Model Rocket Design Software?

Whizzkid

Hello, as a project, I am designing a model rocket. Can anyone recommend a good piece of software (can be paid), for me to use to design it? I have already tried OpenRocket and have looked at rocksim and SpaceCAD.

I would put this in the model rocket thread, but the search feature isn't working for me.

EDIT: more info

I have used OpenRocket for simple designs in the past. I do not actually have rocksim or SpaceCAD, but am considering purchasing one if they provide significant advantages over OpenRocket, such as accuracy and simulation of multiple stage rockets. I was asking what people recommended out of the 3 and whether there is any good design/simulation software that I do not know about.

Edited by Whizzkid

2 hours ago, Whizzkid said:

Hello, as a project, I am designing a model rocket. Can anyone recommend a good piece of software (can be paid), for me to use to design it? I have already tried OpenRocket and have looked at rocksim and SpaceCAD.

I would put this in the model rocket thread, but the search feature isn't working for me.

You already have three programs, what more could you want? Without telling us why you are still looking, what you need, what you liked and what you disliked, giving any kind of valuable advice is pretty much impossible.

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

I use PTC Creo 3.0

It works fine for me, but for more advanced things, such as NACA airfoils, you might need one of the add ons.

Thanks, I already use Creo 3.0 for CAD work, so i will see about using it for model rocket design.

21 hours ago, Camacha said:

You already have three programs, what more could you want? Without telling us why you are still looking, what you need, what you liked and what you disliked, giving any kind of valuable advice is pretty much impossible.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. I have used OpenRocket for simple designs in the past. I do not actually have rocksim or SpaceCAD, but am considering purchasing one if they provide significant advantages over OpenRocket, such as accuracy and simulation of multiple stage rockets. I was asking what people recommended out of the 3 and whether there is any good design/simulation software that I do not know about.

Interesting thread, should be in the science section though, you'll get more help there.

@sal_vager Can you help us?

I'm personally always try to work first with the open software, then if isn't enough i go for the alternatives. You need to ask yourself: Do you feel that it lacks something? The other programs has it? Can you use a general CAD/CAE program for the design you want that you already have?

I'll try OpenRocket and the alternatives, and I'll give my toughs when I have time... :(

I can move the thread, sure, plus there's some other software around, I'll move this then update with a link.

Edit:

Winroc is old but good, and also runs on Linux using Wine.

From the website...

Easy-to-use altitude prediction software, includes motor files and center-of-pressure calculations.

Winroc includes Altitude Calculator - CP Calculator - Motor Wizard - Thrust Curve Manager - and Graphing capability's.

I definitely recommend RockSim.  I used it for years when I was building rockets.  Haven't built or flown anything in over ten years now, and so I'm not really up on what RockSim is capable of, but towards the end of my building/flying days, I built a scale Delta II, complete with separating strap-on boosters.  RockSim was just starting to add functionality for strap-ons, and was invaluable for checking the stabilty of my design.  As it turned out, the rocket was very stable, the boosters separated as they were supposed to, and the flight went well.  A second flight, only five of the boosters, as well as the core motor, lit, but because I had designed in the 10* angle of the booster nozzles (the model rocket motors were angled as well), the rocket still flew straight upwards, although it crabbed slightly.

RockSim also helped me design a stable scale Pershing 1A, which is difficult to do in model rocketry because of the forward fins and passive stability.  Same thing with several scales of Patriot missiles with clustered motors, an Australian Aeolus sounding rocket (clustered booster to a single motor upper stage), and many other rockets.

Besides designing and checking stability, RockSim also has a pretty good simulation mode where you can plug in launch site conditions (wind, altitude of launch site, temperatures, launch angle, etc) and "test fly" your design.  It's pretty accurate - +/- 5% on altitude predictions (checked with onboard altimeters).

Like I said, I haven't built or flown anything for a long time, and haven't kept up with the software, but I'm sure it's only been improved over the years.

Edited to add images of rockets I've built and flown that were designed on RockSim:

Delta II using a D12-5 motor for the core and 9 A10-0t motors for the boosters.  Fins are clear plastic, but taped over to prevent scratches.  Had I finished painting the model, the fins would be considered "not there" by scale competition judges.  As I mentioned earlier, RockSim was just starting to implement side boosters, so I added the fins as insurance.

IWV5ENs.jpg

Two different scales of the Terrier Sandhawk.  Smaller version used two F25 composite motors for the booster, and an F50 electronically staged in the upper stage.  Larger version was never flown as a complete stack, but the booster was designed for I-K motors, and the upper stage hit an onboard altimeter-measured 2600 feet on a J350 when flown by itself.

