Lots of new stuff coming in the next update. Most notably, compatibility with ResearchBodies and the Community Resource Pack. In the upcoming update, if ResearchBodies is installed, you will have to use a telescope to discover the exoplanets before trying to get to them, otherwise they'll appear as unknown objects. I am also working on a visual enhancement mod for Constellations. Here's some little teasers:

QXsiaVa.png

DX8TBPm.png

After many hours, I finally got the scatterer sun flares to work on all of the stars! this is only a very small portion of what the visual enhancement mod will be, so don't expect me to release any downloads until a couple of weeks from now.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Just a thought: do you suppose there might be a way to make the stars nonmoving rather than orbiting the sun. Basically, each star (including the sun) would have a fixed position and limited SOI. Then you would have the space outside of all SOI's, where the status on your ship says "floating in space" rather than "orbiting the sun" or "on escape trajectory out of the sun". At this point, the navball would still point at the sun, but you would have the option of manually switching it to other stars (or you can wait for your ship to enter the star's SOI, where it'll switch automatically). I'm not sure whether or not this is possible to code into KSP, but could you maybe consider trying this?

EDIT: Even better: what if only the star system you're in gets loaded? It would basically be like loading dimensions in Minecraft: only your location gets loaded. You would still be able to see stars in the tracking station and map view, but their planets will only load if you're focused on an object (spacecraft, planet, etc.) within their SOI.

Edited by Scotskerb
Forgot to include something

1 hour ago, Scotskerb said:

Just a thought: do you suppose there might be a way to make the stars nonmoving rather than orbiting the sun. Basically, each star (including the sun) would have a fixed position and limited SOI. Then you would have the space outside of all SOI's, where the status on your ship says "floating in space" rather than "orbiting the sun" or "on escape trajectory out of the sun". At this point, the navball would still point at the sun, but you would have the option of manually switching it to other stars (or you can wait for your ship to enter the star's SOI, where it'll switch automatically). I'm not sure whether or not this is possible to code into KSP, but could you maybe consider trying this?

EDIT: Even better: what if only the star system you're in gets loaded? It would basically be like loading dimensions in Minecraft: only your location gets loaded. You would still be able to see stars in the tracking station and map view, but their planets will only load if you're focused on an object (spacecraft, planet, etc.) within their SOI.

To my knowledge, there is not a way to do that. It shouldn't be that much of a problem anyways. At the distances those stars orbit, you'd have to be playing literally millions of in-game years for the stars to have changed position a noticeable amount. I tried doing the galactic center method that Galactic Neighborhood does, but there are a couple reasons why I decided to go with the heliocentric model.

1. It's more stable and not super glitchy
  2. There is no point besides it being more accurate
  3. It makes it easier to position the stars at their approximate locations and at the correct distances

If I can find a way of doing the galactic center method while keeping the game stable, I will update the mod to this. Otherwise, I'm going to keep it the way I have it right now.

Some small information about what I am planning:

I am planning on adding most selectable stars in this simulation. This doesn't mean that I will add their planets, as that would make the mod way larger than what is reasonable. I really want to give the feeling that you are actually exploring the Universe, and you can travel to any star you want. Will possibly come in version 1.3 or 1.4 of this mod.

UPDATE FOR CONSTELLATIONS (October 22, 2016)

In this new version of Constellations, I added a lot of new stuff. Most notably, CRP support and ResearchBodies support. ResearchBodies doesn't currently work with KSP 1.2, so keep that in mind. Here is a full list of what has been added in version 1.2.0 of Constellations:

• ResearchBodies support
  • CRP support
  • Finalized science multipliers
  • Improved Tau Ceti d texture
  • Tweaked atmospheres
  • Corrected declinations and right ascensions of stars
  • Hid orbits of stars (you can now only see the icon for them)
  • Tweaked mass and size of Tau Ceti e and f

18 minutes ago, EnriqueB said:

Why not add the Kepler-62 system with Kepler-62e as an Earth-Like world full of life?

Unfortunately, Kepler-62 is so far away that it causes sooo many problems when you zoom out. The max distance the stars can go is 500 ly. Anything farther, and the kraken is summoned.

UPDATE FOR CONSTELLATIONS (October 29, 2016)

In this new version of Constellations, there are lots of new stars. I have added all major stars that form Ursa Major. That means there are literally dozens of new stars to explore. Hurray! Here's a list of what has been added:

• Re-corrected stellar declinations
  • Redid star descriptions
  • Tweaked star SOIs
  • Added all major stars in Ursa Major

Here's a screenshot to give you an idea on how many stars have been added:

SCyOdbt.png

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:17 PM, EnriqueB said:

Let's put it in a orbit that will be only 350ly of travel.

Well I'd like to place the stars at distances that are to scale. So far, I've divided all of the star distances by 10. Meaning, an object 1,200 ly away (like Kepler-62e) would be 120 ly away. However, KSP can only really handle objects that are less than 50 ly away, that's why I gave you the 500 ly number. That being said, I don't want to use some arbitrary number for the distance between Kepler-62 and the Sun. I want everything to be to scale.

7 minutes ago, EnriqueB said:

Ok, let's do it, for the next release

That would be............... 35 ly of distance.

No. Kepler-62 is 1,200 ly away, so it would be 120 ly, which is too far.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

I don't quite understand. What's the point of releasing Constellations for KSP 1.2.x, if there is yet no sight of RSS for KSP 1.2.x on the horizon?

RSS still functions properly in 1.2 for me, so that's why I have it like that. Is RSS not working for others in 1.2? If so, I'll change what version this mod is compatible with. 

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, SebastianPahlsson said:

Please change it so it´s for ksp version 1.1.3

Okay, although Constellations is working for me with 1.2, multiple people want me to do this, so I will.

Right now working on a texture overhaul for this mod. Here's a little teaser for how the carbon planet, Wolf 1061 b, will look like in the upcoming version

6GK9s1W.png

Huge improvement from how it looks like currently, right?

UPDATE FOR CONSTELLATIONS (December 2, 2016)

I am so excited to release this new version of Constellations which, of many things, overhauls all of the textures for all terrestrial bodies that my mod adds. I spent practically the entirety of November working on these textures and messing about with them, so I hope you guys think they are a lot better than what they were before. Here is the full change log:

• Texture overhaul for all terrestrial planets
  • Tweaked atmospheres in Wolf 1061 System
  • Tweaked oceans
  • Added star Sirius
  • Added star Vega
  • Tweaked atmospheres

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice mod, although I will have to uninstall it and install it a few weeks later as I started a new career with this mod from the beginning and just after I completed the first orbit contract I got a "exploration" contract (non declinable) that asked for a flyby of Mizar and the reward was like 20k :D, did I miss something or this is intended to be installed on a lategame career?

7 hours ago, kR105 said:

Nice mod, although I will have to uninstall it and install it a few weeks later as I started a new career with this mod from the beginning and just after I completed the first orbit contract I got a "exploration" contract (non declinable) that asked for a flyby of Mizar and the reward was like 20k :D, did I miss something or this is intended to be installed on a lategame career?

Haha yeah I know you'll probably want to install it on a lategame career save like you said. I'll probably fix that issue in the next update or two. However, my computer is having some problems at the moment, so you might have to wait a little for that to be solved (by then you'd probably be able to complete that contract).