(4/9/2017) [1.2.x] v0.6: Revamped Stock Solar System

Update 0.2 for KSP 1.0.5.

Download at GitHub

Changelog

• Jool's mass reduced
  • Laythe has been given some more volcanoes
  • Tylo has been given a minor third revamp
  • Moho has been given a warm, thin, grey atmosphere.
  • Gilly has been given a height map to make it resemble Phobos or Deimos.
  • Mun has been moved out to be more authentic to the real world Moon's orbit.
  • Sun has been made more of a 1/10 scale replica of our sun. No longer is it ridiculously huge.
  • Sun lighting has been made slightly less than before, but still more than stock.
  • Minmus has been moved out to be a trojan dwarf planet of Kerbin. In future releases this and the Mun orbit change will be an optional setting.
  • Duna has been given a really cool second revamp. Less lumpy terrain, more ancient river-like terrain. A few craters on one side.
  • Ike has been given a slightly more appropriately moonlike heightmap and color map. Including a pretty big crater on one side.
  • All planets now have revamped descriptions. More descriptive descriptions.

5 hours ago, mtpatane said:

Does this work with EVE and scatterer?

i love those mods and currently use SVE, but this seems awesome!

There's no reason they shouldn't work, however the extreme green and purple of Jool and Eve in SVE kind of defeats the purpose. I recommend you use the Scatter and E.V.E. configs for KSPRC. Those colors work better with what I've built. EDIT: You will also have to change the settings for Jool, because Jool is larger in RevSS than Stock.

Unrelatedly, here's a picture album of the Mun Revamp.

Edited by GregroxMun

I saw that you said this should be ready to go for 1.1 when Kopernicus is updated, so I'm giving that a shot.  When I load a save (or start a new one), I find it's unable to load the KSC.  The camera is just stuck looking up at the sky, and I can't do anything.  

I've removed every mod except for this + Kopernicus, and the problem persists.  Am I doing something wrong, is this a bug that should be reported somehow, or is there anything else I can do?  Or are there any troubleshooting suggestions I could follow?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Kesselya said:

I saw that you said this should be ready to go for 1.1 when Kopernicus is updated, so I'm giving that a shot.  When I load a save (or start a new one), I find it's unable to load the KSC.  The camera is just stuck looking up at the sky, and I can't do anything.  

I've removed every mod except for this + Kopernicus, and the problem persists.  Am I doing something wrong, is this a bug that should be reported somehow, or is there anything else I can do?  Or are there any troubleshooting suggestions I could follow?

Thanks!

Yeah, turns out there's a bug with the 1.0 Kopernicus when it tries to export the scaledspace caches for Laythe and Kerbin. If you generate the caches in 1.0.5 and then copy and paste them over to 1.1, then you can work around that.

19 minutes ago, Lucius said:

So, what's this mean is a target release date for a 1.1-Ready version of this mod?

I'm holding off a new career until i can give this a shot, so super eager to see how its coming along

I'm working on 0.3, which should be out by May 1st or so.

Changelog so far:

• Mun revamp. (adding more varied procedural craters, and a Tycho crater ripoff)
  • Tylo revamp Mk3. (adding more varied procedural craters)
  • Minor tweak to Duna terrain. (Offset the map by 90 degrees to better match stock)
  • 1.1 compatibility.
  • Minmus revamp. (Sort of finished, but could use a rework) (Darker, greener terrain, craters. Minmus has been moved back to orbit Kerbin)
  • Laythe revamp Mk2 (unfinished right now) (Added procedural volcanoes, that work off of the voronoi craters with a modified crater curve)
  • Compatibility with DistantObjectEnhancement and PlanetShine. (Highly recommended)

What else needs to be done before 0.3 is releasable:

• Finish Laythe and Minmus revamp.
  • Revamp Cim, Bop, and Pol.

Things I'd like to include in 0.3, but might not make it in:

• E.V.E. cloud configs (most importantly for Eve and Jool)
  • Kerbin revamp.
  • Remade, more realistic, atmospheres. I mean the physical atmosphere that you aerobrake and fly in, not the shader.
  • Outer Planets Mod compatibility.
  • Ike, Laythe, Cim, and Gobe biomes.

Additionally, here's an album of the new Minmus.

