Jump to content

Modding Monday: Tbone's XAGM!


SQUAD
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

This thread is proof that people can quite literally hate anything.

Come on, bringing hatred into the discussion is really an exaggeration.

Concerning feelings:

[joke]poor Kibrahim al-Kermani can't live in peace anymore, with this kind of weapons over him ...[/joke]

 

Edit: I'm sure you see what i mean. It's clearly *not* hatred (in contrary !), but all these shooting things lead in the wrong direction. We can watch a news clip now where a rocket kills enemies and say "Look dad, i can do that in KSP as well !"

 

Edited by kemde
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's be clear, expressing one's opinion and communicating any displeasure regarding weapons mods being featured is not "hating" either Squad or the modder who created a fantastic piece of code.

Creating hyperbole on top of an honest comment is where this community falls off the rails.

NOW, ON TOPIC: This is great bit of mod work (Seriously). But it does not mesh with my style of play. Peace, Out Bruvs.

Edited by Wallygator
Sphelling and being absolutely certain that there is no "hate" in my message
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I commend SQUAD for not including weaponry into the stock game, makes a great change and a good moral point. However squad are game developers, therefore geeks and programmers, so are quite able to appreciate someone else's hard work and commend them for what they've built even if it does not mesh with the position they've taken for the game! We all know BD armoury is amazing, even if you don't use it (like me) let someone else get recognition!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

What is with all the hatred toward Squad as of late? First the virtual lynch mobs over the 1.1 open experimentals on Steam, then the contempt toward the cutaway IVA feature shown by Das Valdez, and now this? Maybe Squad was impressed with the quality of work of the coding and modeling itself, and not the superficial fact it's an armed missile.

This past year I've become increasingly disappointed at the content and attitude of some of the forum posts in this community. :huh:

Let's not forget the Golden Rule, and everything doesn't need to be taken so seriously.

EDIT: I admit my post may have been fairly strongly-worded as well.  Sorry for the off-topic rant. :sealed:

Agreed.

As long as mature people are still commenting on the forum there is hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to have BDArmoury installed, but then suddenly the Space-part of Kerbal Space Program clicked again and i decided the mod was making me focus on atmospheric vehichles too much.

(i am still way better at planes than rockets; heck, i have trouble with Minimus transfers o_0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the military has almost always brought about advances in civilian's every day life. If not for the interest, we most likely would be getting around on bicycle parts propelled planes. Can you imagine flying from New York to London on that?  The peddle lag? Forget about carry-ons. Tbone has some skills, that is for certain. Good Job by the way.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think it would be really neat if this mod could be somehow used to get science on other planets.  Just think:  Sending probes to specific locations, etc

Using military technology to further science, Werner would be proud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion, if a person buys and plays a game, let them play the way that they would want to. Its their money and time and they should use it in a way that they wish. If it's not how you would play the game and/or you disagree with what they are doing, that is what you think and fair enough but you don't have to around launching hate at the guy.

maybe he has done all the other things in the game and has moved onto creating something new because there is already a lot of good quality spaceship part packs around, it would be hard to get noticed as a new, maybe less experienced moder so creating something entirely new, like a weapon in this case, is not a bad idea to get started.

Edited by ckirky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KSP Bros said:

WHAT? This gets featured? C'mon, I made two weapons mods (Star Wars BD addon and Starfire laser pack), and this gets featured. No offense to the modder, it must be a good missile, but this is just a 1 part mod!

And no offence to your mods, but you can't seriously mean you judge the quality of a mod by the number of parts it includes? There's a difference between tweaking the visual style of allready existing mods and coding a GPS-tracking auto-piloted missile. Most of the mods featured here are mods that bring something extraordinary to the table, like cleverly coded modules, new resources or brand new gaming elements.

I'm not even interested in weapon mods, but I can still see what a stellar piece of coding this is. It deserves the spot, no question about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KSP Bros said:

WHAT? This gets featured? C'mon, I made two weapons mods (Star Wars BD addon and Starfire laser pack), and this gets featured. No offense to the modder, it must be a good missile, but this is just a 1 part mod!

You HAVE a one part mod (SpacePotatoes)

KSP Bros KS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if i do not personally use weapon mod, i think they do have their place in some people game.

Hey, my son would not have started building rocket if i did not got him interested with BDarmory first.

