[1.2.1]Arkas: Development Edition

On 4/26/2016 at 9:16 AM, The White Guardian said:

Probably Arkas' cloud config conflicts with E.V.E's own config. I recommend deleting Arkas' cloud config until I release a fix. Arkas' cloud config can be found in GameData/Arkas/Atmosphere.

It should be named 'EVE_CLOUDS' because otherwise it won't load at all, hence why changing it to 'ARKAS_CLOUDS' doesn't add clouds to Arkas: it breaks the config before the broken config can break the other configs. (Wow, that line got confusing pretty quickly, huh?)

I'll take a look at Arkas' clouds right away, I should be able to fix them. Expect an update in a few hours.

Ohhhh thank you very much for educating me on this matter.  I hope to sometime soon take parts of really old different planet packs that never got updated, take the best planets and moons, and make one super planet with a bunch of moons around it, and put it in a nonconlict orbit somewhere.  Either in an extreme outter elliptical  orbit that would receive almost no sunlight, or around one f the added star packs that still works in 1.1

So you're going to be able to fix the config file soon so we have clouds on Arkas?  If so, I cannot tell you how eager I am for that!

White Guardian - I don't know if this will help (and you probably saw this already) but an individual got dust storms working on Duna again.  Not sure if his snippet of code can help for Arkas:

I was also wondering if you could turn down Arka's shininess a bit?  Right now it looks like a teenager's oily face in the sun :D  Though maybe it will look perfect once clouds are there and you're roaming around the planet and in orbit.  When do you think you might have this available to test?  I'd be happy to test or do anything.  I'm guessing this planet was based on Dune a bit and I am so excited to have this in my game in all its glory.

15 hours ago, jpinard said:

Ohhhh thank you very much for educating me on this matter.  I hope to sometime soon take parts of really old different planet packs that never got updated, take the best planets and moons, and make one super planet with a bunch of moons around it, and put it in a nonconlict orbit somewhere.  Either in an extreme outter elliptical  orbit that would receive almost no sunlight, or around one f the added star packs that still works in 1.1

So you're going to be able to fix the config file soon so we have clouds on Arkas?  If so, I cannot tell you how eager I am for that!

You can make a pack like that, all you need to do is create a smart patch:

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[NameOfTargetPlanet]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			@referenceBody = (New parent body, for instance, Kerbin)
			inclination = (New inclination)
			eccentricity = (New eccentricity)
			semiMajorAxis = (New semi major axis (the average distance to the referenceBody))
			longitudeOfAscendingNode = (Orbit rotation relative to the referenceBody)
			argumentOfPeriapsis = (Orbit rotation relative to the referenceBody)
			meanAnomalyAtEpoch = (Planet placement along the orbit)
			epoch = (More specific for meanAnomalyAtEpoch)
			//You can calculate all values with HyperEdit: select the planet in the orbit editor and move it around, when you're happy go to 'complex' and copy-N-paste the values. Don't forget to click 'Set epoch to now' to get the correct epoch value.
			//You don't have to specify fields that you don't want to alter, for instance, the color of the orbit. In most cases altering the inclination, referenceBody and semiMajorAxis will do.
		}
	}
	//Example:
	@Body[Tekto]
	{
		//Let's make Tekto from OPM a moon of Eve.
		@Orbit
		{
			@referenceBody = Eve
			semiMajorAxis = 17000000
			inclination = 2
		}
	}
	@Body[Slate]
	{
		//Let's turn Slate from OPM into a planet, shall we?
		@Orbit
		{
			@referenceBody = Sun
			semiMajorAxis = 40000000000
		}
	}
	@Body[Arkas]
	{
		//We can also make Arkas a moon of Jool
		@Orbit
		{
			@referenceBody = Jool
			semiMajorAxis = 25000000
		}
	}
	@Body[Ike]
	{
		//Or move stock planets!
		@Orbit
		{
			@referenceBody = Urlum
			semiMajorAxis = 20000000
		}
	}
	@Body[Duna]
	{
		//You can edit planets in many ways, for instance, let's recolor Duna's atmosphere. Let's make it green.
		@ScaledVersion //Edit Duna's ScaledSpace
		{
			Material
			{
				Gradient
				{
					//Edit the colors of Duna's atmospheric rim (the dull red glow around the planet, let's make it green).
					0.0 = 0.2,0.7,0.2,1.0
					0.5 = 0.2,0.4,0.2,1.0
					1.0 = 0.0196,0.0196,0.0196,1.0
				}
			}
		}
		//Now we need to alter the atmosphere color itself.
		@Atmosphere
		{
			ambientColor = 0.2,0.7,0.2,1.0
			lightColor = 0.6,0.4,0.6,1.0
		}
	}
}

Also, I've likely fixed the clouds. I'm loading up KSP to check right now.

