Would you press "z"?

Poll: Would you press "z"  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you press Z?

• Yes, he's toast.
    • No, you're mean!
    • Depends. Who is it?

It depends what outcome you want and where the Kerbal is actually positioned.

If you want him on an orbital escape, and he is actually next to the motor, then YES.

If not, then NO.

If you want to leave him behind, and he is not in front of the motor's exhaust, then YES.

An interesting question with some interesting results... :)

Also, I'm not sure the Spacecraft Exchange is the right place for this thread, you're not sharing a craft, just a pic. :)

Maybe get it moved to General KSP Discussion or something. :)

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

EDIT: Oh, and the engine actually needs to be ON to work anyway. :D

Edited by YargJay9991

I wouldn't. 

Based on the above, it's impossible to tell whether the Kerbal and the ship are falling toward the ground or in orbit. If in orbit, this is just a standard EVA, and pressing Z will either fry him or strand him in orbit. 

If both are falling, it's a slightly different matter. If, as I and others suspect, the Kerbal is not actually lined up directly with the engine, then pressing "Z" will do nothing except move this dangerous hunk of falling metal AWAY from him. 

In my game saves this would be a GOOD thing, as I equip all my Kerbals with parachutes by default. (Vanguard and default plug-in) So he can land safely and watch a great fireworks show! 

Besides - how often have you seen Danny2462 use engine exhaust to launch Kerbals between planets? Yeah - they can survive that. So pressing Z won't necessarily kill a Kerbal in this situation, but it's definitely RUDE. 

The Kerbal is directly behind the engine, so it is to scale and both are in a stable orbit (just rescued him so he is EVA-ing to the command module and I just spotted the photo oppertunity). The engine is a J2-X, which is huge, but you should see the F1 :)

10 hours ago, YargJay9991 said:

Also, I'm not sure the Spacecraft Exchange is the right place for this thread, you're not sharing a craft, just a pic.

Last time I did that, a mod moved it here, so I just place pictures here now :)

The ship in the photo is my Kerbin Tourist shuttle, it brings 6 tourists on a orbital tour of the Mun and Minmus before returning. I also have a lander version that can do the same trip but also land 6 kerbals on both Mun and Minmus. I could use smaller engines like the RL10, but I have no patience for the long burns and the J2X just looks cooler :) 

Edited by Jimbodiah

10 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Yeah, but if you zoom in you can see that his foot is behind the back of the engine bell. I don't think that you're right, Jimbodiah.

Then he just floated beyond the engine while I made the screenshot, I will make another one where you can see the size :)

jeb_02.jpg

Edited by Jimbodiah

Looking at the first screen shot, if calculated correctly hitting "Z" could reduce the Kerbals descent to just enough where his jet pack will give him a safe landing. Keep in mind that suit can resist those temperatures this is Squad Product were talking about here.......:D 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.