If one of thing, this mods will put a smile on my 8 year old Big Boy ( you can judge the fact i let à 8 year old play military KSP all you want, i would'nt mind. He's tired of Skyrim by now  and could not get to appreciate fallout lol), i think that's enough to justify its existence! 

 

Bit of a unsuful, but after the Previous bickering, i tought this would at least put a smile on the mod author face. You my friend, have just made à kid KSP experience a tad better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Madscientist16180 said:

Even if i do not personally use weapon mod, i think they do have their place in some people game.

Hey, my son would not have started building rocket if i did not got him interested with BDarmory first.

If one of thing, this mods will put a smile on my 8 year old Big Boy ( you can judge the fact i let à 8 year old play military KSP all you want, i would'nt mind. He's tired of Skyrim by now  and could not get to appreciate fallout lol), i think that's enough to justify its existence! 

 

Bit of a unsuful, but after the Previous bickering, i tought this would at least put a smile on the mod author face. You my friend, have just made à kid KSP experience a tad better!

If a child can play a game with violence and not exhibit violence in real life then personally he can play all he wants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2016 at 9:09 AM, Wallygator said:

an official KSP nod to a weapons mod?

I am totally put out.  

KSP is NOT a military simulation. Never has been.

WHY DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE SUCH A VIOLENT MOD?

Squad should be ashamed of themselves,

 

A Large majority of KSP players use it for military style play. ( With BDA's help KSP has become quit the military sim if you so choose)

Mods help the game appeal to an even larger audience so from a business perspective it is is a good thing to adadvertise different sorts of mods.

On 15/03/2016 at 8:09 AM, KSP Bro AE said:

WHAT? This gets featured? C'mon, I made two weapons mods (Star Wars BD addon and Starfire laser pack), and this gets featured. No offense to the modder, it must be a good missile, but this is just a 1 part mod!

What @Han_Hecking_Solo said.

On 15/03/2016 at 0:06 PM, Han_Hecking_Solo said:

because it isn't a gigantic content pack. Those mods already get the attention they deserve.

I know your mods are also not that big (no offence) but saying that does not in anyway help your chances of getting your mods featured

On 15/03/2016 at 8:12 PM, Kertech said:

I commend SQUAD for not including weaponry into the stock game, makes a great change and a good moral point. However squad are game developers, therefore geeks and programmers, so are quite able to appreciate someone else's hard work and commend them for what they've built even if it does not mesh with the position they've taken for the game! We all know BD armoury is amazing, even if you don't use it (like me) let someone else get recognition!

So true lets hope everyone else sees it like that.

Edited by BT Industries
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot more complaining and gripe about a mod than there should be. oooh, it has *weapons*, is that really a big deal, is everybody here that sensitive? "This is a space game not a military sim", if it's such a space-only game, why do so many people build every other thing under the Sun rather than space stuff, riddle me that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2016 at 9:35 PM, StickyScissors said:

A lot more complaining and gripe about a mod than there should be. oooh, it has *weapons*, is that really a big deal, is everybody here that sensitive? "This is a space game not a military sim", if it's such a space-only game, why do so many people build every other thing under the Sun rather than space stuff, riddle me that.

I'm pretty sure you seem a little sensitive about the situation yourself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2016 at 6:09 PM, Wallygator said:

an official KSP nod to a weapons mod?

I am totally put out.  

KSP is NOT a military simulation. Never has been.

WHY DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE SUCH A VIOLENT MOD?

Squad should be ashamed of themselves,

 

Shaking my head at you right now. Its everyone's right to play the game how they want to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SpaceToad said:

Shaking my head at you right now. Its everyone's right to play the game how they want to.

At what point exactly did I suggest that this was about play style in the OP?  I didn't.

This is all about Squad promoting a military weapons mod.  (BTW - A promoted mod has a  higher chance of being made stock in case you haven't noticed)

Here's an official straw man for you to chew on: Let's say someone creates a mod that accurately replicates napalm in KSP.  It would be so well done and coded that people would say "wow that's a fantastic piece of code". It would show in graphic detail or even cartoonish detail the skin actually melting off Kerbals when they are bombarded with it. It would even have sound effects of their screaming, Oh and how about a simpit interface that emits actual smells of burning flesh - yea, that too.