14 hours ago, jpinard said:

White Guardian - I don't know if this will help (and you probably saw this already) but an individual got dust storms working on Duna again.  Not sure if his snippet of code can help for Arkas:

I was also wondering if you could turn down Arka's shininess a bit?  Right now it looks like a teenager's oily face in the sun :D  Though maybe it will look perfect once clouds are there and you're roaming around the planet and in orbit.  When do you think you might have this available to test?  I'd be happy to test or do anything.  I'm guessing this planet was based on Dune a bit and I am so excited to have this in my game in all its glory.

No, I didn't see that, so thank you! Also, I've turned down Arkas' shininess, but the problem is finding the right value. The surface itself is much darker though, the ScaledSpace texture is just much brighter. I'm fixing that.

Edited by The White Guardian

2 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

I'm so glad you took this up @The White Guardian! I think Arkas may be the prettiest planet I've ever seen for KSP.

Thank you! It's likely going to take a while for me to update Arkas to 1.1.2 though, I'm currently away from home and for some reason the internet here and Steam hate each other, so I can't update KSP to 1.1.2, or even 1.1.1 for that matter, until I'm back home. I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm looking forward to seeing Arkas updated. I'll definitely be using it in my Expanded Kerbol Exploration, it's an incredibly nice-looking planet and there are very few mods that add worlds to the inner solar system, which I feel is something that that mission thread could definitely benefit from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for update with moons.

Always nice to get new stuff.

Is there any 'easy' way to tone down the shinny look to arkas?

To me, just looks too much like a freshly frosted doughnut hole... Lots of icing....

thanks for a great world and moons.

Cheers.

Saw there was an update and downloaded it and immediately probed Vin and Kras. So my cheat-fueled VectorPod went to go and poke around, and discovered some bugs. Both Vin and Kras have a places you can go to make them disappear by going to -1km (you can do this on Kerbin too, by visiting the Smiley south of KSC with a sub, or getting lucky in Booster Bay with a sub). For Vin, this was a crater (particularly, the first one I visited) and the first low point I found on Kras also went to -1km, thus making the terrain poof away. I don't think its intended, but Kras turned blue when I got under 100km. Although this is less of a concern, since its not disruptive, but Arkas still shines like a polished steel ball, and Vin's surface texture could use a little work for the flats.

Here is a dump from my screenshots folder.

@drtedastro @FungusForge I'm aware of issues with the moons as well as the EVE issues, I'm remaking the moons and fixing EVE right now.

The thing is that I was tired of making you all wait so I released version 2.0 so you all could at least enjoy Arkas and Vin (the 'magic crater' is new to me), the thing that was most holding me back was EVE so I just kicked it out for now. I'll release a patch today that both fixes the moons (and remakes them too!) and brings back EVE.

So, a note to everyone: get off Kras and Vin. I'm changing Kras' atmosphere and Vin's radius, so things might go boom. Get to an orbit greater than 50km on Kras and as for Vin, it's becoming nearly twice it's size, so get out of there for safety.

No worries.  I hope that I did not come over as being pushy.

Certainly not what was intended.

Appreciate your mods and all of the work that you do.

Just wanted to inject a personal thought / wish nugget..

Cheers and thanks again.

46 minutes ago, drtedastro said:

No worries.  I hope that I did not come over as being pushy.

Certainly not what was intended.

Appreciate your mods and all of the work that you do.

Just wanted to inject a personal thought / wish nugget..

Cheers and thanks again.

I'm not offended in any way, I'm actually trying to fix everything ASAP. I'll also try to fix Arkas being too bright in ScaledSpace.

Spoiler

Kras still pulls the disappearing act, and according to Kerbal Engineer, this happens when I go below "sea level".

Vin also disappears, and again, according to KER its happens 1km below sea level. Vin, however gets angry, and despite No Crash Damage and Ignore Max Temperature being on, it managed to destroy the craft, and has these weird squares appear.

This install only had KER, Kopernicus, and Arkas, all of which were up to date. I only kept KER in for the Altitude readouts, since they can go negative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14-6-2016 at 3:35 PM, FungusForge said:
  Hide contents

Kras still pulls the disappearing act, and according to Kerbal Engineer, this happens when I go below "sea level".

Vin also disappears, and again, according to KER its happens 1km below sea level. Vin, however gets angry, and despite No Crash Damage and Ignore Max Temperature being on, it managed to destroy the craft, and has these weird squares appear.

This install only had KER, Kopernicus, and Arkas, all of which were up to date. I only kept KER in for the Altitude readouts, since they can go negative.

Thanks for informing me of this. I've found the problem, it seems that VertexVoronoi and VoronoiCraters lower the terrain to below sea level which causes strange things to appear. All I have to do is simply elevate the terrain with VertexHeightOffset, which I will do right away.

Alright, everyone, big news! Arkas version 3.0 is being uploaded to SpaceDock as we speak, which features:

Version 3.0
- Updated to 1.1.3
- Fixed terrain-vanishing issue with the moons
- Fixed shininess on Arkas

I haven't had time to check that last one in-game, but it should be fixed. If it's still there, I have no idea what's causing it.

Edited by The White Guardian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.