(4/9/2017) [1.2.x] v0.6: Revamped Stock Solar System

On 5/31/2016 at 11:51 AM, Interplanet Janet said:

Do you have plans to add compatibility to other planet packs like Xen's Planet Collection, Kerbol Plus/Origins, and Sentar Expansion? Or IPM?

IPM? Inner Planets Mod? If I'm not mistaken that's meant to just be a texture revamp for the inner solar system similar to OPM 2.0's treatment of the OPM planets. I intend to do a similar revamp to the planets in my mod, using OPM's Community Terrain Texture Pack. If you meant OPM, then yes, OPM compatibility is planned.

Sentar Expansion should be compatible, as there's no conflict between my planets and Sentar's.

Again, Kerbol Plus should be compatible.

Just because you asked, I'm going to add a piece of config which disables my mod if Kerbol Origins is installed. (Note: this is of course a joke)

Xen's Planet Collection is aright. Not great, but alright. But most of these should be compatible already. It might be fun to write a patch that re-adds Alu to orbit the Revamped Eeloo if OPM is installed. (In my OPM/RevSS patch, the modified stock Eeloo that orbits Sarnus is actually an Eeloo clone named Encethys, and the original Eeloo is my revamped version. The revamped Eeloo is put in a Makemake-like orbit.)

Edited by GregroxMun

1 hour ago, GregroxMun said:

IPM? Inner Planets Mod? If I'm not mistaken that's meant to just be a texture revamp for the inner solar system similar to OPM 2.0's treatment of the OPM planets. I intend to do a similar revamp to the planets in my mod, using OPM's Community Terrain Texture Pack. If you meant OPM, then yes, OPM compatibility is planned.

Sentar Expansion should be compatible, as there's no conflict between my planets and Sentar's.

Again, Kerbol Plus should be compatible. And just because you asked, I'm going to add a piece of config which disables my mod if Kerbol Origins is installed.

Xen's Planet Collection is aright. Not great, but alright. But most of these should be compatible already. It might be fun to write a patch that re-adds Alu to orbit the Revamped Eeloo if OPM is installed. (In my OPM/RevSS patch, the modified stock Eeloo that orbits Sarnus is actually an Eeloo clone named Encethys, and the original Eeloo is my revamped version. The revamped Eeloo is put in a Makemake-like orbit.)

Oh...I see.

11 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Just because you asked, I'm going to add a piece of config which disables my mod if Kerbol Origins is installed.

You don't seem to like amarius1's planet packs very much. I remember you mentioning that you thought his Alternis Kerbol reboot was awful too.

8 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

You don't seem to like amarius1's planet packs very much. I remember you mentioning that you thought his Alternis Kerbol reboot was awful too.

I dare you to go download his Alternis Kerbol Reloaded and play it instead of my Rekerjiggered. Kerbol Origins is at least playable in comparison, but the planets aren't very interesting and Kerbol Plus Remade by KillAshley and Thomas P is at least an order of magnitude better. The original Kerbol Plus by Amarius was just totally bugged and unplayable, and it really seemed like he was more interested in the prestige of being a modder than actually making good mods. Not to even mention the fact that he was literally stealing parts of his mod from other modders, without giving any credit for their work (something which the license he chose explicitly requires him to do.)

Can we please not have antifeatures in KSP mods? You can say what you like about (insert other mod) and (insert other modder) but unless there are actually confirmed compatibility issues I feel it's just petty go out of of your way to block things working together.

58 minutes ago, cantab said:

Can we please not have antifeatures in KSP mods? You can say what you like about (insert other mod) and (insert other modder) but unless there are actually confirmed compatibility issues I feel it's just petty go out of of your way to block things working together.

Amarius has come a long way since the times greg is talking about.

That said, if he wants to add a block for his mod to get disabled in certain circumstances I see no problems with that.

It's certainly better than the alternative, which would be deleting sistematically all the KO bodies.

1 hour ago, cantab said:

I didn't literally mean I was going to remove compatibility. It was only a joke.

I agree 100% with you. He was really insuferable a while ago on reddit, I called him out on that and his plagiarism once. He's not so bad lately, I guess he realized that upvotes and a mod dev flair don,t mean anything in real life.

