14 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I've been trying to do this recently. Is there a reason why the daedlus engine only has a thrust of 300 kn in your mod?

Only 300 kN?  You have to take into consideration that this is a High Isp engine, which is the only way we going to be able to achieve a significant portion of the speed of light.

The engine has an incredible Isp of 1000000 seconds, that means the engines effect thrust power is equal to 1000000s * 9.8066 m/s * 300000 newton * 0.5 = 1470997500000 Joule = 1.47 Tera Watt each second!,

Now, if you expected instant acceleration to high speed you are mistaken, this engine works best in high time acceleration

Basically you aim for your target solar system , increase thrust higher than 0 and time warp to max.You will see that in a matter of seconds you accelerate out of the solar system and towards the target star. You might have to circle out of the solar system if you are starting from a low orbit

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Only 300 kN?  You have to take into consideration that this is a High Isp engine, which is the only way we going to be able to achieve a significant portion of the speed of light.

The engine has an incredible Isp of 1000000 seconds, that means the engines effect thrust power is equal to 1000000s * 9.8066 m/s * 300000 newton * 0.5 = 1470997500000 Joule = 1.47 Tera Watt each second!,

Now, if you expected instant acceleration to high speed you are mistake, this engine works bet in high acceleration

Basically you aim for your target solar system , increase thrust higher than 0 and time warp to max.You will see that in a matter of seconds you accelerate out of the solar system and towards the target star. You might have to circle out of the solar system if you are starting from a low orbit

Okay I see. Sorry for my ignorance!

On 7-8-2016 at 11:21 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Okay I see. Sorry for my ignorance!

That ok, I guess you were expecting a Torch ship, capable of unreasonable amount of thrust at very high Isp, but the Intertellar Daedalus engine is based on real engine specs, I just scaled it down

But have you managed to use it to reach another star? Understand you need to bring a lot of Deuterium/Helium3 fuel, and need to run in time warp for a long time (a year).

Your Interstellar Daedalus vessel should look something like this:

8PczGqy.png

Off course you first need to get it into orbit, but that isn't tto hard ..

Note that depending on installed mods, the speed of light will also be affected, which will make you experience special relativity effects (like slowing down of time and increasing vessel mass).

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

That ok, I guess you were expecting a Torch ship, capable of unreasonable amount of thrust at very high Isp, but the Insatellar Daedalus engine is based on real engine specs, I just scaled it down

But have you managed to use it to reach another star? Understand you need to bring a lot of Deuteurium/Helium3 fuel, and need to run in time warp for a long time (a year).

Your Interstellar Daedalus vessel should look something like this:

8PczGqy.png

Off cource you first need to get it into orbit, but that isn't tto hard ..

Note that depending on installed mods, the speed of light will also be affected, which will make you experience special relativity effects (like slowing down of time and increading vessel mass).

I'm still working on it. About those spherical fuel tanks, the fuel in them doesn't automatically feed into whatever fuel tank it is attached to. When I try to use fuel lines, they don't attach to the spherical tank. Is there something I'm missing? I kind of want to use them not only so that it looks like the real daedalus concept, but also so that I don't have to make it so long.

Another question: Do you think making a Project Longshot spacecraft would be possible in KSPIE? I believe you have the thruster that is supposed to be on it.

Sorry if any of my questions sound dumb. This is the very first time I've actually used Interstellar Extended, and there is a bit of a learning curve!

38 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

About those spherical fuel tanks, the fuel in them doesn't automatically feed into whatever fuel tank it is attached to. When I try to use fuel lines, they don't attach to the spherical tank. Is there something I'm missing? I kind of want to use them not only so that it looks like the real daedalus concept, but also so that I don't have to make it so long.

You don't need to connect the spherical Fuel tanks to the the vessel, all KSPI-E radial tanks have auto cross feed connector, this saves on your part count and makes things easier. Note the spherical tank can also be decoupled, this actualy allows you to dump them after they are empty which is usefull as every gram counts. By transfer the fuel to the remainig tanks, you can empty the tanks you want to dump. The trick is to keep your vessel balanced, otherwise you risk the wrath of the Kraken. Don't make the kraken angry othewise he rip you to shreds!

38 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Another question: Do you think making a Project Longshot spacecraft would be possible in KSPIE? I believe you have the thruster that is supposed to be on it

Note that KSPI-E Daedalus is technical very similar to LongShot and since KSPI-E Daedalus require power to operate, simialr to Longshot.

Instead I first want to work on realizing project starshot. The idea is to make KSPI-E exisiting solar sail work with KSPI exisitng beamed power network. It should effectivly allow you to transfer anything in the solar system or propel a probe toward another star without any propellant. This technology will be available before Daedalus pulsed fusion engine. It should effectvely allow you to send probes to all Extra solar system in the neighbourhood.