Unrelatedly, apparently Scatterer does work with this mod, though I don't like how Eve and Jool look (they are too purple and green, respectively). Also, Eve's oceans are purple, not silver. That makes me a little bit sad. Small chance you might expect official scatterer compatibility after all.

One last thing to close with: I HIGHLY recommend @Poodmund's Deep Star Map skybox. It really looks amazing, especially with DistantObjectEnhancement.

Here's some pictures I've taken with it and this mod.

Just threw this into my install and I'm loving what you've done with this. One request I have though, would it be possible to change the colour of Kerbol to a more orangey reddish colour to better reflect its size. I think its currently more akin to a class G star, but should be more like a class M red dwarf (don't quote me on that, I'm not too hot on my stellar classification :D)

Edited by Chimer4

8 hours ago, Chimer4 said:

Just threw this into my install and I'm loving what you've done with this. One request I have though, would it be possible to change the colour of Kerbol to a more orangey reddish colour to better reflect its size. I think its currently more akin to a class G star, but should be more like a class M red dwarf (don't quote me on that, I'm not too hot on my stellar classification :D)

I've actually changed its size to better represent the Sun. (in 1/10 scale of course.) This is because my approach to dealing with the 1/10 scale universe problem that KSP has is by ignoring it and pretending they're actually all full size. Whenever I do any planet-making formulas and calculations for making planets, I assume I'm working in the real world with realistic densities, and then just divide the size of everything by 10.

The current size that I've given Sun is consistent with an M-class, and it shouldn't be too hard to kerjigger that config for yourself. Take a look at the stars in Galactic Neighborhood for an idea of how to do it.

I think its currently more akin to a class G star, but should be more like a class M red dwarf

I quoted you. Muahahahaha.

Shoot, I just realized I forgot to show off my new Minmus pics!

Minmus isn't pudding. Minmus ain't ice cream

Minmus ain't a pistachio, and it certainly ain't bleu cheese.

Minmus is a comet that flew by planet Eve...

It was captured in 'round Kerbin...

to orbit eternally.

I think I somehow managed to make Minmus look both more like a real place and more like pudding at the same time.

Edited by GregroxMun

OK that's fair reasoning. Also loving that new minmus, it always irked me that the lakes were so pristine with no craters. 

Also how will the procedural volcanoes on laythe work? Will they actually affect the vessel or just be for show (ie just spewing stuff out)

2 hours ago, Chimer4 said:

OK that's fair reasoning. Also loving that new minmus, it always irked me that the lakes were so pristine with no craters. 

Also how will the procedural volcanoes on laythe work? Will they actually affect the vessel or just be for show (ie just spewing stuff out)

Unfortunately, the volcanoes are not functional, only serving to look cool. Believe me, if I could, I would definitely make some active volcanism and cryovolcanism on Laythe and Vall. (Heck, even a volcano on Kerbin or Eve wouldn't hurt) Unfortunately volcanoes are far out of the scope of what I can reasonably do right now.

Edited by GregroxMun

6 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Unfortunately, the volcanoes are not functional, only serving to look cool. Believe me, if I could, I would definitely make some active volcanism and cryovolcanism on Laythe and Vall. (Heck, even a volcano on Kerbin or Eve wouldn't hurt) Unfortunately volcanoes are far out of the scope of what I can reasonably do right now.

That's what I thought would be the case. I remember seeing a cryovolcano in one of the many planet packs there are (Kerbol plus I think) but I don't think it affected vessels. 

One thing though, geysers have been brought up in kopernicus expansion so it may be something to keep an eye on for potential updates down the road

Just now, Chimer4 said:

That's what I thought would be the case. I remember seeing a cryovolcano in one of the many planet packs there are (Kerbol plus I think) but I don't think it affected vessels. 

One thing though, geysers have been brought up in kopernicus expansion so it may be something to keep an eye on for potential updates down the road

I will never use the piece of unoptimized, slow, and half-useless plugin that calls itself "the 'Kopernicus' Expansion."

Hey GRM,

I've been using a variety of your planet packs forevvvver now. I remember full well where the "trojan moon" minmus idea comes from :wink:

I actually really like it. It is, as you said all that time ago, "a stepping stone. Something between going to the moon, and going to other planets", a dry run at leaving kerbin's SOI and returning to it.

So please please please, is there AAAAAANY chance you can leave an optional trojan moon rendition?

