The Ark

The world is dying. The oceans house no life anymore, the last fish dying long ago. The ozone layer is gone, showering the surface in radiation and driving almost all of Kerbal-kind underground. You are tasked with saving your race by building an Ark, a craft designed to bring Kerbals to a new home. The Ark must follow the following guide-lines:

1.It must carry as many kerbals as possible.

2.Once it leaves the Kerbin system, It must be able to sustain itself (Greenhouses for food, mining equipment, etc)

3. It must carry at least three probes to gather data on possible landing sites on the planet of your choice.

4. It must be able to establish at least one colony that can sustain itself

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a Life support mod (TAC preferred but other life support mods accepted) is required for the challenge, otherwise it can still be considered stock as long as no other mods are used.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Point system:

each kerbal = 5 points

each colony structure (excluding corridors) = 5 points

each probe (over three) = 3 points

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Achievements:

End of the Line: Colonize Eeloo (2000 points)

Crowded Neighborhood: Colonize the moons of Jool (200 points each)

The Forgotten World: Colonize Dres (400 points)

Hope you like Potatoes: Colonize Duna (350 points)

Where's the Boulder?: Colonize Ike (200 points)

Close to Home: Colonize The Mun or Minmas (50 points each)

Under Pressure: Colonize Eve (350 points)

The Great Potatoe: Colonize Gilly (325 points)

Pack the Sunscreen: Colonize Moho (700 points)

Tight Space: Colonize an asteroid (100 points per asteroid)

New Horizons: Prove that your craft can leave the Kerbol system and reach interstellar space (1000 points)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modded highest Scores:

Stock Highest Score:

Edited by Geo793

ooh, a "I've got a 6GHz processor and 32GB RAM" fest.

Pedant point: New Horizons is on a closed trajectory which will bring it back within the orbit of Venus in about 12,000 years. :) Barring more gravitational assists from bodies known or unknown, it's on a 15,000-year orbit. About average for a long-period comet.

Just now, scullyl said:

does that mean this challenge requires some form of life support mod? 

Oh sorry, I forgot to put that in! Yes you do,preferably TAC life support, but any other life support would do to!

1 minute ago, Geo793 said:

Oh sorry, I forgot to put that in! Yes you do

Ah okay, so does that mean the stock section is stock except for life support? That makes sense, I'll get TAC and try this out. 

Screw it..... 2 kerbals, male and female, a capsule with a toilet, throw in a few chocolate bars and a few cokes.... some weed to keep them happy... and a pot plant...

launch that.... its enough to ensure the survival of the Kerbal race..... because.... till Valentina came along, there were no females.... clones? Test tubes?

Either way.... its enough.

send it around round the sun a few times and Bob Kerman's yer uncle.

Just now, kiwi1960 said:

Screw it..... 2 kerbals, male and female, a capsule with a toilet, throw in a few chocolate bars and a few cokes.... some weed to keep them happy... and a pot plant...

launch that.... its enough to ensure the survival of the Kerbal race..... because.... till Valentina came along, there were no females.... clones? Test tubes?

Either way.... its enough.

send it around round the sun a few times and Bob Kerman's yer uncle.

Pretty sure Kerbals do not have the same anatomy as us even though they are humanoid. I think it has been proven that they are like mold spores.

Just now, HoloYolo said:

Pretty sure Kerbals do not have the same anatomy as us even though they are humanoid. I think it has been proven that they are like mold spores.

Either way, the race can survive... and if it doesn't, so what.... Squad... the Kerbal God's.... can bring them back to life....

Just now, scullyl said:

Do you have any more information on this? It sounds pretty interesting!

They are mold... Jeb started the entire race after picking his nose, the booger got moldy.... and the rest is history..

Only thing, when one Kerbal gets an itchy nose... 5000 of them actually sneeze. :)

Edited by kiwi1960

8 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

They are mold... Jeb started the entire race after picking his nose, the booger got moldy.... and the rest is history..

Only thing, when one Kerbal gets an itchy nose... 5000 of them actually sneeze. :)

14 minutes ago, scullyl said:

Do you have any more information on this? It sounds pretty interesting!

I looked it up and they are either branches off trees, produced from a factory or just mutated animals from long ago.

15 minutes ago, max_creative said:

No, oh great as in "this is not going to end well" because anything with tweakscale and the title "the ark" is going to lag bad.

The launch vehicle is 329 parts. MUAHAHAHA

7 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

The launch vehicle is 329 parts. MUAHAHAHA

Oh great... And I thought my 276 part dres one rocket was a lot...

And dres two (about 290 parts) crashed our computer...

um... Where did I park my dres 3 rocket? I want to hide in the base...

Edited by max_creative
Added stuff

10 hours ago, ihtoit said:

Pedant point: New Horizons is on a closed trajectory which will bring it back within the orbit of Venus in about 12,000 years. :) Barring more gravitational assists from bodies known or unknown, it's on a 15,000-year orbit. About average for a long-period comet.

Is that true? It's on Wikipedia's short list of probes on escape trajectories, and the page about the mission says it was launched directly onto a solar escape trajectory. I wasn't able to find full details about its full orbit from more official sources. What's your source?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_objects_leaving_the_Solar_System

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.