1.1 taking TOO long

It's 2016 and we still don't have clouds. We can't have a savegame with more than ~80 objects without game performance being terrible. Hell, video performance is terrible from the game start while CPU/GPU usage is ~15%. You can have 3TB RAM and KSP will top at 2GB.. can you say Unity 5 will fix these?

Patience is a virtue my friend. 90% of us expected it on Christmas. Sure when it didn't come it was disappointing but I'm happy to wait if they delayed it for a game breaking thing. You look like you complain a lot but that's off topic.

I would prefer they take their time and get it right.  Especially when it comes to upgrading our current career games, which I read the DEV team is working hard on.  When it comes to saving and upgrading my existing Emiko Station career game, I don't care if it takes them until April. Or August... whatever the case, so be it.

I vote for them to take their time to get it as perfect as possible before releasing it. 

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I would prefer they take their time and get it right.  Especially when it comes to upgrading our current career games, which I read the DEV team is working hard on.  When it comes to saving and upgrading my existing Emiko Station career game, I don't care if it takes them until April. Or August... whatever the case, so be it.

I vote for them to take their time to get it as perfect as possible before releasing it. 

Emiko must NOT be a casualty of 1.1!!!

2 hours ago, seyss said:

It's 2016 and we still don't have clouds. We can't have a savegame with more than ~80 objects without game performance being terrible. Hell, video performance is terrible from the game start while CPU/GPU usage is ~15%. You can have 3TB RAM and KSP will top at 2GB.. can you say Unity 5 will fix these?

if you dont like it you can come up with the cash and form your own software company and make your own damm game and then deal with forum users like you who are evidently ungrateful for all that you DO have in KSP now and be happy and a bit patient.  If it was easy to do, there would be millions of different versions of KSP out there and you would (probably) be poodleing about all the choices you would have to make....sorry...i need to stop ranting....

im glad the forum took out all my harsh language (poodleing LOL)

Edited by Uthgood
cause im a bit calmer now

SQUAD is using ion testing. It's much slower but far more efficient than traditional chemical testing.

Edit: Hey, check it out, 1111 likes! I don't think my post count will ever be able to catch up! :P

Edited by cubinator

Talk about rude. There isn't one bit of any form a positivity.

Squad is taking their time, because it's a massive update. This isn't like any previous update, in fact this is bigger than the release of 1.0, because they have to work with a brand new updated game engine. They have to make sure that everything works as it did, which may mean dumping old files and possibly replacing them, they may have to upgrade them, or any number of things. Not to mention, they also have to BUG TEST it for any bugs that existed in previous versions of the game, as well as find new ones they don't even know about.

Please, keep your problems to yourself. Yes, KSP doesn't take full advantage of your computer's resources, but that's a software issue, not KSP itself. They are planning to fix it, but complaining about it does not make anything go faster.

As to clouds, if I were Squad, the second 1.1 is dropped, I'd openly announce that after hearing all the complaining about the lack of clouds, that they would never be implemented. From what I've seen (and I only see select corners of this forum, but my 5.7k posts speak for themselves), the majority of the demand for clouds come from demands or complaints not suggestions or recommendations. This is were being rude and demanding or in your case, complaining could lead you. Besides, you have your choice of 3 modding outlets, and if they're not good enough for you, then that's your problem.

If you want to know it's taking so long for them to even consider clouds? It is because it requires them to make the clouds, and all the programming and such that goes with it. But then they have to make it optional as well as change how many clouds there are. Clouds eat a lot of CPU, and that alone is why they are not added. Your complaining is one reason why they don't add it. You complain the game barely runs even out of the box, then why do you expect Squad to add something to make it worse? This is again a reason why they would be more likely to push it off the table... until 1.1 rolled around to run with higher memory.

2 hours ago, seyss said:

Aah my friend, the passion! I can feel it oozing through the screen.

Alas, software development is not that easy.  It's even harder than rocket science! Patience will be the only thing that will soothe your mind. 

