9 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Drew Ex Machina's Habitable Planet Reality Check: Update on Kepler’s K2-72

From now, i decided to took the job of sharing exoplanet analysis news.

Dressing et al......you disappoint me.

Spoiler

Seriously, they just HAD to ruin what looked like a scaled-up red dwarf version of the inner Kerbol system. Those monsters!

*insert angry Wookie noises*

Oh how convenient. For some reason Windows is getting mad at me for trying to mess with the GameData folder, preventing me from adding or changing anything in the GameData folder. @ProtoJeb21, weren't you having the same problem? Do you know if anyone has found a solution?

Looks like TRAPPIST-1 and Kepler-452 are going to be delayed even more ;.; .

2 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@ProtoJeb21, weren't you having the same problem? Do you know if anyone has found a solution?

Yeah, I do. @sal_vager gave some ways to fix it. I've tried the first one, which was to close background windows, but that didn't work. Next I'm going to attempt a reboot/restart of the computer and see if that helps.

EDIT: Here's his reply: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/153551-protojeb21/&status=4316&type=status

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Just now, ProtoJeb21 said:

Yeah, I do. @sal_vager gave some ways to fix it. I've tried the first one, which was to close background windows, but that didn't work. Next I'm going to attempt a reboot/restart of the computer and see if that helps.

It was actually after restarting my computer that I started seeing this problem. There wasn't a windows update or anything like that. Weird.

Just now, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

It was actually after restarting my computer that I started seeing this problem. There wasn't a windows update or anything like that. Weird.

Same with me. It's incredibly agitating when you're trying to shut down the computer quickly and you hit "Restart" and have to wait a good three minutes before being able to shut it down.

Maybe restarting again should revert the issue? The bug only popped up after my SECOND accidental restart. A third could make things normal again. I'll let you know if this works.

22 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

20 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Same with me. It's incredibly agitating when you're trying to shut down the computer quickly and you hit "Restart" and have to wait a good three minutes before being able to shut it down.

Maybe restarting again should revert the issue? The bug only popped up after my SECOND accidental restart. A third could make things normal again. I'll let you know if this works.

Are you two using ckan by any chance?

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

No. I'm just using files and folders that I've created on my own computer.

Can you open a tech support issue with your dxdiag, logs, mods, Steam client version, anti-virus program and info on these files and folders you created please.

25 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Are you two using ckan by any chance?

Nope, not using ckan either.

12 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Can you open a tech support issue with your dxdiag, logs, mods, Steam client version, anti-virus program and info on these files and folders you created please.

Yeah sure I can do that. Let me just get all of that information and I'll open up a tech support issue.

Don't worry, I haven't been slacking off! Version 2.0 will come out tomorrow probably, if not, today! Here's some screenshots of the new planets being added:

Kepler-1229b:

vJzoMgp.png

TRAPPIST-1g AKA Jool:

ReDZAem.png

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

There's far more chance that 1g will be a rocky/water planet. Don't follow the artist concept. Look at the TTV-derived density.

In the other hand, 452b is very likely to be gaseous mini-Neptune with horrible atmospheric pressure (thousands of atm) at the 'surface'.

AKA, I advice you to swap the planets' textures. If 1f is ever to be implemented, make it a waterworld or gaseous planet due to its apparent low density.

The current model of a planetary transition stated that beginning from 1.2 Earth radii, planets will start to change into mini-neptune, and at 1.6 planets are more likely to be mini-neptune than supar-earth. Since 1g is barely any larger than Earth, it is very likely to be rocky/waterworld. 452b, however, is a poor candidate and is more likely a mini-neptune.

Kepler-452b Revisited and TRAPPIST-1 System

Also, more planet news: Luyten's Star and Lalnde 21185

Edited by Hypercosmic

54 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

There's far more chance that 1g will be a rocky/water planet. Don't follow the artist concept. Look at the TTV-derived density.

In the other hand, 452b is very likely to be gaseous mini-Neptune with horrible atmospheric pressure (thousands of atm) at the 'surface'.

AKA, I advice you to swap the planets' textures. If 1f is ever to be implemented, make it a waterworld or gaseous planet due to its apparent low density.

The current model of a planetary transition stated that beginning from 1.2 Earth radii, planets will start to change into mini-neptune, and at 1.6 planets are more likely to be mini-neptune than supar-earth. Since 1g is barely any larger than Earth, it is very likely to be rocky/waterworld. 452b, however, is a poor candidate and is more likely a mini-neptune.