  • The very next Monday this napalm mod appears on the community forum site and is praised, all the while the official stated position being that weapons are not planned as a component of the game.
  • Do you think it wise for them to do so?
  • What impact will it have on the game brand when mods like these gradually overshadow the exploration and science aspects of the game?
  • What about the 6 year old who creates a fan art drawing of the skin melting + napalm + Kerbal scenario <--- will that get featured on Fridays?

Not Mondays: "Weapons have no place in stock KSP. We will never make weapons in the game."

Mondays: "Ooh! Look at this really cool weapons mod everyone! WE LOVE NAPALM!"

How may other games glorify war, weapons and killing? Do we really need KSP to be another one of those?

In the end, It's squad's decision what to do with KSP and weapons.  It's my personal personal decision to protest such actions. Everyone else can do as they like with their voices or their silence. However, players who agree that weapons should never be part of the stock game must continue to voice their opinions strongly.

Play the game how you want. Write and use the mods you want - but no more official promotions of weapons mods please. They can still all reside off-site at Curse and/or Spackdock/port/whatever

Oh, and exactly what direction is your head actually shaking?  Left/Right, Up/down? Or perhaps just reading the OP caused a seizure. If the latter, I'm really sorry about that. Really, I am. Still, i laughed a bit.

And thank you for providing the opportunity to correct the trajectory of this thread.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Nothing in this message is intended to be said or quoted by or from squad. Quotation marks are used for effect only. This message has had all its hate removed prior to posting. There are no plans to create a NAPALM! mod, and please no one should do it.  Please NO!

Edited by Wallygator
Disclaimer, and as usual, schpelling...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

Large majority? Do you have any statistics to back this claim? 

No I do not.

That was completely based on the amount of youtubers and people I personally know that usw BDA and I think it is safe to assume that there are many more that I do not know and are not youtubers.

Even if it just ends up being my friends and a couple of youtubers are the only ones that ue BDA (which I doubt) then who cares.

People who like doing so can do so!

I have to agree that Squad should not add weapons to their game, but it is as I said before from a business point of view a good thing to recognise a niche in the community and support it (not that I agree).

In other words its a question of business over ethics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Wallygator said:

At what point exactly did I suggest that this was about play style in the OP?  I didn't.

This is all about Squad promoting a military weapons mod.  (BTW - A promoted mod has a  higher chance of being made stock in case you haven't noticed)

Here's an official straw man for you to chew on: Let's say someone creates a mod that accurately replicates napalm in KSP.  It would be so well done and coded that people would say "wow that's a fantastic piece of code". It would show in graphic detail or even cartoonish detail the skin actually melting off Kerbals when they are bombarded with it. It would even have sound effects of their screaming, Oh and how about a simpit interface that emits actual smells of burning flesh - yea, that too.

  • The very next Monday this napalm mod appears on the community forum site and is praised, all the while the official stated position being that weapons are not planned as a component of the game.
  • Do you think it wise for them to do so?
  • What impact will it have on the game brand when mods like these gradually overshadow the exploration and science aspects of the game?
  • What about the 6 year old who creates a fan art drawing of the skin melting + napalm + Kerbal scenario <--- will that get featured on Fridays?

Not Mondays: "Weapons have no place in stock KSP. We will never make weapons in the game."

Mondays: "Ooh! Look at this really cool weapons mod everyone! WE LOVE NAPALM!"

How may other games glorify war, weapons and killing? Do we really need KSP to be another one of those?

In the end, It's squad's decision what to do with KSP and weapons.  It's my personal personal decision to protest such actions. Everyone else can do as they like with their voices or their silence. However, players who agree that weapons should never be part of the stock game must continue to voice their opinions strongly.

Play the game how you want. Write and use the mods you want - but no more official promotions of weapons mods please. They can still all reside off-site at Curse and/or Spackdock/port/whatever

Oh, and exactly what direction is your head actually shaking?  Left/Right, Up/down? Or perhaps just reading the OP caused a seizure. If the latter, I'm really sorry about that. Really, I am. Still, i laughed a bit.

And thank you for providing the opportunity to correct the trajectory of this thread.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Nothing in this message is intended to be said or quoted by or from squad. Quotation marks are used for effect only. This message has had all its hate removed prior to posting. There are no plans to create a NAPALM! mod, and please no one should do it.  Please NO!

I admire your dedication to your stance, but isn't this game already a killing simulator? I mean, launching rockets with side-of-the-road parts, and dumb smirks on their faces, with little concern given to their safety or needs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...