[WIP] North American Rockwell Mars Excursion Module

16 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

that's a pretty weird return capsule. And I like weird stuff. 

It's the first time I see that thing. It does, in some way, make sense. To perform a direct return from mars, a capsule would need quite allot of lift to prevent astronaut from being crushed under too much G, I guess that shape would do exactly that. And more angle to the heat shield mean less ablation.  

Cant wait to play with it.

The development parts are all up on GitHub. 

There's two options for reentry, RCS and SAS set to retro, or copious vomit bags.  There's a bit of a spin that tends to start up.

• 2 weeks later...

The GitHub release package has a mistake.  It's not huge.  I'm going to finish up the EEM IVA before repackaging though.

I overwrote the model for the service module with the sparse version that should be just a decoupler.  It's been corrected in the current GitHub files. Along with some "I forgot to set layers" errors.

I've started work on the mission module. Basically the command, living quarters and science lab for the interplanetary stages. 

See http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19680009769

It's a fair way along this ride to ask this, but the fact that only the Mars Lander is North American Rockwell, or a Mars excursion module are making me question whether this should all be one mod, or if I should rename the thing, or just ignore that for now?

The eem is basically Northrop, although I only have a Boeing document describing it.  The mission module and Saturn alterations are definitely Boeing.

Thoughts? (No "and prayers", thanks)

8 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I've started work on the mission module. Basically the command, living quarters and science lab for the interplanetary stages. 

See http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19680009769

It's a fair way along this ride to ask this, but the fact that only the Mars Lander is North American Rockwell, or a Mars excursion module are making me question whether this should all be one mod, or if I should rename the thing, or just ignore that for now?

The eem is basically Northrop, although I only have a Boeing document describing it.  The mission module and Saturn alterations are definitely Boeing.

I think you could justify making things as separate mods, but I don't think anyone will fault you for keeping it all together for organization's sake? Or rather, don't worry about the manufacturers. Split them up if it makes sense from a gameplay / user experience POV.

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think you could justify making things as separate mods, but I don't think anyone will fault you for keeping it all together for organization's sake? Or rather, don't worry about the manufacturers. Split them up if it makes sense from a gameplay / user experience POV.

I'm leaning towards keeping everything together but with a more well thought out folder structure.  But keep the NAR_MEM at the root so as not to mess with anyone's installs.  Even though it's actually the NKR DEM unless you have RO+RSS installed.  meh.  No-one needs to stare at the folders while playing.

Anyways, some progress on new parts.

The Mission Module (home for the interplanetary transit stages) has a WIP IVA;

nmOAVhc.png

The plans from 1968 didn't have any windows, which is a tad annoying for a large crewed part in KSP.  So I'll be poking a couple of windows through the walls in the rec/mess section.  Clearly the part is a long way from done.

And slight further progress on the EEM IVA.  Needs more bits n bobs yet.  but getting better.

sGqlPWj.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I updated the main version.  This restructured the folders (to make it easier if people want just the EEM and not the MEM, or whatever) and includes the EEM and a very beta mission module.  Certain things like the IVA for the EEM aren't 100% done, but the same goes for all my IVAs.  They're never finished.

The following parts should be considered unsafe to use;

MM Logistics Vehicle Tunnel

Mission Module

l2e3aAA.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just posting to let people know I'm not dead, and am still (slowly) working on things.

I have most of the MissionModule section A, logical vehicle tunnel thing done, including the deployable telescope and so on.  I have the main mission module done up as per the documentation, and have started on the upper interstage (which also houses about ten experiments, the power supply and probably a partridge in a pear tree).  My quandary at the moment is the actual mission module section is kinda boring looking.  Everything else has all this complexity. and the MM is basically a capsule shape with just a central cylinder showing when put together.

o5BjTcn.pngqqp6Mf4.png

So, I'm going to greeble the snot out of it, using other craft as inspiration.  There's not really any good excuse for this.  Those outer walls are shielding and probably would be fairly boring looking.  But, meh.  It looks too plain.

Also, can't leave teasers about animations without leaving a pic (sorry about the flickering, it's a "feature" of how the gif converting stuff works);

TVKszAw.gif

• 3 weeks later...

A replacement craft file for stock Duna landings, is available here; https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/NAR_MEM/blob/master/ExampleCraft/Duna Excursion Module.craft

There's some slow but ongoing progress towards a functional mission module.  Parts together;

8IolM1w.png

After spending some time inventing greeble for the habitation section, I noticed the diagrams called out the outside skin as radiator for the environment control systems.  So I added radiators as well.  The top end houses the Kerbin Entry Vehicle, and power systems, plus a bunch of (not yet done) science thingies.  The lower section that has the MEM docking has a telescope, RCS, and antennas etc.

Anyway, not done yet, but it's progressing nicely IMHO;

YZCQZS7.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This mod needs WAY more publicity!!! Its the best "part pack" for landing on Mars in RO! I ended up building a bit different lander more suitable for my mission needs but i used most of the parts! Its amazing beyond recognition! Very nice detail, thank you so much!

55 minutes ago, species said:

This mod needs WAY more publicity!!! Its the best "part pack" for landing on Mars in RO! I ended up building a bit different lander more suitable for my mission needs but i used most of the parts! Its amazing beyond recognition! Very nice detail, thank you so much!

Thanks. Is an appreciative comment from you a speciation?

A lot of the work to make this RO compliant came from @Nittany Tiger

Plus North American Rockwell of course, for the numbers and design. Many things in the design seemed crazy at first. But they actually do seem to work.

Tested the whole package today and it works flawlessly, the frame for the MEM is a bit heavy but im assuming you got it from RL source?

I have a weird issue when using the MEM command module tho, while landing the whoel package spins by 180 degrees like 20m before the surface(cutting or leaving chutes makes no difference). Gonna try clean install, no issue while using apollo module tho.

50 minutes ago, species said:

Tested the whole package today and it works flawlessly, the frame for the MEM is a bit heavy but im assuming you got it from RL source?

I have a weird issue when using the MEM command module tho, while landing the whoel package spins by 180 degrees like 20m before the surface(cutting or leaving chutes makes no difference). Gonna try clean install, no issue while using apollo module tho.

All the masses are from a bunch of rl sources. Sometimes divided up a bit arbitrarily.

I'm glad you asked about that spinning behaviour. I was starting to think it was just me. I've never been able to find a reason for it. But noone but me seemed to be having the trouble.

Which parts changed between issue and not issue? Just the cabin?  Thanks.

haha yea i was thinking of not even mentioning it because its so crazy i though it had to be only me ^^

edit - i dont think it was the capsule fixing it, from what i found out i think it doesnt occur if youre doing fast suicide burn, only does it when i do slow, controlled burn on final landing phase.

Edited by species

6 hours ago, species said:

haha yea i was thinking of not even mentioning it because its so crazy i though it had to be only me ^^

edit - i dont think it was the capsule fixing it, from what i found out i think it doesnt occur if youre doing fast suicide burn, only does it when i do slow, controlled burn on final landing phase.

Interesting (and just as well) it doesn't do it on a suicide burn. It "feels" like hitting a jelly trampoline. I've usually been able to recover. But only just.

Haha yea that is an accurate description ^^   I found out that adding two regular radial chutes and opening em at around 400m/s helps a lot, im able to correct it most of the time.

It might sound bad but i consider it a minor issue considering all the problems i had trying to land heavy-ass spacecraft on LEM descent engines and agena's as ascent ones :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.