Kepler-452b Revisited and TRAPPIST-1 System

Also, more planet news: Luyten's Star and Lalnde 21185

Yeah I do have 1g as a water world. I just kept the green atmosphere so it still looks somewhat similar to Jool.

As for Kepler-452b, I guess it's best the change the planet... again. Which planet should I do instead? Kepler-442b? Kepler-1229b?

It's funny, about two years ago I decided to have a little fun and create a fictional earth-like planet orbiting around a red dwarf star. I just randomly chose Lalande 21185 as the host star after searching up a list of red dwarf stars. There was no reason why I chose it. And low and behold, we find an earth-like planet orbiting around Lalande 21185 two years later. Am I not a prophet?

8 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah I do have 1g as a water world. I just kept the green atmosphere so it still looks somewhat similar to Jool.

As for Kepler-452b, I guess it's best the change the planet... again. Which planet should I do instead? Kepler-442b? Kepler-1229b?

It's funny, about two years ago I decided to have a little fun and create a fictional earth-like planet orbiting around a red dwarf star. I just randomly chose Lalande 21185 as the host star after searching up a list of red dwarf stars. There was no reason why I chose it. And low and behold, we find an earth-like planet orbiting around Lalande 21185 two years later. Am I not a prophet?

KP-442b! It's our best candidate for a superhabitable planet!!! Make it a tropical planet with resorts extremely diverse biosphere!

Also, KP-186f and KP-62e/f sisters. I guess they are on the line, right?

On the other note, I went to deviantart and I find it... very scary...

Edited by Hypercosmic

10 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

KP-442b! It's our best candidate for a superhabitable planet!!! Make it a tropical planet with resorts extremely diverse biosphere!

Also, KP-186f and KP-62e/f sisters. I guess they are on the line, right?

On the other note, I went to deviantart and I find it... very scary...

Kepler-442b it is then! I'm just going to use the texture that I originally intended for GJ 667Cc and later Kepler-452. I might tweak the texture later to look more... lush.

33 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Kepler-442b it is then! I'm just going to use the texture that I originally intended for GJ 667Cc and later Kepler-452. I might tweak the texture later to look more... lush.

Tropical green! With thick oxygenated (~30%) atmosphere!

Centauri Dreams' article on Superhabitable Planets

Wikipedia 'Superhabitable planet'

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Time for some habitability analysis!

KEPLER-442B: The orbit of this planet is not a problem to habitability. However, how much rock and water is in the planet is a mystery. The parent star has just 42% the metallicity of our Sun, yet Kepler-442b is likely to have formed in the region we find it in now. So....what is it? My best guess is that it has a similar rock-water ratio as Earth, meaning that it could look quite similar. Planet tectonics are likely due to its larger size, which is around 1.34 Earth radii. But there are error ranges for the planet's radius, and averaging them out leads to a radius of 1.27 Earths. For a rock-dominated composition with about 15% iron, the planet's mass would be between 2.2 and 2.8 Earth masses (the lower mass is for the lower radius, and vice-versa). This would lead to a density of about 6.19-6.42 g/cm^3 and a gravitational pull of 1.426 to 1.56 gees. Therefore, walking on this planet shouldn't be too hard if the atmosphere is similar in pressure to that of Earth. I would expect it to form with an atmosphere rich in water vapor, nitrogen, methane, and carbon dioxide - similar to what Earth may have started out with. If plant life were to evolve, it would be a darker green or (possibly) a light blue to deal with less light than Earth plants get. They could populate the atmosphere with more oxygen, maybe similar amounts as that on our own planet. Overall, I'd rate Kepler-442b as a larger (and darker, and bluer) Earth twin!

KEPLER-62 PLANETS: I'm just doing these since @Hypercosmic mentioned them...so you don't have to put them in if you don't want to, but here are some ideas...

