RSS Constellations | Solar System Discussion

Andi K.

This is just place for you to brainstorm and share what star systems should be added to the Constellations mod. I plan on adding the ones below soon.

Planned Systems

• 55 Cancri (Copernicus)
  • Epsilon Eridani (Ran)
  • GJ 667

Current Star Systems

• Alpha Centauri
  • Proxima Centauri (all planets have been added)
  • GJ 3293 (all planets have been added)
  • HD 10180 (all planets have been added)
  • Tau Ceti (all planets have been added)
  • Wolf 1061 (all planets have been added)
  • Ursa Major
Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

36 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

yes please!!! more RSS-compatible star systems! I would go with the closest one there is as it's going to be freaking hard to get there!!!!

Problem with that is that you can't really get away with putting the system any further apart than 10^11 meters (not even 1/100 of the way out to the apoapsis of the hypothetical Planet Nine!) because of bugs that arise when you put planets or stars that far away. Alpha Centauri is 100,000 times further than that.

The opening to the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy has this to say on the subject of space:

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen...

and so on.

5 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Problem with that is that you can't really get away with putting the system any further apart than 10^11 meters (not even 1/100 of the way out to the apoapsis of the hypothetical Planet Nine!) because of bugs that arise when you put planets or stars that far away. Alpha Centauri is 100,000 times further than that.

The opening to the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy has this to say on the subject of space:

and so on.

how is this distance limit being overcome in this mod then? per it's OP the HD 10180 system is located at 127 light years from the sun.

I didn't know the mod existed but I will deffo try it!

Edited by hypervelocity

7 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

how is this distance limit being overcome in this mod then? per it's OP the HD 10180 system is located at 127 light years from the sun.

I didn't know the mod existed but I will deffo try it!

I'd be willing to bet that the mod has a couple of distance related bugs.

How about the solar system Gliese 3293? It's a red dwarf star with 42% the Sun's mass and about 40% its diameter. GJ 3293 also has three gas giants, all in its habitable zone. There could be some very interesting moons! I've also named the entire system. GJ 3293 is named Euanthe, after the mother of the Charities in Greek mythology. The 3 planets are named after the Charities. In order, the planets are Aglaea, Euthymia, and Thalia.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

On 3/15/2016 at 5:22 PM, GregroxMun said:

I'd be willing to bet that the mod has a couple of distance related bugs.

Really? The only bug I've been able to find is when using hyperedit to land on a planet. Sometimes it really screws with kerbin/earth. What bugs have you seen that are a result of these huge distances?

On 3/14/2016 at 4:24 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Planned Star Systems

• GJ 3293
  • Wolf 1061
  • Alpha Centauri
  • Tau Ceti

Wow, thanks for including my system suggestion! Also, I have names for the Wolf 1061 and Alpha Centauri systems. Wolf 1061 is named Alaunius, after the Gaulish deity of the Sun, healing, and prophecy, similar to Apollo. The planets are named after settlements with a historical connection to the god via monuments. From b through d, the planets are Ardoch (WL-1061 b)Alcester (WL-1061 c), and Normandy (WL-1061 d).The name for Wolf 1061 d is also a little tribute to the Mass Effect game series.

3 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Wow, thanks for including my system suggestion! Also, I have names for the Wolf 1061 and Alpha Centauri systems. Wolf 1061 is named Alaunius, after the Gaulish deity of the Sun, healing, and prophecy, similar to Apollo. The planets are named after settlements with a historical connection to the god via monuments. From b through d, the planets are Ardoch (WL-1061 b)Alcester (WL-1061 c), and Normandy (WL-1061 d).The name for Wolf 1061 d is also a little tribute to the Mass Effect game series.

No problem! I'm trying to decide whether to create new familiar names for each of the planets. Maybe I could put their new name in the description of the planet/star?

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures I have some suggestions for HD10180I and HD10180J. Planet I could be an active volcano planet that is stretched by planets C and D. There could be giant mountain ranges going through black, volcanic rocks and boiling, molten seas. A thin atmosphere (of acid, acid, and more acid) could be possible. Planet I's radius could be about 1,100 km, and its gravity could be 1.9 gees (not nearly 2 gees because of all the lightweight lava).

Planet J, on the other hand, would be a lot calmer. It may be somewhat like Venus, with dormant volcanoes and dried-up lava channels. The surface could be a dusty shade of yellow-orange sand covered in dunes, with occasional mountains ranges. These mountains would be flat and wide, thanks to Planet J's high gravity of 2.7 gees. Maybe giant lowlands? The planet's radius could be about 1,500 km.

Again, these are just ideas. Maybe they're reality, maybe they're not. Use 'em or not, it's your choice.

(I just realized this would've been great for my Exoplanets forum thread. Shame on me)

• 2 weeks later...

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Since it seems like my suggestion system is up next, I would like to add some more ideas and some changes. GJ 3293 should NOT be named Euanthe. I found out that it's a moon of Jupiter. And I was going for the least used name variant! GJ 3293 should be named Aegle. In Greek mythology, Aegle was the mother of the Charities by Helios (in a few stories), and was also the name for one of the Heliades and Hesperides. Another Aegle from Greek mythology was based off of a word meaning "Brightness" or "Splendor." Basically, she's got a lot of sun-related stuff going on, so it seems logical to name a star after her.

I also have an idea for a moon of Euthymia: Cephissus. Named after a river sacred to the Charities, Cephissus would be a dusty world etched in rivers that are surrounded by brown-black flora. How about that?

• 1 month later...

Hello?

Is this topic active?

Well, I'll just leave a suggestion.

I think we should keep using the formal names. It's much easier to remember than new common names, unless IAU approves the new names. Several exoplanets already have them, like Epsilon Eridani as Ran, and it's planet b as AEgir.

Binary star systems would have some problem, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.