Things done so far in 0.4

• Laythe Revamp
  • Renamed Cim to Ameli
  • Implemented Biome maps for Duna, Ike, Mun, Jool, Laythe, and Vall.
  • Principia Compatibility Patches, optionally enabled via a settings.cfg.
  • Better SigmaDimensions compatibility. (Ignores terrain height setting on Gilly, Ameli, and Gobe.)
  • Basic OPM compatibility (resolves the Eeloo conflict).
  • Fix Mun's Crater decal (in 0.3 if you go to Mun, you'll find a huge black square around the tycho-crater like decal)
  • Implement @OhioBob's RealisticAtmospheres into RevSS, modified for Moho, Jool, and Laythe.
  • Revamped Pol.
  • Create Kev, a grey object similar in shape and orbit to Ameli.
  • Re-revamped Jool.
  • Switch Moho over to the Moho template instead of using the Duna template.
    • This was only ever done in the first place for the atmosphere shader, but Kopernicus can handle atmosphere shaders on vacuum-template planets now.
  • Get the optional StockJoolSystem patches working. These patches will include:
    • StockJoolMoons: Reverts Jool, Laythe, Vall, and Tylo to their stock masses and radii. Laythe and Jool gets the same atmospheric charactaristics of OhioBob's RealisticAtmospheres mod, no modifications.
    • StockJoolOrbits: Reverts Laythe, Vall, and Tylo to their stock orbital characteristics.
    • StockMinorJoolMoons: Reverts Bop and Pol to stock orbits, moves Gobe to an inclined, lower orbit near Bop and Pol.
    • StockJoolMass: Reverts Jool to stock gravity and radius.
    • FurtherAmeliAndKev: Required due to physical limitations if you want to use Principia. The game crashes if a moon is too close to a planet. If you use a rescale mod that makes the Kerbol system about 2 or more times larger, this is not neccesary. All this does is increases the semi Major Axis of Ameli and Kev.
  • Tweaked atmosphere shader on Eve and Kerbin.
  • Revamped Bop. Lower terrain deformity, craters, and darker color.

What needs to be done before 0.4

• Prepare release.

What needs to be done before 1.0

• The above 0.4 changes.
  • Biomes for Kev, Ameli, Gilly, and Bop.
  • Maybe new biomes for Tylo, Vall, and Moho.
  • (maybe) implement the Community Terrain Texture Pack by @CaptRobau.
  • Revamp Kerbin.
  • Asteroid configs.
    • Less common near-Kerbin objects.
    • Remove Dresteroids.
    • Add an asteroid belt at the approximate semi-major-axis of Dres.
    • Irregular Jool Satellites in eccentric, inclined, and distant orbits.
  • Tiny blob moon for Eeloo.
  • Small asteroid moon for Duna and Ike.
    • Orbital parameters will be informed by the orbits of the Plutocharonian moons. As such it will likely be very far out.
  • Optional config to make the system act more like the real world solar system.
    • Minmus moved to be a comet.
    • Ike moved to orbit Jool.
    • Jool moons resized to match IRL analogues and orbits.
      • Laythe is removed and replaced with Volkin if Planet Pack X is installed.
    • Eve resized to Venus radius
    • Gilly and the DunaIkeAsteroidMoon moved to orbit Duna like Phobos and Deimos do.

What will be in 1.0

• Revamp Science Definitions
    • These should be more actually scientific. They should expose some of the nature of the planet, how it formed, and other mysteries of the Kerbal's solar system.
    • Minmus isn't pudding.
    • Crew and EVA reports made in first person, not second person.
    • Sensor reports (thermometer, barometer, seismometer, and gravimeter) written in third person.
    • Surface samples, Mystery Goo reports, and Material Lab reports remain in second person.
  • Advanced OPM compatibility.
    • I was gonna make my own Outer Planets pack designed to be played with RevSS, but why would I make my own version of something that is already popular and works well?
    • Instead, I'm going to make an "advanced" compatibility patch that will make the OPM system more similar to the Revamped Stock System compared to the Stock System.
    • Shrinks the moons of Sarnus (to make them closer to something that resembles stability)
    • Adds new moons to Sarnus, analogues of the current Saturnian satellite system. (New bodies will be a secondary download from RevSS)
    • Shrink Polta.
    • Make Hale, Priax, Nissee, and Tal more irregularly shaped.
    • Shrink Wal, move it out further to compensate for smaller hill sphere.
  • More advanced settings to toggle in the settings.cfg.
    • Taking suggestions for this.
  • DDS texture conversion, re-enable Kopernicus' OnDemand feature.
Edited by GregroxMun

On 08/06/2016 at 10:26 PM, GregroxMun said:

Revamp Science Definitions

• These should be more actually scientific. They should expose some of the nature of the planet, how it formed, and other mysteries of the Kerbal's solar system.

I like this, this sounds neat-o, but...

On 08/06/2016 at 10:26 PM, GregroxMun said:
  • Minmus isn't pudding.

I have to disagree with this. One of the great things about Kerbal is that the science definitions are supposed to be funny and show that the kerbals are goofy creatures. Maybe have a majority serious science definitions, with a few jokey ones inserted here and there?

Also, would you add DMagic science support? ScanSat support?

3 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

I like this, this sounds neat-o, but...

I have to disagree with this. One of the great things about Kerbal is that the science definitions are supposed to be funny and show that the kerbals are goofy creatures. Maybe have a majority serious science definitions, with a few jokey ones inserted here and there?

Also, would you add DMagic science support? ScanSat support?

Minmus isn't pudding

Minmus ain't ice cream

Minmus ain't a pistachio

and it certainly ain't bleu cheese.

Minmus is a comet

that flew by Planet Eve

was captured in 'round Kerbin

to orbit eternally.

