Jump to content
  • 0

Finding info in Demo; other questions


sevenperforce
 Share

Question

Playing Demo and I have a few telemetry/control questions:

  1. Is there any way to determine the total mass of your craft at any given time during flight?
  2. Is there any way to determine how far you are from the ground at any given time? I'm tired of crashing at 120 meters above sea level.
  3. Is there any way to reset stages mid-flight, so that I can turn off my engines, throttle all the way up, and then press space to turn them all on at full throttle?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 2
  1. Map screen, click the 'i' icon on the right side of the screen to bring up info about the craft.
  2. Press 'c' or click the IVA icon on your pilot to go to IVA mode, there's a radar altimeter in there somewhere. Not available for unmanned craft. Press 'c' to go back to regular mode.
  3. You should be able to drag the icons around in the staging list, but I think that only works for engines that haven't been activated yet. However, press 'x' and 'z' to set throttle to 0% and 100% respectively without fiddling with staging.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
50 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Playing Demo and I have a few telemetry/control questions:

  1. Is there any way to determine the total mass of your craft at any given time during flight?
  2. Is there any way to determine how far you are from the ground at any given time? I'm tired of crashing at 120 meters above sea level.
  3. Is there any way to reset stages mid-flight, so that I can turn off my engines, throttle all the way up, and then press space to turn them all on at full throttle?

1. Kerbal Engineer Redux (or MechJeb) will let you know mass at launch

2. KER or MechJeb

3. Well, sorta, use action groups and slave the desired engines to a toggle setting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:
  1. Map screen, click the 'i' icon on the right side of the screen to bring up info about the craft.
  2. Press 'c' or click the IVA icon on your pilot to go to IVA mode, there's a radar altimeter in there somewhere. Not available for unmanned craft. Press 'c' to go back to regular mode.
  3. You should be able to drag the icons around in the staging list, but I think that only works for engines that haven't been activated yet. However, press 'x' and 'z' to set throttle to 0% and 100% respectively without fiddling with staging.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:
  1. (snip)
  2. Press 'c' or click the IVA icon on your pilot to go to IVA mode, there's a radar altimeter in there somewhere. Not available for unmanned craft. Press 'c' to go back to regular mode.

I see the radar altimeter but it is analog and not clear enough to read accurately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
22 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Yeah; if you have your heart set on doing precisely timed suicide burns, mods will be extremely helpful if not essential.

Still works well enough for RTLS.

Going to see whether layered stack decouplers can be used as an ablative heat shield in Demo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Still works well enough for RTLS.

Going to see whether layered stack decouplers can be used as an ablative heat shield in Demo.

They work as shock absorbers but there's no need for a heat shield so I've never tried them for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Regarding the altitude, ignore the altimeter. Watch for your shadow (i.e., never land at night and ideally land near local dawn or dusk) and use it to judge. After a few times watching that, I prefer it to a numeric readout. I have KER installed and ignore its numbers once I'm close enough to the ground to see my shadow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
11 hours ago, Pecan said:

They work as shock absorbers but there's no need for a heat shield so I've never tried them for that.

I need a heat shield if I am going to land propulsively. 

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Regarding the altitude, ignore the altimeter. Watch for your shadow (i.e., never land at night and ideally land near local dawn or dusk) and use it to judge. After a few times watching that, I prefer it to a numeric readout. I have KER installed and ignore its numbers once I'm close enough to the ground to see my shadow.

Or just RTLS because I know the ground around the launch pad is roughly 70 m above SL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...