On 11/4/2017 at 4:50 PM, logan2611 said:

Hey so I know RSS isn't updated to 1.3(and it probably won't for a really long time) but I am using Constellations and Earth is always full bright? Is there a way to fix this in the meantime?

https://imgur.com/EFwjV0E

That's easy enough to fix. I'm running KSP 1.3 with RSS.

After installing Constellations, Earth was very bright (just like in your image) and so were most of the other stars and planets (both RSS and Constellations objects).

What I have done, is go into the various config files in Constellations that specify Sun brightness. Look for these entries (values differ depending on star):

sunlightIntensity = 0.09
scaledSunlightIntensity = 0.09    
IVASunIntensity = 0.09

Reduce those values by a factor of 100. For example, if the value is 0.09, change it to 0.009.

After doing that to all the Constellations configs (19 of them in my case), everything looks they way it should (beautiful). Earth is back to normal brightness, as are all the other planets and stars.

Cheers.

Note: I did not use the Constellations visual files for RSSVE because I didn't want to mess with something that was already working perfectly in my install.

However, I did use the provided visual CVO files. Those are needed for clouds on the Constellations planets.

Edited by Observe

49 minutes ago, Observe said:

That's easy enough to fix. I'm running KSP 1.3 with RSS.

After installing Constellations, Earth was very bright (just like in your image) and so were most of the other stars and planets (both RSS and Constellations objects).

What I have done, is go into the various config files in Constellations that specify Sun brightness. Look for these entries (values differ depending on star):

Reduce those values by a factor of 100. For example, if the value is 0.09, change it to 0.009.

After doing that to all the Constellations configs (19 of them in my case), everything looks they way it should (beautiful). Earth is back to normal brightness, as are all the other planets and stars.

Cheers.

Note: I did not use the Constellations visual files for RSSVE because I didn't want to mess with something that was already working perfectly in my install.

However, I did use the provided visual CVO files. Those are needed for clouds on the Constellations planets.

I would not recommend doing this. The reason that the planets are really bright is because Kopernicus changed the way that the intensity of stellar light works. Instead of a single value, it was changed to be a curve, so that planets would be dimmer further away. If you do what you just did, the exoplanets added by Constellations will receive no, or very little light from their star.

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I would not recommend doing this. The reason that the planets are really bright is because Kopernicus changed the way that the intensity of stellar light works. Instead of a single value, it was changed to be a curve, so that planets would be dimmer further away. If you do what you just did, the exoplanets added by Constellations will receive no, or very little light from their star.

That's what I would have thought too - except from what I've seen, all the Constellations exoplanets look "normal". Admittedly, I've never used Constellations before and so I'm not acquainted with all the various planets. Is there a particular planet that you could point me to, so I can check it and post a screenshot of it to determine if it suffers as you suggest?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Observe said:

That's what I would have thought too - except from what I've seen, all the Constellations exoplanets look "normal". Admittedly, I've never used Constellations before and so I'm not acquainted with all the various planets. Is there a particular planet that you could point me to, so I can check it and post a screenshot of it to determine if it suffers as you suggest?

Thanks.

Take a screenshot of Proxima Centauri b for me. That's strange that they don't look dark to you.

10 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Take a screenshot of Proxima Centauri b for me. That's strange that they don't look dark to you.

Here is Proxima Centauri b using KSP 1.3 with the adjusted configs:
screenshot64.jpg

Edited by Observe

2 minutes ago, Observe said:

Here is Proxima Centauri b using KSP 1.3 with the adjusted configs:
screenshot64.jpg

That's actually a lot brighter than it's supposed to be. Dang. Those planets look a lot worse without Scatterer lol.

3 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

That's actually a lot brighter than it's supposed to be. Dang. Those planets look a lot worse without Scatterer lol.

Not as bright as before reducing those values! Here is a comparison shot of Proxima Centauri b using the original Constellations configs. All the other planets (including Earth etc) are likewise too bright as  @logan2611 pointed out earlier.

screenshot65.jpg

Scatterer works perfectly on the RSS/RSSVE planets. I'm not sure why it isn't working on Constellations bodies. Should be a minor config patch I expect.

2 minutes ago, Observe said:

Not as bright as before reducing those values! Here is a comparison shot of Proxima Centauri b using the original Constellations configs. All the other planets (including Earth etc) are likewise too bright as  @logan2611 pointed out earlier.

screenshot65.jpg

Scatterer works perfectly on the RSS/RSSVE planets. I'm not sure why it isn't working on Constellations bodies. Should be a minor config patch I expect.

