I don't have log files, and I'm not willing to play 200+ hours on my unmodded install to wait for itself to reproduce it, so I'm not posting this under bugs, but as a warning to my fellow kerbonauts.

Recently I got a contract to move a satellite into a different orbit. They're usually juicy contracts so as long as you have the DV well worth accepting. So I did. Moved the satellite to a new orbit and... nothing. Of course you start looking at the usual suspects; retrograde, tolerances not narrow enough, etc. Spent a good amount of time really nailing the orbit. Still nothing.

Wait... there's a part requirement? My satellite is missing a part that wasn't included in the original contract, but the move satellite to new orbit contract requested it (if I remember correctly, a goo container). So apparently this can happen. Lesson learned: when accepting a contract to move a satellite into a new orbit, make sure you have all the required parts on board. Just because it's a contract based on an existing satellite doesn't mean you do.

One would think a "move existing satellite" contract would have the existing satellite in question be enough to fulfill that part of the contract.  

Perhaps an "Update Existing Satellite" contract type could be made, checking first for a docking port on the existing satellite or if the claw thing has been unlocked.  

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Wait... there's a part requirement? My satellite is missing a part that wasn't included in the original contract, but the move satellite to new orbit contract requested it (if I remember correctly, a goo container). So apparently this can happen. Lesson learned: when accepting a contract to move a satellite into a new orbit, make sure you have all the required parts on board. Just because it's a contract based on an existing satellite doesn't mean you do.

lol, I can see how that would be frustrating.  :)

Have you reported a bug?

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

My satellite is missing a part that wasn't included in the original contract, but the move satellite to new orbit contract requested it (if I remember correctly, a goo container).

Wow, that's ... bad.  No check for a docking port?  How many people put docking ports on contract satellites?  I know I wouldn't, cheap as possible...

Edited by regex

1 hour ago, Snark said:

lol, I can see how that would be frustrating.  :)

Have you reported a bug?

Don't bug reports require log files and unmodded versions? I have neither; first of all I have no clue where in a log file this shows up (it's a logical error, not a run time error), and second of all it wasn't an unmodded version (although I have no contract mods running). So I'm not sure if a report in the style of "hey this just happened to me, y'all should take a look at it" would be a valid bug report.

Contextual satellite contracts do not process side requests. (No extra parts, resources, or crew.) If you upload the save somewhere, I can take a look at what's going on. If it's a larger satellite, it might qualify as a station, in which case you might be seeing a contextual station contract.

2 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

Contextual satellite contracts do not process side requests. (No extra parts, resources, or crew.) If you upload the save somewhere, I can take a look at what's going on. If it's a larger satellite, it might qualify as a station, in which case you might be seeing a contextual station contract.

Thanks for looking in to that. Since I force-accepted the contract (Alt+F12) would it still show up in the save file (apparently I have 212 contracts finished as of now)? I can search the save file and figure out the contract ID myself, probably, to save you some work. Am I 100% sure that it was a satellite and not a station? No, but then again I don't recall seeing contracts for stations for changing orbits either.

Just now, Kerbart said:

Thanks for looking in to that. Since I force-accepted the contract (Alt+F12) would it still show up in the save file (apparently I have 212 contracts finished as of now)? I can search the save file and figure out the contract ID myself, probably, to save you some work. Am I 100% sure that it was a satellite and not a station? No, but then again I don't recall seeing contracts for stations for changing orbits either.

Yeah, if you upload the save I can check it out, you can private message it to me if you don't want it publicly available. All active and completed contracts remain in the save file, and I imagine this one is still active. I can check exactly what type of contract it is, and what contextual placement modes it is attempting to utilize.

2 hours ago, regex said:

Wow, that's ... bad.  No check for a docking port?  How many people put docking ports on contract satellites?  I know I wouldn't, cheap as possible...

you can just put the satelite in a cargo bay

3 hours ago, Arsonide said:

Yeah, if you upload the save I can check it out, you can private message it to me if you don't want it publicly available. All active and completed contracts remain in the save file, and I imagine this one is still active. I can check exactly what type of contract it is, and what contextual placement modes it is attempting to utilize.

Well, it's kinda "complete" now, I hope that's not a problem. Once I get home and have access to the save file I'll send it to you (or post it here, I have nothing to hide!) And I'll figure out which contract it was, as to not to waste your time.

2 hours ago, KSP Bros said:

you can just put the satelite in a cargo bay

That's an original solution. Thanks for thinking about that. Sadly I don't have SSTO's and sending up a rocket with a cargo bay would burn up any profit there is to be made. But I'll definitely try to remember this for future use.

8 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

That's an original solution. Thanks for thinking about that. Sadly I don't have SSTO's and sending up a rocket with a cargo bay would burn up any profit there is to be made. But I'll definitely try to remember this for future use.

Just send up a rocket with a cargo bay attached.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.