JAiQ61L.jpg

3X upscale of the old Estes Mars Lander, complete with "shock absorbing" landing legs.  Flight shown used an H210 Smokey Sam motor, and reached a little over 500 feet - draggy as hell and 10 lbs. launch weight.

bo9Jpw8.jpg

Edited by MaxxQ

• 3 years later...

id always used the kerbal approach to model rocketry. tape and glue a bunch of paper towel tubes together, old plastic easter eggs made good nosecones. if you have to adapt a small motor diameter to a wider tube diameter, you would get balsa stock from the hobby shop and some hole saws. of course these days id just 3d print some of the accessories, nosecones/motor adapters/fin assemblies. my big problems is i can't get the damn motors shipped here on the cheap. 

Edited by Nuke

Fortunately i made great researches to improve my space knowledge and i foiund this apprentice set https://rocketlaunches.webnode.com/. Maybe still it is not that impressive  like the above but it as wise as you listen to elon musk and bezos every person should develop their own space programs in my opinion as it really is powerful and can give happiness. 

Edited by michaelbezos1
I delted cms as it leaded to login page so now should work perfectly.now should work after 2th edit, yes it works

Today I was begging for money and during 40 minutes i received fortunately 21,60 pound . I paid today 6 pound for the night shelter and have more than 15 pound where kerbal space program costs 7,49 on steam. I have already played car mechanic simulator but i think it is more than welcome and recommended to have this game in collectiom to be on time, innovative, creative etc. 

I already wanted to apply to Imperial college in London for spacecraft and rocket engineering but i was told i need to improve my mathematics and physics level. I train mathematics every day but for the adults it is not easy to attend level a advanced from mathematics and physics as it is almost impossible to find these places in Colchester or Chelmsford, but it is possible to happen in London as long as i rembember i was told by one college it is possible but they will call me back and they did not. 

Anyway no excuses, high performance, high aims. If you want to be happy, successful, rich , powerful it is even more than welcome to build own spacecraft and own rocket company. Musk. Bezos would not hesitate and 99 percent people love them (even if they do not love them they need to as they are very powerful ) 

I still postpone the purchase of kerbal space program but i think it is grate as it is cheap and really constructive and educative (same like car mechanic simulator[unfortunately does not work very quick at the shelters computers but it works and no excuses i bought 3 cars and dismantled one of them ) .

I may wait with purchase of the kerbal space program till tommorrow monday as i do not have funds now at account banks and the banks are closed today but on monday they r open and i can fund the banks accouint and be able to purchase the game and started to build first spacecrafts, launches companies etc. 

Observing hindus, chineses successys in these field i think for everybody it is more than recommended to speed up the researches in this field as long as jeff bezos said he was attraced by space since he was 5 year old kid. 

next stage as i showed at my website i would purchase for 24,99 pound the rocket set but all in all much pleasant and better source of income than begging is goind work as the salary is rather sure. 

but all in all beggin for the amount of 3-6 pounds is not that bad especially in 2 senarios i did not have to wait much and i read some books at this time thats why it is very likely i will but today or tommorrow this beautiful space program. 

I am not pedantsm(hate for particular one nation)  but it is even more than motivating for all nations to develop their own spacecraft. Even thou Mark Zuckuberg (Facebook) said it is not the battle of nations as it is the battle of ideas some people (like my kurdish stepfathjer) still use to use their own destructive pedantsm + schizophrenia theories but when i told him that i will put the face in the toilet and in my opinion he should come back to his own arabic countries i just switch from his pedantst mindset as i changed the phone number and already gotted interest in non contact form and self restraining. 

I had extremely not luck with parents and extreme luck with non contancting them. I mean they are great french, british, german, american, russian space programs but even the gross product of Poland is bigger than Russia it is hard to develop any spaceprogram in Poland. Beside Luke Nosek (whom is successfull because of Elon Musk power) there are rather no very successful polish space programs. [they are but for me without the parents support [i raised in extremely destructive family] join any polish space programs would not be the best idea as my parents already told me i should go hangmyself and accused me of many not created things. 

Overcoming my stepfathers pedantsm and concentrating more on constructive engineering and designing it is much better trying to join existing french, norwegian, british, usa or other country [beside the successys of hindus, russian and chinese programs i do not recommend to join these programs.

I am polish(i do not have british passport yet as it is too expensive for me now) and it is much healthier, safer, spectacular and successful trying to join british[imperial college], usa, french, german, norwegian or any other developed countries space programms. The success of Luke Nosek shows it is possible even for Polish to achieve success in this attractive field. 