The two habitable zone planets here have formed with conditions similar to that of Kepler-442b. Their stars are nearly identical (including metal content as well), and the 62 twins are only a bit larger than 442b, with 1.41 (f) and 1.61 (e) Earth radii. However, as these two worlds are closer to the 1.6 R_e limit for transitioning to a mini-Neptune, things will look differently. I expect Kepler-62e to retain quite a lot of water, and with a higher energy flux than Earth, a good amount will become steam. But water vapor clouds are quite reflective, so once they start massing in the upper atmosphere, any greenhouse effect could halt right there. Kepler-62e could have a thick atmosphere (5-100 atm's of pressure) composed mainly of water vapor and methane, with smaller amounts of argon, nitrogen, and hydrogen. I highly doubt any land will show on this world, except for teeny-tiny ice caps at the poles.

Kepler-62f is more promising, even though it looks likely to also have retained quite a lot of water. However, volcanic activity on this planet could've produced a thick atmosphere (5-10 atm) with large amounts of CO2 and CH4, raising the temperature from 202*K to something more comfortable like 270*K. Land may only cover about 10-30% of the planet, and half of it may be coated in ice. The rest could be covered in plant life, which will be more of a blue color to help absorb the rather little amount of light that reaches the surface. If it has a rocky composition, Kepler-62f would have about 3.3 times the mass of Earth, a density of 6.49 g/cm^3, and 1.66 gees of gravity. Meanwhile, its oceanic twin Kepler-62e would probably have about 4.2 Earth masses, 5.55 g/cm^3, and 1.62 gees.

AAARRRGHHH!!! Kepler-442 is too far away that it causes spontaneous Kraken summoning! I was really happy about Kepler-442b, but instead I'll have to settle with Kepler-1229b. @Hypercosmic, do you have any better suggestions?

24 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

AAARRRGHHH!!! Kepler-442 is too far away that it causes spontaneous Kraken summoning! I was really happy about Kepler-442b, but instead I'll have to settle with Kepler-1229b. @Hypercosmic, do you have any better suggestions?

If KP-442 (1,120 ly) cause Krakens, then KP-62 (1,200 ly) shouldn't survive. KP-1229 (770 ly), from our current data, isn't a bad candidate for habitability. In fact, it is one of the most promising habitable planets on Drew Ex Machina page. It is similar in size and flux as KP-62f, and could be its analog in this system.

KP-186f is more promising, being below the start-of-the-transition 1.2 Re limit. It is likely to be a cold desert with some lakes, or even seas.

2 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

If KP-442 (1,120 ly) cause Krakens, then KP-62 (1,200 ly) shouldn't survive. KP-1229 (770 ly), from our current data, isn't a bad candidate for habitability. In fact, it is one of the most promising habitable planets on Drew Ex Machina page. It is similar in size and flux as KP-62f, and could be its analog in this system.

KP-186f is more promising, being below the start-of-the-transition 1.2 Re limit. It is likely to be a cold desert with some lakes, or even seas.

Okay Kepler-1229 it is. Hopefully this is the last time I have to switch this planet's name!

Unfortunately the release date for version 2.0 will have to be pushed to today or tomorrow rather than the planned release date of yesterday. There are some unforeseen issues arising and I have no idea where they are coming from.

15 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

How about changing the stellar distances to 1/50th or 1/100th real-scale? That could bring systems like Kepler-442 and Kepler-62 close enough to avoid Kraken attacks.

12 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

How about changing the stellar distances to 1/50th or 1/100th real-scale? That could bring systems like Kepler-442 and Kepler-62 close enough to avoid Kraken attacks.

Isn't that a little too small of scale? I still want it to be extremely difficult just to get to Proxima Centauri. I think if I made it 1/50 or 1/100 scale, it would make it too easy to get to Proxima Centauri. It fact, I think you could probably use an ion drive to get to Proxima at that scale! If you are patient of course.

44 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Isn't that a little too small of scale? I still want it to be extremely difficult just to get to Proxima Centauri. I think if I made it 1/50 or 1/100 scale, it would make it too easy to get to Proxima Centauri. It fact, I think you could probably use an ion drive to get to Proxima at that scale! If you are patient of course.

I don't think so. Proxima at 1/50th real-scale distance would still be 7.992e+11 (79 billion) kilometers. That's still pretty far. For a star like Kepler-442, it would be about 212 TRILLION kilometers distant.

12 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I don't think so. Proxima at 1/50th real-scale distance would still be 7.992e+11 (79 billion) kilometers. That's still pretty far. For a star like Kepler-442, it would be about 212 TRILLION kilometers distant.

79 billion km is only 528 AU though. That is not very far (relatively).