KSP 1.1, performance, multithread or GPU physics

Lilienthal

Hi all,

I was wondering what is already known about performance improvements with KSP 1.1.

• How much faster is it usually ?
  • Are multiple cores used for physics?
  • Can some of the physics stuff be outsourced to the GPU?

Maybe some of the people involved in testing can give a hint?

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Majorjim said:

No GPU physics Lilienthal. We simply don't know what the boost will be, if at all. It has been said that multiple craft in the same space will run quite a bit faster.

If that's true, I can foresee a mod that splits up one craft into two virtual ones

On 2016-03-12 at 10:45 PM, Majorjim said:

No GPU physics Lilienthal. We simply don't know what the boost will be, if at all. It has been said that multiple craft in the same space will run quite a bit faster.

I try to keep up to date on ksp news and I've never heard anything about this. Could you give us some kind of source? Like "person X said it on stream A" or "person Y wrote about it on site B"?

Squad's tight-lip strategy is so infuriating. They seem to think that if they talk about one thing that later doesn't make it into the next patch, that we would then lynch them and all refund of copies of the game at once. It's as if a construction company would refuse to show the house they're building to their customer until it was 101% done.

Edited by Smorfty

7 minutes ago, Smorfty said:

Squad's tight-lip strategy is so infuriating. They seem to think that if they talk about one thing that later doesn't make it into the next patch, that we would then lynch them and all refund of copies of the game at once. It's as if a construction company would refuse to show the house they're building to their customer until it was 101% done.

Well, at least you now know never to buy games from Squad again.

To be fair they're getting much better about communication since Max left and performance is a very hard thing to quantify amongst so many varying setups (I can totally understand why they're so tight-lipped about expected results).  As for the GPU physics, best to check the platform they're using, Unity 5, rather than rely on Squad to answer that.

1.1 is in experimentals, so details should be dropping this week. That also means we should see 1.1 release anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months (it is a big update after all), hopefully alongside the console releases.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features

This may answer a few questions.

18 minutes ago, regex said:

...and performance is a very hard thing to quantify amongst so many varying setups (I can totally understand why they're so tight-lipped about expected results).  As for the GPU physics, best to check the platform they're using, Unity 5, rather than rely on Squad to answer that.

I'm not expecting a datasheet with exact frame rate increases. I would just like to hear something, anything! If anyone has heard the devs talk about the performance in any way, please link it here. I'd love to know! There's so precious little information out there and it's all scattered.

The performance of the game at the moment is horrible. The whole point of 1.1 is to remedy that, yet there's not a peep about it from the devs. No talk about GPU/CPU physics, very little talk about physX, no talk about the current opengl/directx11 modes that are quite bugged, nothing about the games insane memory usage (even with 64-bit, the usage will be quite insane).

Edited by Smorfty

14 minutes ago, bncrock said:

This list is not an official road-map for KSP. It is maintained by the community, and has no direct relation to what may or may not be included in the final product.

No, it won't answer any questions.

11 minutes ago, Smorfty said:

I'm not expecting a datasheet with exact frame rate increases. I would just like to hear something, anything! I anyone has heard the devs talk about the performance in any way, please link it here. I'd love to know! There's so precious little information out there and it's all scattered.

They've made mention in several dev notes that performance has been improved.  By how much, no one says.  But it will improve with 1.1.

Dev notes are the best place to get your information.  There has been much talk about code profiling and optimization recently, plus just general improvements in Unity 5.

Edited by regex

12 minutes ago, regex said:

No, it won't answer any questions.

Sure, take it with a grain of salt, but it's not like they <spouted> info into a compiled mess of misinformation and killed dreams. It has ties back to direct quotes from devs and sources, so yeah. It's the most comprehensive list I've seen, so unless you have a better website I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Keep the language in check, please.

10 minutes ago, regex said:

They've made mention in several dev notes that performance has been improved.

They have claimed that there will be performance increases before every single patch since I got the game (0.19 in 2013). What I mean is: them saying this is not really talking about the performance. They're making a humongous engine upgrade and all they say about it is the usual old stuff they say about every patch...

As for the devnotes. I've read every single one since they started writing them. I also watch most devstreams and I still think they talk too little about their work. They're treating us like children who can't handle seeing an unfinished product. Other devs do it and they're doing fine.

Edited by Smorfty

Just now, Smorfty said:

They have claimed that there will be performance increases before every single patch since I got the game (0.19 in 2013). Mostly it has been completely unnoticeable.

But thats not true. The game has run noticeably better and better each iteration.

1 minute ago, Smorfty said:

As for the devnotes. I've read every single one since they started writing them.

Oh, well then you've read about the performance optimizations and code profiling they've been doing.  What's the problem then?

1 minute ago, Smorfty said:

I also watch most devstreams and I still think they talk too little about their work. They're treating us like children who can't handle seeing an unfinished product. Other devs do it and they're doing fine.

Huh, I thought they'd improved dramatically recently, definitely near the level of the Factorio devs at this time.  Sure, they're no CCP but then again, they're not nearly the size of CCP.  vOv

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.