ExoMars 2016: on its way to Mars!

Frida Space

Briz-M upper stage delivered the probes on the desidered trajectory with a velocity error of just 1.5 m/s! Also, a few hours after AOS, TGO's main engine started overheating. This was fixed by adjusting the probe's orientation so that the engine nozzle wasn't in sunlight. Aside from that, a pretty calm beginning of cruise, let's hope it stays that way!

www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/ExoMars_performing_flawlessly

Hey there :)

I've made a short edited cinematic of Exomars mission in KSP Vanilla and i thought that some of you might be interested, is it a good place to post it ? Don't want to brake tu rules :)

8 hours ago, Dakitess said:

Hey there :)

I've made a short edited cinematic of Exomars mission in KSP Vanilla and i thought that some of you might be interested, is it a good place to post it ? Don't want to brake tu rules :)

It's probably ok to post it here.

7 hours ago, Dakitess said:

Okay then... Here It is !

Feel free to give me any constructive feedback, good or bad !

Cool, but it looks like you used mods...

Also, the audio is off sync.

However, this is more than I can ever hope to do in KSP.

Edited by fredinno

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The launch of the second phase of the ExoMars mission (i.e. ESA rover + Roscosmos science platform) has been delayed to 2020. This was quite expected - ESA's DG had even written "ExoMars 2018/2020" in one of his slides on ExoMars 2016 launch day - but it's still pretty sad to hear the confirmation. But I guess it's better to delay and do it right than do it on time but fail :)

The next launch window, after that of 2018, is in July 2020.

http://exploration.esa.int/mars/57789-second-exomars-mission-moves-to-next-launch-opportunity-in-2020

Edited by Frida Space

That means there are at least four missions with six spacecraft heading towards Mars in the 2020 window; Exomars 2020 rover and lander, NASA 2020 rover, the UAE Al-Amal orbiter, and the Chinese rover and lander. Add in that the probable slips to Red Dragon and the possible second Indian orbiter, and that's six missions with eight spacecraft.

23 hours ago, Kryten said:

That means there are at least four missions with six spacecraft heading towards Mars in the 2020 window; Exomars 2020 rover and lander, NASA 2020 rover, the UAE Al-Amal orbiter, and the Chinese rover and lander. Add in that the probable slips to Red Dragon and the possible second Indian orbiter, and that's six missions with eight spacecraft.

Given what an unforgiving target Mars can be, that's kind of good; maybe four will make it.

• 2 months later...

Big burn coming up in half an hour for ExoMars. A few stats:

• Burn begins today (28-07-2016) at 11:30 CEST, lasts 50-ish minutes
  • Delta-v of 326.497 m/s, 95% of that needed to intercept Mars on October 19th
  • The remaining 5% of delta-v will be split between a second manoeuvre, on August 11th, and two smaller correction burns, on September 19th and October 14th
  • During today's burn, the high gain antenna won't be pointed at Earth; just basic telemetry from carrier signal and Doppler will be available

UPDATE

Today's big burn was a complete success - the thruster underperfomed by just 0.01%. The manoeuvre lasted 52 minutes, well in the planned duration window (there was no fixed duration, as the onboard software was tasked with monitoring the accelerometers in real time and automatically shutting down the thruster only once the desired delta-V was reached).

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2016 at 2:52 PM, Kryten said:

Earth Invades!

Mars01.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.