Although the Daedalus is mend for a flyby mission, you could also turn you vessel half way and reverse speed until you enter the extra solar system. Then you could start a colony in on a suitable planet

Edited by FreeThinker

I've finally been able to create an interstellar spacecraft! Although I haven't successfully reached another star, it is definitely possible with this craft. This spacecraft doesn't have any means of slowing down so you will only have a short flyby of the star. However, it is able to speed up to 4% the speed of light, which would allow you to travel to Alpha Centauri in just 125 years. I will put the interstellar spacecraft, along with a couple of interplanetary spacecraft up for download. They all require KSPIE and TweakScale, so keep that in mind.

The following spoiler contains some suggestions, with possible offensive words (Idk if it's offensive or not, but please tell me if it's offensive) And more planet suggestions :D.

Spoiler

"After several days of just watching this develop, I have to say that this mod is getting out of what I imagined."

I'm not saying that it is bad idea, but it is quite fictional to my feelings.

As I used to say that smaller planets tend to be rocky, but the innermost and the least massive planet in Tau Ceti system turns out to be a bloating helium planet. Helium planets are white, but its formation requires time, in order of 10 billion years, when Tau Ceti is just 5.8 billion years old. And the next planet is airless giant planet with rings. These supermercurian planets are very rare, and one with rings are extremely rare. This is likely due to a moon that enter the Roche limit, but to create visible ring gap, calculate resonance with any possible moons (or add a tiny shepherd moon right into it.) Also, if the ring is old, make it faint. Tau Ceti d and Tau Ceti e's current design are possible, but I always imagine them like another Venus-like planets.  Tau Ceti f is the most realistic planet in Tau Ceti system.

About the newly added Wolf 1061, the planet b must have oceans made from other liquid (certainly not water!) (I want to know what is it) and the planet d with water-ammonia mix oceans.

I have nothing against the gas giants in HD 10800 and Gliese 3293.

Some more planet suggestions:

• HIP 11915, where Jupiter analog is found orbiting a solar analog (HIP 11915 b).
  • Gliese 667, a three star system with the least massive one having potentially habitable tidally locked rocky planet (Gliese 667Cc).
  • 40 Eridani AKA Keid, put Vulcan there for fun. :D

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but for anyone interested, you can get this to work separate from the RealSolarSystem mod by editing all the cfg files included in this mod and removing the :AFTER[RealSolarSystem] from the top of each file. Just figured I would share!

• 3 weeks later...
On 18-8-2016 at 9:05 PM, Zetal said:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but for anyone interested, you can get this to work separate from the RealSolarSystem mod by editing all the cfg files included in this mod and removing the :AFTER[RealSolarSystem] from the top of each file. Just figured I would share!

It would be nice if it could be included in the mod download

On 10-8-2016 at 7:30 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I've finally been able to create an interstellar spacecraft! Although I haven't successfully reached another star, it is definitely possible with this craft. This spacecraft doesn't have any means of slowing down so you will only have a short flyby of the star. However, it is able to speed up to 4% the speed of light, which would allow you to travel to Alpha Centauri in just 125 years. I will put the interstellar spacecraft, along with a couple of interplanetary spacecraft up for download. They all require KSPIE and TweakScale, so keep that in mind.

Intresting, what whas the mass of the interstellar vessel in Kerbin Orbit? Could you post a screeenshot?

Edited by FreeThinker

On 9/8/2016 at 0:50 AM, Fox Loco said:

For some reason all extra solar planets are white, i have it all installed via ckan, so may not be the case that i've screwed up the installation, any help?

I got white planets too. I installed the mod manually.

On 7-9-2016 at 7:50 PM, Fox Loco said:

For some reason all extra solar planets are white, i have it all installed via ckan, so may not be the case that i've screwed up the installation, any help?

Well it would be a great feature if the dull gas planet would turn into an intresting planet would appear once you have a interstellar probe in range with an onboard telescope

This would be realistic behaviour if we ever plan to send probes to neighby stars

Edited by FreeThinker

Heys guys. I'm sorry I have been less than active on this mod. School started for mid-August, and I kind of put this mod on the back burner (not only that but I've been experimenting with modding EU4 and Vicky 2). I see you've posted a lot of questions, suggestions and comments, and I thought I'd reply to them.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:39 AM, Hypercosmic said:

The following spoiler contains some suggestions, with possible offensive words (Idk if it's offensive or not, but please tell me if it's offensive) And more planet suggestions :D.

Reveal hidden contents

"After several days of just watching this develop, I have to say that this mod is getting out of what I imagined."

I'm not saying that it is bad idea, but it is quite fictional to my feelings.