You're saying RSSVE work in 1.3.1? I thought a lot of people tried to use RSSVE in 1.3.1, but it didn't work. My suggestion is to not mess around with trying to get Constellations to work with 1.3.1.

Either way, neither RSSVE nor RSS have been officially updated to 1.3.1. As I've said previously, Constellations will not be updated to 1.3.1 until both of those mods are updated to 1.3.1 as well.

2 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

You're saying RSSVE work in 1.3.1? I thought a lot of people tried to use RSSVE in 1.3.1, but it didn't work. My suggestion is to not mess around with trying to get Constellations to work with 1.3.1.

Either way, neither RSSVE nor RSS have been officially updated to 1.3.1. As I've said previously, Constellations will not be updated to 1.3.1 until both of those mods are updated to 1.3.1 as well.

My BAD! I'm using KSP 1.30. Sorry!

In any case, RSSVE does work with 1.30 (they made a patch as I recall). I'm hazarding a guess that many/most players who use mods, have not updated to 1.31. As such, it appears that Constellations works fine with 1.30; which the exception of too bright objects and scatterer not working on Constellation bodies only.

Thanks.

My BAD! I'm using KSP 1.30. Sorry!

In any case, RSSVE does work with 1.30 (they made a patch as I recall). I'm hazarding a guess that many/most players who use mods, have not updated to 1.31. As such, it appears that Constellations works fine with 1.30; which the exception of too bright objects and scatterer not working on Constellation bodies only.

Thanks.

Wait, aren't you thinking of RSS and not RSSVE? Unless I'm just stupid, I didn't think there was a patch for RSSVE for 1.3

1 minute ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Wait, aren't you thinking of RSS and not RSSVE? Unless I'm just stupid, I didn't think there was a patch for RSSVE for 1.3

You are right. It was RSS that a patch was made. So many mods and so many versions!

So yeah, if I can get Constellations working with Scatterer (as it is with RSS bodies), all will be running fine with KSP 1.30/RSS/RSSVE/Scatterer 0.0320b.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Notice KSP Interstellar Extended now has a new tool, the Bussard Ramjet Magnetic scoop and Fusion Engine. The combination of this high tech tool allows you to do a grand tour of the universe as it can feed fuel and propellant from either the interstellar medium,  any atmosphere or from the local star. Besides for resource collection, perhaps it the true strength it that it effectively allows any interstellar vessel to use it as break as the generated drag is the square of the velocity, effectively slicing deltaV requirements in half, protecting it crew from interstellar radiation and not having to turn the ship around at relativistic speed  to slow down.

2LfK9fy.png

Edited by FreeThinker

Just so you know, as far as I can tell, everything is working fine with KSP 1.3.

As mentioned previously by @logan2611 and also I noticed, initial install has sunlight intensity extremely "neon" bright. Even the dark sides of planets were...not dark.

After adjusting intensity values, and properly merging the various scatterer files I have things looking normal. I also adjusted the lens flare intensities and positioning, because I personally don't like the huge "ghost" flares creating false suns and spreading out too far.

Anyway, I am satisfied. Here are how things are looking after adjustments:

screenshot97.jpgSeaBase in Pacific ocean

screenshot98.jpgProxima Centauri b

screenshot99.jpgKepler-1229b

Considering Constellations "out of the box" doesn't work properly on KSP 1.3 without adjustments, it seems like it might be worthwhile releasing a 1.3 version.

Thanks for a great mod!

Edited by Observe

Just so you know, as far as I can tell, everything is working fine with KSP 1.3.

As mentioned previously by @logan2611 and also I noticed, initial install has sunlight intensity extremely "neon" bright. Even the dark sides of planets were...not dark.

After adjusting intensity values, and properly merging the various scatterer files I have things looking normal. I also adjusted the lens flare intensities and positioning, because I personally don't like the huge "ghost" flares creating false suns and spreading out too far.

Anyway, I am satisfied. Here are how things are looking after adjustments:

screenshot97.jpgSeaBase in Pacific ocean

screenshot98.jpgProxima Centauri b

screenshot99.jpgKepler-1229b

Considering Constellations doesn't work properly on KSP 1.3 without adjustments, it seems like it might be worthwhile releasing a 1.3 version.

