Add a 'Plane' craft type

2 minutes ago, LordKael said:

Considering that this is an Indie game, I just assume that most parts of the code could use an "elegance pass" to make things run more smoothly. However, a similar system is what I was recommending, not just a copy/paste job.

I was actually responding to the "same logic" part. I'm fine with the UI logic, but under the hood the grouping info can't be saved outside saves\ folder. That was the crap I was talking about. Being a backend developer I tend to think things like this result in a complete code rewrite - but probably you're right in the sense that UI system for that can indeed stay.

On 3/16/2016 at 3:07 PM, RA3236 said:

The would categorise it under aircraft, since there is nothing that you said that gets it to space.

Better:

1. There is a rocket engine and a jet engine on board.
  2. There is a RAPIER.
  3. There are wing sections on board the craft.

3 would be best, but still not perfect.  Basing it on engines completely excludes Shuttle-style space-planes, which I still categorize as a plane.

I still support the idea, I could care less if it auto-categorizes correctly, as long as I can change it.

Edited by Alshain

I think, a game need just two new types of craft.

Plane (or Spaceplane) is anything 1. created in SPH (that is not a rover) and maybe 2. with a plane cockpit instead of crew capsule or probe core. Type of engine or wings are less important. Rocket or solid fuel plane is still a plane, and wings are great structural elements for spacecraft and fins for boosters.

Sattelite is hidden by default like Debris, but is not autodeleted. Because even stock contracts require to launch sattelites that do nothing but clutter map with their orbits. That type is assigned only manually, like Bases and Stations. Sattelite contracts may need type of craft to be Sattelite, or not. Also it can be used for used probes.

Why do there need to be shuttle and plane icons? Satellites or relays I can see, especially if telemetry gets added every planet will at least have 3 satellites around it by the end of a career mode plus additional survey satellites and abandoned transfer stages. Planes and shuttles are usually one-shot deals. It gets spawned, does its mission, and is usually recovered in a small amount of time. I can't see a time where the Kerbol system is so choked full of ships that it would make it difficult to find or select an airplane on Kerbin or a shuttle in LKO if it was labelled the same as a capsule, personnel carrier, or tug.

59 minutes ago, lobe said:

Why do there need to be shuttle and plane icons?

There don't.  What we need is a system where each user can make their own categories.  No one set list of types is going to work for everyone, because not everyone plays the same way, or with the same type of craft.  Some people may not even want their crafts sorted by "type", but might want "location", or "fleet", or "number of parts", or any other category they decide.

Even if Squad were to add ten user-defined categories, it would go a long way to what we need.

7 minutes ago, razark said:

No one set list of types is going to work for everyone, because not everyone plays the same way, or with the same type of craft

I think the current system is good enough. In fact it covers pretty much everything. Ships cover everything that flys and is manned, rovers for the wheeled land vehicles, station symbol for orbiting stations, probe for unmanned computer controlled ships, base for bases, debris for debris, and the asteroid, unknown, and kerbonaut symbols are pretty self explanatory. Lander could probably be removed, but it does serve a niche purpose of identifying spacecraft meant for touching down and taking off of celestial bodies when the SOI is filled with probes, ships, and stations.

On 3/16/2016 at 10:07 PM, RA3236 said:

The would categorise it under aircraft, since there is nothing that you said that gets it to space.

Better:

1. There is a rocket engine and a jet engine on board.
  2. There is a RAPIER.
  3. There are wing sections on board the craft.

At the moment, icons are decided upon the type of command module. Probe cores become "Probe", lander can becomes "Lander", ...so why not just let the cockpit become "Plane"?
We all have built special craft that the game identifies as "Lander", while it is actually a massive Jool ship. ("Crazy kerbals want to land Hermes 1 ?!"). But in the end we just rename the icon and it doesn't bother anyone too much(even if we built a cockpit Mun lander)

14 hours ago, lobe said:

Why do there need to be shuttle and plane icons?

Because shuttles and planes with "ship" reentry capsule look real dumb and tend to mix up with real capsules. Landed on Kerbin, on LKO, or even at atmospheric planets there may be both single use capsules and reflyable planes, even SSTOs. The game has separate SPH and airstrip, why not the separate icon?
There is no need to clutter UI with separate icons for subsonic planes and for spaceplanes, but some icon for winged craft is required.

On 3/29/2016 at 6:24 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I, like I imagine much of the community, will not be updating to 1.1 for at least 6mos

Seriously?? I'll be updating as fast as I can click the store download button!

I've pretty much stopped playing, waiting for 1.1 to drop.

Back on topic... you should be able to pick your craft's icon in the VAB, maybe next to the name. No need to have code auto-select one.

Edited by GeneCash

• 4 months later...
On April 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM, lobe said:

I think the current system is good enough. In fact it covers pretty much everything. Ships cover everything that flys and is manned, rovers for the wheeled land vehicles, station symbol for orbiting stations, probe for unmanned computer controlled ships, base for bases, debris for debris, and the asteroid, unknown, and kerbonaut symbols are pretty self explanatory. Lander could probably be removed, but it does serve a niche purpose of identifying spacecraft meant for touching down and taking off of celestial bodies when the SOI is filled with probes, ships, and stations.

No, I use landers a lot, and we need the ability to categorize the way we want to, if you want to remove lander, go right ahead. If I want to add more categories, we can too. Now everyone's happy.

I 've been trying to work on this, and it's impossible. The game's code prevents the creation of new vessel classifications by outside plugins. SQUAD w=needs to do this themselves. :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.