Mk1A Command Pod

JEF_300

I mentioned this in another thread I started, but I really wanted to push this idea, since it has grown on me a lot

Has it ever seemed weird to anyone else that if I want to send 1 Kerbal to Moho and back (depending on your specific mission architecture) the love-able breadbox with a paint job that doesn't match anything else in the game and a window smaller than -insert your own jokes here- known as the Mk1 Command Pod is the best option? I love the thing, but let's be honest: it's not pretty, it's not got a cool IVA, and it breaks my immersion (hoorah buzz words!)

So I have come to request the creation of a new-    no, RE-creation of the Mk1 Command Pod. As a mod, we can surely rebuild it, better, stronger, faster. Or at least prettier, which is of course what actually matters.

My idea was fairly simple: Leave the general dimensions the same, give the pod an even white paint job like the Mk1-2 and Mk1 Cockpit, and replace the window with one in the Gemini style (aka, inset and forward facing). Then add a matching IVA that's actually full like every IVA EXCEPT the Mk1 Command Pod's, add it as a new part called the Mk1A (for Advanced), and Viola!

Now I say that like it's simple, however I am wholly incapable of doing any of that, and don't have the time to learn. That's why I'm making the request

If ANYONE with the skill to make a model/texture/IVA/drag-all-that-together-in-code has an interest in the idea, please do give it a try, because I'd love to use one of these. Can you imagine flying a little cargo tug up to a station with your one Kerbal staring out at it in that IVA? Would be way more immersive and aesthetic (ooh, more buzz words!)

I've always wanted the Mk1 pod to better match with the other parts. Honestly, as soon as you get past mercury days there isn't much purpose for the black textures. The Mk1 lander can also needs a little love IMO.

1 hour ago, SpaceMouse said:

Pretty sure there's a mod floating around that's pretty close to the gemini capsule. ..

50 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

There are several Commands Pods mods made. Please create something creative that hasn't been done several times before.

Can you please post some links to some if you can find them? Thanks!

The Raddish command pod here bears a resemblance to the Gemini, although I can't say for sure if it draws its inspiration directly from it.
OPT spaceplane has some seriously cool SSTO command pods.

I like Nerta's Near Future spacecraft pods. Propulsion and the other ones are pretty amazing too.

Edited by SpaceMouse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.