Thanks for a great mod!

The adjustments you made did not fix the problem. I don't know if you can tell this, but the lighting on both of those planets you took a screenshot of is very messed up. This is because Kopernicus changed the way it handles lighting after KSP 1.3 was released. So no, Constellations can not and should not be modified to "work" with 1.3.1, because there were significant changes to Kopernicus following the release of 1.3 and 1.3.1. I'd suggest you stop persisting that Constellations as it is now can work with 1.3.1 as it absolutely can't.

1 minute ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

So no, Constellations can not and should not be modified to "work" with 1.3.1, because there were significant changes to Kopernicus following the release of 1.3 and 1.3.1. I'd suggest you stop persisting that Constellations as it is now can work with 1.3.1 as it absolutely can't.

Please understand, I am in no way trying to be argumentative. To the contrary.

I am not suggesting using with 1.3.1, but rather 1.3.0.

The big question I have, is if RSS/RSSVE works with 1.3.0 (which it does and is known to to so), what is so different about Constellations that precludes it also from doing so?

From what I can tell, the lighting is less "messed up" with changes to lighting. Certainly, it seems very playable unless I'm missing something else?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Observe said:

Please understand, I am in no way trying to be argumentative. To the contrary.

I am not suggesting using with 1.3.1, but rather 1.3.0.

The big question I have, is if RSS/RSSVE works with 1.3.0 (which it does and is known to to so), what is so different about Constellations that precludes it also from doing so?

From what I can tell, the lighting is less "messed up" with changes to lighting. Certainly, it seems very playable unless I'm missing something else?

Thanks.

1.3.1, 1.3.0, they're both practically the same thing.

Your premise is false. RSSVE does not work with 1.3.0, and is not known to do so. RSS works with 1.3.0, but only by using an unofficial patch. Even if someone created a patch to make RSSVE work with 1.3.0, I still wouldn't update Constellations to work with KSP 1.3. Why? Because I only care about the official versions of those two mods. I don't want people coming to me complaining about issues caused by unofficial versions of mods. I'm sorry if I'm getting a little impatient :wink:

8 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

1.3.1, 1.3.0, they're both practically the same thing.

Your premise is false. RSSVE does not work with 1.3.0, and is not known to do so. RSS works with 1.3.0, but only by using an unofficial patch. Even if someone created a patch to make RSSVE work with 1.3.0, I still wouldn't update Constellations to work with KSP 1.3. Why? Because I only care about the official versions of those two mods. I don't want people coming to me complaining about issues caused by unofficial versions of mods. I'm sorry if I'm getting a little impatient :wink:

Dont wont to make you more angry.

Why is RSSVE not working with 1.3.0? I have a 1.3.0 install with

RSS with the test dll. https://github.com/PhineasFreak/DocBin/blob/master/DocBin/dll_files/RealSolarSystem.dll

RSSVE with the 1.3 Branch https://github.com/PhineasFreak/RSSVE/tree/KSP-1.3-Update

EVE  1.2.2.1 and Scatterer 0.0320b

didnt notice any major bugs so far. The planets have clouds and looking visual pleasing and my kerbals having a blast.

3 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

Dont wont to make you more angry.

I'm not angry, I'm just getting a little impatient that I have to answer the same question several times over.

I understand that people have been able to get RSSVE and RSS to work with 1.3. And maybe there are no bugs when you do this. However, as I've said before, there are no official releases for either of those mods that supports 1.3 or 1.3.1. I don't want to run the risk of people having problems with unofficial versions of mods, thinking it's a problem with Constellations. When RSSVE and RSS are officially updated to 1.3.1, Constellations will be very quickly updated to 1.3.1 as well.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

4 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I'm not angry, I'm just getting a little impatient that I have to answer the same question several times over.

I assume you mod the game because you like doing so. Part of your enjoyment, is seeing others take pleasure in your work. It takes a community of modders and players for this to work.

While you may be justifiably impatient, it is not good to treat players with disdain who are trying to weave their way through the labyrinth of getting mods to play well together. Remember, modders need players as much as players need them. It's a two-way street.

I understand your frustration and also your reasoning for not updating Constellations so that it can run with 1.30. At the same time, please understand the frustration of players (like me) who love RSS/RSSVE and who would love to play with Constellations.

