Danger Zone! <100m Altitude Speed Challenge [1.0.5 Stock]

INTRO:

Who will come out on top in this test of piloting skill and engineering prowess? How fast dare you go while dicing with the possibilities of erupting into an explosive fireball or being torn apart by the grip of the ocean’s surface?! This is a challenge that would make even the mighty Jebidiah think twice on his slow motion walk to the runway... 

RULES:

1. Altitude must not exceed 100m throughout entire run.

2. Aircraft must be manned and successfully land without losing any parts throughout entire run. (I.e. no exploding or detached parts.)

3. Jet engines only. (RAPIER is allowed in air breathing mode only). 

4. STOCK ONLY. (No parts or pilot assistance mods. “Information Displays” from mods like MechJeb/KER are allowed.)

SUBMISSION:

Image or video proof of run. Images required are at least two images showing aircraft design and one image of Flight Results after landing (F3). Additional images are welcome and encouraged. Video submissions must show full run. 

Submission Example:

Spoiler

hEqaVFf.png

Spoiler

Qp73Fzy.png

Spoiler

3EySayp.png

SCORING:

Results will be ranked in order of “Highest Speed Achieved” displayed in flight results. In the event of a tie, the player with the lowest “Highest Altitude Achieved” will be ranked higher. If the players are still tied, the player with the lowest “Total Mission Time” will be ranked higher. 

LEADERBOARD:

1. Captain Marksie - 1,653m/s

2. Xendelaar 1,565m/s 

3. Byronacles - 1,494m/s

4. Merandix - 1,469m/s 

5. Choice - 1,400m/s

6. Ehco Corrallo - 1,311m/s

7. *MajorTom* 924m/s

8. thumprazz - 725m/s

9. BowWhalley - 457m/s

Edited by Captain Marksie
Update

16 hours ago, Drake1050 said:

Can I use separatron? 

The aircraft must land with all the parts it started with. You could use it but you're not allowed to separate anything so I wouldn't advise it! :D  

*Edit: Forgot sepratron was the tiny solid rocket boosters, so maybe useful after all!

7 hours ago, BowWhalley said:

wait, so where do I land, please expand on info for this challenge so I know what to do.

You can land where ever you want. Just remember, your highest altitude cannot exceed 100m for the entire run.

Leaderboard Updated

Mistake

I have re-attempted this challenge to get a higher speed. I was not able to beat thumprazz's speed, but I was able to beat mine by over 100m/s. I may attempt this challenge again from scratch next time.

lukKKpg.png

9kCubqB.png

3OjAqFn.pngUKSeyoX.png

Still pushing for 1500+ m/s mark...

In the meantime, there's this. Not my fastest run, but my most intact one. 

3A81375DE002BB319F9DECC0761ED28A37BBEF93

FFF0106537BBB13CFB96F0D59FF4D5C019F97736

The cockpit is clipped into the space between the bicoupler and the forward fuselage to ensure a dragless design. 

Edited by Ehco Corrallo

Is the rapier in air breathing mode considered an jet engine?

If so, I don't think it's that difficult to pass the 1500 m/s mark. Cool challenge btw! It's pretty challenging!

Edited by xendelaar

Control isn't so much an issue once you figure out the trick. The main problem is not exploding. I've a cargohold full of radiators and I sort of hoped the ablator in the cargohold would absorb some of the heat, but unfortunately, no. The radiator-stuff doesn't help much. Note, this cockpit on this plane consistently explodes at 1475 m/s... In that light, 1469 m/s isn't that bad. But this is probably the fastest this thing will go. Takeoff mass is just 8930 kg from the top of my head. Funny fact considering the thing is likely twice the size of most planes here :P

Also, just a thought, the aircraft needs to be manned, but does the kerbal need to be in control? Or can I use drone-parts?

Edited by Merandix

I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as a legit entry, but heck.. I'm gonna try it anyway! :D

I broke the 1500 m/s barrier with a RAPIER (in air breathing mode) and a heat shield. Top speed was 1507 m/s. It does go faster but it's pretty difficult to control the ship at higher velocities.

pGD3sbF.png

Edited by xendelaar

Sorry for the slow reply, I have been distracted by the start of the MotoGP and F1 season openers for the past few days!

Anyways, I have updated the leaderboard. I don't want to be too strict on the rules so RAPIER is fine in air breathing mode. Also, you can control your craft by any means so long as a kerbal is on board. 

In other news, I have managed to reach ~1,550m/s using whiplash engines but can't seem to land the damn thing without breaking up! Going to wack RAPIERS on and see if I go faster. I'll worry about landing later!!! :blush: 

Hmmmm, not bad... :wink:  Only issue is I'm not a fan of the floating rear wheels. I'm trying to be lenient on rules but floating parts look too wrong!  I'm guessing it's only for stability on take off so make it look like they're attached and I'll add your new time. (Just realised your old time had floating wheels to but I will let it stand for now as I expect you to fix this and go faster!)

PS. Now that I've started using RAPIERS I may now be going faster than 1550m/s :cool: Still in the process of fine tuning the stability at top speed though so not sure I will have a valid time today.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.