Bigelow Aerospace Launch!

Mazon Del

7 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

The material used for inflatables is actually heavier than conventional modules. The only advantage of inflatable modules is more volume, but the downside is that you need to fill that volume, which requires additional cargo launches and lots of outfitting work on orbit. Then there's the cost factor.

No prob, 90 M for 50 kT. 

Does this mean we will be building stations that look like balloon kitty cats. Does that now mean the hideous looking spacexships we saw in spore will become real life?

On 30.05.2016 at 4:36 PM, PB666 said:

No prob, 90 M for 50 kT. 

Does this mean we will be building stations that look like balloon kitty cats. Does that now mean the hideous looking spacexships we saw in spore will become real life?

rel_hotel_1_800.jpg

Looks pretty cool if you ask me.

Edited by Veeltch

2 hours ago, Veeltch said:

rel_hotel_1_800.jpg

Looks pretty cool if you ask me.

Believing it until I saw the mirrors and the space plane in the back ground. Then realized its a marketing thing.

7 hours ago, PB666 said:

Believing it until

Never believed it just because if someone is discouraged by unused inner space  of a traditional "hard" module, it can be farced with any trash to be injected into orbit, with no free space left.
(Space beggars living in a trash can? Why not — Skylab was a dyogened  fuel barrel.)
Of course in fact I mean different lightweight stuff for a space station.

The only purpose of such expandable things is: to make a depot/habitat/briefing room of a very large diameter,
- much wider than a space rocket;
- much greater than its envelope thickness.
I.e. a zeppelin sized module.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Does it only have solar power? On the Moon, where nights are 2 weeks long?

One, I suppose that they can leave it and only occupy it during day.

Two (combined with one), the current plan is a polar region with far longer daylight, though the panel arrangement might have to change to take advantage of near constant sun, lower on the horizon.

Three, any nuclear power would necessarily be connected via a cable, and put in a nearby crater (using the crater rim as radiation shielding).

Edited by tater

Imho, they need more rigid structures and engines to land this balloon than if it just was rigid itself.

P.S.
Btw, where are the windows?
When I was supposing that a Martian base needs no windows, just cameras and on-wall screens, they told me that windows are must-have even if nothing is happening outside.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Imho, they need more rigid structures and engines to land this balloon than if it just was rigid itself.

P.S.
Btw, where are the windows?
When I was supposing that a Martian base needs no windows, just cameras and on-wall screens, they told me that windows are must-have even if nothing is happening outside.

Good point actually, windows are important for a crew's psychological health. If they're going to be stuck on the moon for a couple months or so at minimum, they should at least be able to see the beautiful view that comes with it.

Spoiler
9 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

they should at least be able to see the beautiful view that comes with it.

On the Moon they even don't need a window for this. Just such gadget on the wall.

(A rotating glass frame with sand and liquid, can't find it in English. ~10 USD)

Unlike the real static landscape, same forever, they can have a new Moon landscape any time they want, while their habitat is covered with 2 m thick protective layer of regolith.

Edited by kerbiloid

Actually, that also begs the question,of where/when they would assemble it, and what they would use as transfer stage(s)... vOv

I'm sure the astronauts would appreciate assembly, inflating, and outfitting before transfer... I'm sure it would make for a lees claustrophibic/enjoyable transfer... lol

Imho the plan is to ride the lunar hypewave having an inflatable orbital hotel project getting out of scope.

The construction looks as flimsy as possible, and eliminates any sense of an inflatable module even if it was in orbit.

Six rigid modules per the only inflatable one, and the H-shaped lander... Any rigid module with legs and engines below would make more sense.

Edited by kerbiloid

Expandable habs make a lot of sense for crew volumes. The crowded nature of ISS modules is even worse on the surface where there is a real up and down. A little elbow room is nice.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Expandable habs make a lot of sense for crew volumes.

If they could be expandable like a balloon, and this was not at the cost of "nothing to be attached to the wall".

Also, the size of this unlikely can gain something from the inner module inflatability, and it looks very non-rigid and overcomplicated comparing to a, say, Skylab on legs.

Spoiler

fQTiAj3.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.