The point of Revamped Stock Kerbol System is to make the solar system something that you might actually see in nature. Almost all of the design choices I've made are done with this in mind. So no, Minmus is not pudding. There's nothing wrong with Kerbals jokingly suggesting that Minmus looks tasty, but even in official canon, Minmus isn't actual pudding. In my opinion, Kerbals are not stupid creatures, they are just mildly childish and show a consistent lack of safety concerns and foresight. They're overly eager, excitable, curious, but they are definitely competent engineers, perhaps more-so than human engineers given how modular all the rocket parts are. So my plan is that the science definitions will be lighthearted, but they will not be just for the sake of making a joke.

Good

MinmusSrfFlats = The sample contains various salts and bright-colored minerals. Your hopes of starting a Kerman Bros Minmus Frozen Yogurt store, however dim those hopes may have been, are ruined.

MinmusSrfHighlands = Definitely no surface ice here. This would seem to disprove the "dirty snowball" hypothesis.

MinmusSrfFlats = As you crack the surface with your drill, small pockets of subsurface ice boil off into space. The sunlight would ensure no ice could possibly have formed here, so where did it come from? Was Minmus once an icy body?

MinmusSrfHighlands = The sample contains various organic compounds. Could these be the building blocks of life?

MinmusSrfPolarCraters = The shaded regions have been in shade continuously for millions, perhaps billions of years. They contain water ice and other volatiles, as well as organic compounds including basic amino acids!

Meh

MinmusSrfFlats = The sample contains ices and various types of sugar-like crystals. You contemplate tasting the sample, but decide against it.

MinmusSrfFlat = You sneak a taste of the sample. Nope it is definitely not delicious dessert products. (that was more or less the stock description)

MinmusSrfHighlands = The sample contains various organic compounds. Could these be the building blocks of a minty dessert?

Bad

MinmusSrfFlats = You sneak a taste of the sample. It is sweet with a hint of mint. You take a couple extra samples for dessert later.

DMagic support is possible. I think I'm going to crowdsource the science definitions. With some fairly strict rules to keep the bad and lower-meh stuff out. DMagic's magnetometer part will be nice for Jool and its moons.

Edited by GregroxMun

Laythe Biomes finished. All to do now is the Jool biomes, and I'll be ready to release 0.4! If all goes to plan, it should be ready for release by tomorrow, or even potentially earlier.

The big cyan sea is the new Laythe's Sagan Sea. The entire ocean is just called Laythe's Oceans. I liked the Carl Sagan reference too much to get rid of it. A lot of the other geological features are named for people who had some relation to the Yellowstone National Park, except with mangled names. The orange-color-coded feature is named Arclarke's Islands, after Arthur C. Clarke's depiction of Europa in 2001: A Space Odyssey (a lot like Laythe, an ocean world)

Edited by GregroxMun

Jool's biome map is finally finished! 

All of the zones and bands are different biomes, as well as the dark vs light storms, the Large Stormy Spot, and more! No fancy feature names here, just generic descriptions (i.e. "North Temperate Band", "South Polar Region," etc.)

Unfortunately I can't release right now, because making a release post and advertising it and all that jazz is hard, and I have stuff that I need to do in real life. However, expect the release in about 4 hours, at 9:00 PM today, Eastern Daylight-Savings Time. (Or earlier, perhaps)

DOWNLOAD REVAMPED STOCK SOLAR SYSTEM v0.4.

Changelog:

• Laythe Revamp
  • Renamed Cim to Ameli
  • Implemented Biome maps for Duna, Ike, Mun, Jool, Laythe, and Vall.
  • Principia Compatibility Patches, optionally enabled via a settings.cfg.
  • Better SigmaDimensions compatibility. (Ignores terrain height setting on Gilly, Ameli, and Gobe.)
  • Basic OPM compatibility (resolves the Eeloo conflict).
  • Fix Mun's Crater decal (in 0.3 if you go to Mun, you'll find a huge black square around the tycho-crater like decal)
  • Implement @OhioBob's RealisticAtmospheres into RevSS, modified for Moho, Jool, and Laythe.
  • Revamped Pol.
  • Create Kev, a grey object similar in shape and orbit to Ameli.
  • Re-revamped Jool.
  • Switch Moho over to the Moho template instead of using the Duna template.
    • This was only ever done in the first place for the atmosphere shader, but Kopernicus can handle atmosphere shaders on vacuum-template planets now.
  • Get the optional StockJoolSystem patches working. These patches will include:
    • StockJoolMoons: Reverts Jool, Laythe, Vall, and Tylo to their stock masses and radii. Laythe and Jool gets the same atmospheric charactaristics of OhioBob's RealisticAtmospheres mod, no modifications.
    • StockJoolOrbits: Reverts Laythe, Vall, and Tylo to their stock orbital characteristics.
    • StockMinorJoolMoons: Reverts Bop and Pol to stock orbits, moves Gobe to an inclined, lower orbit near Bop and Pol.
    • StockJoolMass: Reverts Jool to stock gravity and radius.
    • FurtherAmeliAndKev: Required due to physical limitations if you want to use Principia. The game crashes if a moon is too close to a planet. If you use a rescale mod that makes the Kerbol system about 2 or more times larger, this is not neccesary. All this does is increases the semi Major Axis of Ameli and Kev.
  • Tweaked atmosphere shader on Eve and Kerbin.
  • Revamped Bop. Lower terrain deformity, craters, and darker color.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.