch to Mun or Minmus saves you 25% on upper-stage fuel compared to a traditional launch? Is that a discovery? I dunno.

That you can emotionally bond with a train in KSP more than you can with a cold sterile soulless locomotive in a proper train simulator

(and probably the first to use proper diesel electric)

4016.. My baby :) 

The best 40 class that ever was

Worry when shes damaged...

Feel relief and happyness when she returns home safe (when her sistertrains never did)

And be generally proud that shes a capable  machine functioning for what she was designed for with grace and beauty as a locomotive of the KTP

;.;

Long live 4016

I'm probably the first guy to discover that a large, straight-wing aircraft with 4 Goalkeeper CIWS's on it can exceed mach 1

024CD71E0F975FE3C93C751DE8844ABD93E44A69

And I'm also probably the first guy to discover a design that makes for a decently viable hybrid fighter/heavy bomber craft. Yes, that plane can serve as a fighter.

1FBA6C3B2FEEF0729AA52EA11DFE1141EC0E69C3

Edited by drtricky

• 2 weeks later...
On March 15, 2016 at 9:54 PM, Overland said:

That you can emotionally bond with a train in KSP more than you can with a cold sterile soulless locomotive in a proper train simulator

(and probably the first to use proper diesel electric)

4016.. My baby :) 

The best 40 class that ever was

Worry when shes damaged...

Feel relief and happyness when she returns home safe (when her sistertrains never did)

And be generally proud that shes a capable  machine functioning for what she was designed for with grace and beauty as a locomotive of the KTP

;.;

Long live 4016

I read your Elcano report a while back. Real good stuff.

On 17-3-2016 at 4:38 PM, Tex_NL said:

First to discover? Don't think so. First to do? Probably.

Early January I drove a rover under water from the KSC runway to the island runway.

screenshot10.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot12.png

screenshot13.png

I did that in 2015, only pic I uploaded:

2ArGndy.png

If I look in my screenshot archive I can find more pics...

I discovered that you could fly past the sun.  

In early versions of KSP the only planet was Kerbin, no moons and Kerbol was just a light in the sky which noone had ever visited because there was no time warp either and the distance to it was ... well ... astronomical!

So when time warp was invented, a bit like Spike Milligans "Silly Old Baboon", I decided to fly to the sun.

The most amusing thing about it being that I made it and flew right past it which was at the time unheard of, until it wasn't! 

So I made a challenge thread for it (see link below) and invited all KSP capsuleers to share the experience, which some did.

Uhh.. I discovered a bug wherein your filter icons won't work unless your navball is up in map mode (someone else in the thread actually discovered it was related to the navball).  Yay?

The bug is quite annoying.

Other than that, I'm not really sure who discovered what in what order.. and besides, those relativity quacks scientists would tell me that simultaneity and order of occurrence is irrelevant anyways due to blah blah time dilation blah blah length contraction blah blah relativistic mass blah blah different observers in different frames of reference blah. :/  I think they're just pulling everybody's leg though.

However, we all know, quackery or no quackery, that I was the first person to invent a badminton birdie for the purposes of parachuting a craft back to KSC in the old aero (my avatar)  :P

In the older days, when getting a full orange tank to orbit was still a thing I patented the banana staging, an evolution of the aspargus staging where the top half of your radial tanks would detach after it was empty. 8 out of 10 times it failed which was great anyway.

bmdh1Fo.jpg

Edited by Dombi

I was the first to make a functioning (with stock parts) submarine that fits in not a cargo bay (literally, it just barely pokes out of the Mk2 Cargo Bay), but a service bay! And at the same time, this submarine (the Pocket Sub Mk II) has a small missile. Even better, I brought said sub in a service bay to Laythe, and achieved a depth of 2739 meters below sea level (on the seabed), a feat never done before (even if that depth has been pierced before, it hasn't been achieved while on the seabed at the same time, with a missile-carrying sub that fits in a service bay)

Edited by LaytheDragon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.