As I used to say that smaller planets tend to be rocky, but the innermost and the least massive planet in Tau Ceti system turns out to be a bloating helium planet. Helium planets are white, but its formation requires time, in order of 10 billion years, when Tau Ceti is just 5.8 billion years old. And the next planet is airless giant planet with rings. These supermercurian planets are very rare, and one with rings are extremely rare. This is likely due to a moon that enter the Roche limit, but to create visible ring gap, calculate resonance with any possible moons (or add a tiny shepherd moon right into it.) Also, if the ring is old, make it faint. Tau Ceti d and Tau Ceti e's current design are possible, but I always imagine them like another Venus-like planets.  Tau Ceti f is the most realistic planet in Tau Ceti system.

About the newly added Wolf 1061, the planet b must have oceans made from other liquid (certainly not water!) (I want to know what is it) and the planet d with water-ammonia mix oceans.

I have nothing against the gas giants in HD 10800 and Gliese 3293.

Some more planet suggestions:

• HIP 11915, where Jupiter analog is found orbiting a solar analog (HIP 11915 b).
  • Gliese 667, a three star system with the least massive one having potentially habitable tidally locked rocky planet (Gliese 667Cc).
  • 40 Eridani AKA Keid, put Vulcan there for fun. :D

Nice suggestions. About the realism, at the end of the day, this mod has to be entertaining. Unfortunately, If I were to make each of these planets 100% realistic, they would all look very similar and boring. Although I'm not going to throw realism completely out of the window, the planets still have to look creative and interesting.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, Zetal said:

I can make a separate download for a vanilla compatible one if you want.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:34 PM, Scotskerb said:

I noticed you saying that this mod multiplies star distances IRL  by 0.1. Could you maybe create a configuration option to not do this (I'm trying to do a KSP project that's as real as humanly possible)?

I mean, if you are willing to wait for many more hours for you to get to the stars, I guess I can.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:50 PM, Fox Loco said:

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:54 AM, Hypercosmic said:

I got white planets too. I installed the mod manually.

That's very weird. Can you guys try to see if there is a common denominator between both of your games? Maybe you both a running a certain mod, or you both are running in 32 bit?

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:33 AM, FreeThinker said:

It would be nice if it could be included in the mod download

Intresting, what whas the mass of the interstellar vessel in Kerbin Orbit? Could you post a screeenshot?

Screenshot is on the first page under the "Screenshots" spoiler. I'm not sure what the mass of it. I got a new computer recently and have to reinstall KSP, so it might take me some time to tell you what the mass of it is.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:26 AM, FreeThinker said:

Well it would be a great feature if the dull gas planet would turn into an intresting planet would appear once you have a interstellar probe in range with an onboard telescope

This would be realistic behaviour if we ever plan to send probes to neighby stars

That would be interesting, but the behavior these guys are seeing is definitely not intentional.

On 3/18/2016 at 6:40 PM, mark7 said:

Well……If I get it right, HD10180 is 127 lightyears away, and even your ship travels at the speed of light, it will take 127 years. ( Alright I know relativities didnt work in KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM)

On 3/18/2016 at 6:02 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

"Planet Flag On HD10180C Within 3 Years"?

Challenge Accepted:cool:

"It's Time Kick Asteroids And Chewing Rocket Engines I'm All Out Of Engines" Dukem Kerman

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:20 PM, G3n3r4l said:

I had issue with this, the planets on the other solar system's were just plain white. Any idea what could cause this?

Hypercosmic and Fox Loco are experiencing similar issues, yet for me, the mod is working A-Okay. Can you try communicating with those two and see if there is a common denominator? Perhaps you guys are both running in 32bit? Perhaps there is a mod you guys all have installed? Without that type of information, I will unfortunately not be able to do much about the problem.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:20 PM, G3n3r4l said:

I had issue with this, the planets on the other solar system's were just plain white. Any idea what could cause this?

Oh my god I'm so stupid! I made the amateur mistake of messing up the file directories! I'm so sorry you guys had to deal with that for a month! I'll change that right now!

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, torchard96 said:

I was just playing around with this and I found an issue with the sea level on wolf 1061's planets

http://imgur.com/a/CYbZa

I used the Scansat mod to find the altitude if you were wondering.

Planets are in no way finished products. Just trying to get a lot of planets done and then refining them in later updates.

10 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Planets are in no way finished products. Just trying to get a lot of planets done and then refining them in later updates.

Sounds good, any idea how many systems you'll be making before you can start refinement?

4 minutes ago, torchard96 said:

Sounds good, any idea how many systems you'll be making before you can start refinement?

If you go to the Solar System Discussion Thread, you'll see what star systems are planned to be added. I'll probably add refinements as I add new star systems.