can I transfer 'science' from one pod to another?

Hi,

I wonder if it's possible to transfer 'science' from one pod to another on the same craft? Why I'd find this useful is that if I have a small landing module that I undock from the main craft for landing, taking surface samples & EVA data, then I dock again with the main ship, I'd like to take the results back to Kerbal. But at the same time I'd like to ditch the landing module. So that I can transfer the 'science', I'd need to 'move it' from the landing module's pod to the pod of the main ship / homecoming ship. Other resources, like fuel, can be transferred. Can 'science' also be transferred similarly?

Is this possible?

Akos

4 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

If you have a kerbal, yes. EVA the kerbal, and when controlling the kerbal, right-click the pod to take the data/store data.

Correct.
And in the same manner you can also collect data from experiments and use them again. Just keep in mind some experiments need 'restoring/cleaning' by a lab or scientist before they can be used again.

thanks for the swift response. 

another quick follow-up question: each pod allows only for one type of expirment per biome. e.g. one sufrace sample per biome. so if I talk two kerbals into an Mk2 Lander Can, I can only store 1 surface sample for a biome. but if I take 2 pieces of Mk1 Lander Cans, with a total crew capacity of 2 as well, I can store 1 sample per can, that is, 2 samples in total. is this correct?

5 hours ago, DarkEye said:

thanks for the swift response. 

another quick follow-up question: each pod allows only for one type of expirment per biome. e.g. one sufrace sample per biome. so if I talk two kerbals into an Mk2 Lander Can, I can only store 1 surface sample for a biome. but if I take 2 pieces of Mk1 Lander Cans, with a total crew capacity of 2 as well, I can store 1 sample per can, that is, 2 samples in total. is this correct?

Yes, it's correct, but it doesn't help you much.  You don't get double credit for it; the first sample gives you the lion's share of the science points.

You do get a little extra, because the first one you take doesn't quite get 100% of the science, so having a second sample (or whatever) can pick up some of the remainder.  But in my experience the amount of extra you get from the second copy isn't enough to make it worthwhile to double the lander mass by adding a second command pod.

For me, the second copy is worth picking up if I happen to visit that biome again on a future mission, but not worth an extra trip just to do that, and not worth an extra command pod on the lander.  You can decide for yourself whether it's worth your while.  ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.