I must apoligize for my rudeness as well (and my lack of spelling ability), it has been years since i've written any code of my own...but i do appreciate how long it takes to do it (and even longer to do it correctly).  To all of squad, take your time...we (your loyal players) are NOT going anywhere......and to all the modders out there, THANK YOU for sharing with us your creative visions.

3 hours ago, seyss said:

I'm as eager as anyone else to get my hands on 1.1.  However, I'm not inclined to fault Squad for the time taken.

I believe all of the following statements to be true:

1. Everyone at Squad is working as hard and as fast as they can to bring out updates
  2. They're smart, talented people who are good at their jobs (e.g. their programmers know how to program)
  3. They have a good set of priorities for releasing updates (e.g. relative balance between timing, quality, and new content)
  4. They've been spending their time on pretty much the right places (i.e. they've made reasonably good choices about which features to prioritize) 

I don't think it's logically or rationally possible to blame Squad for the time it takes them to come out with 1.1 unless you believe one of the above four statements to be wrong.  So tell me, which one (or more) of those four statements do you disagree with?

I don't think it's possible for you to disagree with #1 or #2 unless you personally know the people at Squad and have been with them at work.  I think those statements are reliably true.

I don't think you're in any position to take issue with #3 unless you've spent time in commercial software production.  I have, for over 20 years, and I think they're doing just fine, there.

Which leaves us with #4.  That one's more subjective than anything else; it's a matter of opinion what features are most important to do first.  Personally, I liked it when they added science... and contracts... and system-wide biomes... and new aerodynamics... and reentry heat... and (upcoming) a major engine upgrade.  Those all added major new elements to gameplay.  You don't get to suggest any additional features (such as "clouds") unless you can point to some other feature that you think they should have cut in order to make room for it.

So, exactly which feature (or features) would you have liked them to drop in order to add clouds (or whatever feature) to the game?

More to the point, exactly what do you contend that Squad should be doing differently from what they're doing?

Edited by Snark

9 hours ago, Andem said:

And another thing, Don't you think SQUAD has gotten enough flak from the whole Kerbalstuff mess?

Yeah. Probably.

As far as 1.1 is concerned, I'm in no rush. It will come out when it comes out.

Edited by GDJ

11 hours ago, seyss said:

Well some of them, yes. Some more than others although one of the main ones is yes, you will be able to use all that RAM.

8 hours ago, Snark said:

More to the point, exactly what do you contend that Squad should be doing differently from what they're doing?

Lots of this applied to quite a few posters recently, not just this thread...

There seem to be many people in more recent months who want to moan without having any form of alternative to what is happening that would solve the issue they are moaning about.

EDIT : That said, we were told that we would have 1.1 before xmas so some frustration at the delay is understandable although I agree with @Snark that whatever the reasons for the delay I am of the opinion that they are valid ones and we will get a better game as a result.

Edited by John FX

It's 2016 and there are several mods that add clouds. Heck, even with the RAM limit you can do A LOT with KSP. 1.1 Is going to really kick off my RSS, RVE, Realism Overhaul playthrough with tons more additional mods.

I'm frustrated by the wait but I'm self-aware enough to know that it's my problem. I do wish I could fiddle around with even unstable builds. That's what I signed up for when I paid for the game back in version like.... 0.10??? I don't even remember how far back it was anymore :P

13 hours ago, seyss said:

Btw, where does the idea that KSP only uses 2GB come from? Afair even WinXP 32bit allocated up to ~3.5GB.

Also yeah, it's 2016. Not sure how relevant that is tho. And only if you follow some heretical calendar, tho. Maya's dont even have time anymore.

I think it's fair to say that 1.1 has taken longer than we originally anticipated. When we had to face this fact back in late November we decided to split the contents of the update in two: the bulk of the content that had been developed for 1.1 was released in a separate patch (1.0.5) and 1.1 wouldn't be released sooner than that it was deemed ready. 

1.1 is a massive update, bigger than any update in the past. When we started we didn't exactly know how much would have to be changed, and in that way we should've perhaps been more prepared. Ultimately though, that wouldn't have decreased the amount of time that the update has taken. I can definitely see how frustrating the wait is for you guys and girls though - we're working as fast as we can. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.