4 hours ago, Lucius said:

Hey GRM,

I've been using a variety of your planet packs forevvvver now. I remember full well where the "trojan moon" minmus idea comes from :wink:

I actually really like it. It is, as you said all that time ago, "a stepping stone. Something between going to the moon, and going to other planets", a dry run at leaving kerbin's SOI and returning to it.

I too liked the trojan minmus :)

14 hours ago, Lucius said:

Hey GRM,

So please please please, is there AAAAAANY chance you can leave an optional trojan moon rendition?

There is actually a high chance of a trojan moon of Kerbin returning in a future release, either as an optional config for Minmus or as a new Cruithe-like body.

The problem though is that the delta-v requirements for doing a single-orbit rendezvous with a trojan moon are pretty near what you'd expect for proper interplanetary. If you have an object in an orbit 60 degrees behind Kerbin in its orbit, you have to enter an orbit that is (360-60)/360=83% shorter in time than the orbit of Kerbin. My tests with the concept have show that there's similar delta-v requirements there for Kerbin->trojan vs Kerbin->Eve. And with Eve, the mission can be much shorter.

So I'm not really sure if a Trojan should be considered a stepping stone between transmunar and transplanetary.

Edited by GregroxMun

On 4/30/2016 at 9:55 AM, Interplanet Janet said:

Is it possible to make Eve comparable to Venus (as in, a retrograde-rotating body and/or has a day the same as its year)?

It is possible, yes. But if it were rotating retrograde, there'd be some very unfortunate glitches with any moons orbiting it (such as Gilly) and if the day was the same as its year it would be tidally locked, which is not actually true of Venus. I could make Eve have a prograde-rotation that is longer than its year, though. The reason I can't do a retrograde rotation is because a retrograde rotation is equivalent to an axial tilt of 180 degrees. And KSP doesn't like Axial Tilt at all.

Cim Revamp (A proper Amalthea analogue with an ellipsoidal shape.)

Gobe Revamp: An even more irregular shape. More Hyperion-y.

I've also moved Bop out to an irregular satellite orbit. (it's a highly inclined and relatively low orbit) So now I have to make a new companion for Cim. Also I might rename Cim. It doesn't feel as fun to say as "Amalthea" does. I keep wanting to say/type Amalthea instead of Cim, which shows there's probably something wrong with the name.

Things complete so far:

• 1.1 Compatibility
  • Minor fix to Duna's color map.
  • Offset Duna's heightmap to better match the stock heightmap.
  • Tweak Eve's atmosphere color.
  • DistantObjectEnhancement and PlanetShine compatibility.
  • Tylo Revamp Mk3 (More varied procedural craters)
  • Cim and Gobe given irregular shapes.
  • Shrunk Gobe to 10000m from 20000m and Cim to 20000 from 30000.
  • Moved Bop out to a highly inclined low-ish irregular moon orbit.
  • There is a Laythe Revamp, but I don't like it enough to release it.
  • Revamped Mun. Gave it more varied craters and a Tycho crater analogue.
  • Revamped Minmus. Made it dirtier and darker, more cratered, and with a more interesting surface.
  • Moved Mun into a lower orbit (but still higher than stock orbit.)
  • Moved Minmus to orbit Kerbin again (but still higher than stock orbit)
  • Fixed Gilly's pixelated and jagged height map.

Things to do before 0.3 release:

• Laythe Revamp (yet again. This will be the fifth Laythe Revamp, and the third one to be released.) Think of Laythe as Yellowstone park on a planet-wide scale.
  • Make a new moon or two to keep Cim company. (Three irregular outer moonlets, three regular inner moonlets?)
  • Biomes for Cim, Thebe/Metis analogue, Ike, Gobe, and Laythe.
  • Outer Planets Mod compatibility?
  • Revamp Bop. Bop is, currently (and in stock), big enough to be a planet or a dwarf planet if it orbited the Sun. (In 10x scale it's both denser and larger than Mimas, the smallest object in the Solar System that is in hydrostatic equilibrium. Minmus is also bigger and denser than Mimas.)
  • Kerbin Revamp?
  • Optional settings config to enable or disable the physical changing of Jool moons and their orbits.
  • Asteroid configuration. (Main belt, irregular Jool moons, Kuiperoid Belt, and maybe Jool Trojans and Greeks.)

Other than Tycho the Moon has several smaller craters that have white ejecta and many more brighter spots, do you think it'd be possible to add some more to the Mun? I think it would look even better that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.