The situation is particularly depressing, because a "lot" of people are in fact running RSS/RSSVE with no significant problems at all and it seems that Constellations could likewise run fine with a few config changes to bring into compatibility with whatever version of Kopernicus/Scatterer that RSS/RSSVE are using with success for 1.30.

Considering you have made it very clear that you may not be updating this mod for 1.30 any time soon, do you have any general suggestions about what needs to be changed, so that individual players can have a go at it?

I understand Kopernicus changed some of its naming conventions. I've made those and other changes that I am aware of, to your configs. As you can see from my pics, things are looking much better than before (no super bright neon planets).

To me, Constellations is sufficiently playable for an enjoyable experience, even though you say it looks "messed up". If it is messed up, could you point out how so? Or, would you prefer everyone just shut up and leave you alone?

If maintaining this mod is no longer enjoyable for you, then perhaps you should step away from it for your own peace of mind? No one could blame you if that is best for you. In my own case, I was once a fairly major modder with a different game, and I too walked away after several years, because of some of the issues you are facing.

Thanks.

Edited by Observe

47 minutes ago, Observe said:

While you may be justifiably impatient, it is not good to treat players with disdain who are trying to weave their way through the labyrinth of getting mods to play well together. Remember, modders need players as much as players need them. It's a two-way street.

Look at this from my point of view. I have two rather big mods rights now: Constellations and Extrasolar. Updating and managing both of these mods is extremely time consuming. So when people get impatient wanting Constellations to be updated to 1.3, saying that with a few changes Constellations is supposedly compatible with 1.3, it becomes annoying. Especially since I know with 100% certainty that Constellations, right now, is absolutely incompatible with 1.3, even if RSSVE and RSS both work with 1.3. As I've repeated many times over, Kopernicus has completely redone the way that starlight works, so I need to update that before Constellations will work 1.3 or 1.3.1. Its much more than a few configs that need to be changed. The number one rule of being on the KSP forums is that you never bother people about updating a mod. Modders are at no obligation to update their mod(s).

I understand your frustration and also your reasoning for not updating Constellations so that it can run with 1.30. At the same time, please understand the frustration of players (like me) who love RSS/RSSVE and who would love to play with Constellations.

Look, the entire point of me modding KSP is to add something to this community, and make people have a bit of fun with my mods. Do not get the impression that I do not care or have no sympathy for players who want to play Constellations in 1.3. I want Constellations to work with 1.3 just as much as anyone else, and I'll be excited to update it when I can do so.

Constellations could likewise run fine with a few config changes to bring into compatibility with whatever version of Kopernicus/Scatterer that RSS/RSSVE are using with success for 1.30.

This is just not true. There are quite of few stars in Constellations and I'll have to add the new light intensity curves to every single one of them.

Considering you have made it very clear that you may not be updating this mod for 1.30 any time soon, do you have any general suggestions about what needs to be changed, so that individual players can have a go at it?

Not at the moment. Like I've said, I'll have to change a lot of configs and its going to be time consuming/confusing for anyone who wants to do it themselves. My best recommendation, honestly, is to wait.

To me, Constellations is sufficiently playable for an enjoyable experience, even though you say it looks "messed up". If it is messed up, could you point out how so?

Your first picture looks perfectly fine, as it's not a screenshot of any of Constellation's planets. The second picture you can see that its messed up. The scaledspace in the southern hemisphere of Proxima Centauri isn't getting lit up. You can see how the terrain looks much darker in the southern hemisphere than the northern hemisphere. The third picture is especially messed up. I looks like its supposed to be a screenshot of the dark side of Kepler-1229 b, but the clouds are lit up on the dark side. The terrain on the dark side is also lit up just a bit.

Or, would you prefer everyone just shut up and leave you alone?

I do not appreciate that. That was an extremely unnecessary comment.

Look, I think both of us would be pretty much in agreement that this conversation could've gone better. My suggestion is that you avoid asking modders about when an update is coming out or anything to that effect. That tends to annoy modders extremely quickly.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

• 1 month later...

I plan on restarting this mod on a clean slate, with a new thread, a new name (again), etc. I think I just created this mod in the wrong manner and I feel as though I need to start fresh. Don't worry, Constellations will not die!

@Dman979 Could you lock this thread?

Thread locked at OP request.

For reference, guys, it's better to report your thread you want closed than to ping a single moderator. It took me 7 hours to see this, but reporting means that any moderator can help you, which means a quicker response time. :)