Obiously the russian, hindus and chinese successys only shoud reinforce the motivation. 

I think i am too much contcentrating on the signifacne of nation the particularly the power of skills but it is because of my parents destructive role models. 

Overcoming excuses, nationalism, complexes I made more projects at rocksim and published them here http://rocketlaunches.webnode.com . Tommorrow , monday 02.12.2019 I plan to invest in the kerbal space program and so on so on I will triumph and win with the stereotypes of alcoholism, laziness, not confidence with the features of innovation, creativness, robust design, robust engineering, new technology, to reinforce this i do another rocket project at rock sim. 

Edited by michaelbezos1
changing from pedantsm means hate for another nation

I need to postpone the purchase of kerbal space program as I had to move my car today and pay for the petrol. As begging is not my favourite way of earning money I look for work with full motivation. I have still money for night shelter and the payments on 09.12.2019 and 11.12.2019 so if I spend all of the money I need to beg again or I could organize particular begging item written with the begging for the night shelter what in fact would be begging for the space program as 6,49 is easier to beg than other bigger sums.

Obivously setting up financial goals and plans is the best solution.

Hi guys still imprving and developing the skills at designing at siemens nx (but i also plan to develop at core toll[or sth like this] 

currently i am at stage for looking of suitable parts at cad . Do you know the suitable place to downlaod and use :

prt , asm, par, psm, pwd, xpk jt model catpart catproduct 

these files ? 

Much love :>[Thankfully] 

Hi guys I started designing through siemens nx approximately 14:30 so I am already almost 2 hours of designing and it is not effect at all as it is hard to find particular block /parts for the rocket and moreover I mostly find them in jpg.

But keep going, no excuses. The process of efficient/ quick designing is slowen due to my woroholical multitasking which I thing is the best way now of researches ( according to observing Jeff Bezos[amazon ceo[ activities, Elon musk cocktail of idea [Elon Musk is well known for most people] and even the brothers hijundas and their activity (the richest people in britan [<more than 20 billion assets.(lots of branches/automotive, healthcare etc. ) .

after 19:15 I will try to use the core tool or even earlier.

Much love<:

Edited by michaelbezos1
adding the info about core tool

Hi guys I did some first structures progress through siemens nx still they do not look like falcon 1, new shepherd or other rockets but they are more like rockets than the piston or tie rod. 

https://rocketlaunches.webnode.com/siemensnx-elonmusksoftware/

Mich love :< 

The most time consuimg is to find the proper part with the proper ending which can be edited throiugh the cad. I f I was true workoholic I would search more through the particular forum of siemens nx or already I am looking for core tool (designing program) but IT is not built in the day as I told you I do multitasking as it should be very efficien (The prove of it With Bezos, Musk and Hindujah brothers. ) .

Particularly these one are the most like the rocket https://rocketlaunches.webnode.com/siemensnx-elonmusksoftware/#&gid=1&pid=5 as I have difficulty to move the objects up and down and obviously i should construct the nozzles, bosters add engine ,fins and could add additionally other parts. 

Much love:> 

I have trouble with the moving of the cones and blocks in siemens nx i wanted to register on forum particularly dedicated for siemens nx but i found some registering problems.

Please help me how to move objects upward and down in siemens nx .

Much love :>

In 7 minutes i need to leave the computer after i could use the tablet or any of my phones would be ambitious scenario. 

Hi guys I did improvement of my rocket engineering work at siemens nx if you would like to see

https://rocketlaunches.webnode.com/siemensnx-elonmusksoftware/

Still does not look likes elon musk, jeff Bezos creations but at least it is progress, Hopefully on 9th I will get 40 pound so It is very probable as the prioritaire I will spend on the kerbal space program as the normal continuation of Chinese, hindus successys and the worlds space race.

Obviously beside the kerbal space program I will add as the prioritaire the 25th pound rocket example set to be happy, successful and progress.

Thankfully, Michael.

Hi guys fortunately i purchase the 24. 99 pound rocket launch set but i may have problem to purchase the space engineers on steam as the cost is 49 pence more expensive than i have on account but maybe I will be able to do as bank can allow to have debts more than 0.49 margin. 

Even though particular 0.49-2,3 pound i could try to obtain by begging or wait till payment of 11th . Couple of days ago kerbal space program on steam was much chaeper now become more expensie [30 pound] > i can try the versions from ebay [steam key for 6.49 or different prices but i am not sure what is their own trustworthy]

All in all the progress in these even more than welcome field i did as the first launches i plan to do in 3 days . 

Much love :> 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.