[1.2.2] Forgotten Real Engines (FRE)

Zarbizaure

0.2.2.0 - KSP 1.0.5

• CHANGE: Viking engines now have glowing effect!
  • CHANGE: Switched normal and specular maps to 2k (2048*2048) instead of 1K
  • CHANGE: New engines configs: Viking 4B+ and Vikas engines
  • FIX: Minors tweaks to engine's plumes

0.3.0.0 - KSP 1.0.5

• NEW PART: P80 (Vega first stage)
  • NEW PART: Zefiro 23 (Vega second stage)
  • NEW PART: Zefiro 9 (Vega third stage)

For now, the thrust curves are guessed and probably wrong. I will do my best to match the burn time, but it will be better to have a real source on these SRBs thrust curves.

@VenomousRequiem of course. The album is a bit long to update on third party website (spacedock and this thread) but if you go on imgur they should be there. Did someone noticed my work on the gimballing system? :D (thanks to VSR!)

Know issues:

• Zefiro 23 thrust curve is wrong (too long burn time), I will fix that
  • Zefiro 23 shines blue once decoupled (probably a bug in the emissive animation)

I will work on this next week, I'm on vacation this one and do not have access to my modding computer.

Edited by Zarbizaure

18 minutes ago, LeoBlueSpikes said:

Can you please do a Raptor engine from space X? 

Well so far it's not actually a real engine.  And there are precisely zero references for what it will actually look like (believe me, I've looked - every image that comes up can be confirmed to be of something else).

26 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Well so far it's not actually a real engine.  And there are precisely zero references for what it will actually look like (believe me, I've looked - every image that comes up can be confirmed to be of something else).

Well, taken from wikipedia:

Thrust: 2300 kN

ISP: 321 at sea level and 363 in vacuum

the only visual reference I found for the RAPTOR is this one: 

They are probably some detailled drawings inside SpaceX engineers cases, but I'm not sure you could find them on the web currently.SpaceXs_Raptor_oxygen_preburner_testing_

Edited by Zarbizaure

The RD-843 engine is almost fully modelled, there's still work to do on UV maps/textures. It should be it the next release.

EDIT: UV maps and textures done! That's a tiny engine so these maps will only be in 1k. Also, I'm pretty sure an engine that size doesn't need an emissive map (but can anybody confirm taht smaller engine = less heat and less light effect?)

Also, making the move to Unity 5.2.4. Apparently the emissive system changed, but the old way still works.

Edited by Zarbizaure

so if you have any engine you want to be realised you can tell me :)

i won't have lot of time to mod right now but I should be able to work on it during holidays, after my final exams :P

do you think the RD-843 needs an emissive animation?

another REALLY interesting engine concept https://ariane.cnes.fr/fr/moteur-promethee-une-evolution-vers-des-systemes-de-lancements-europeens-tres-bas-cout?utm_content=buffer2bbde&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer (sorry if it's in french, there is probably a switch somewhere)

there is no good visual for now but why not! A low-cost 3D printed efficient methalox engine is always cool :)

45 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

another REALLY interesting engine concept https://ariane.cnes.fr/fr/moteur-promethee-une-evolution-vers-des-systemes-de-lancements-europeens-tres-bas-cout?utm_content=buffer2bbde&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer (sorry if it's in french, there is probably a switch somewhere)

there is no good visual for now but why not! A low-cost 3D printed efficient methalox engine is always cool :)

It does indeed look like an interesting engine. Looks very easy to model, but balancing it for the game might be a tad bit harder. Especially when there is little to no information on it, such as engine weight, length, ISP, thrust, mixture ratio and so on. But good luck nonetheless! :)

4 hours ago, Zarbizaure said:

3 hours ago, heliobyte said:

It does indeed look like an interesting engine. Looks very easy to model, but balancing it for the game might be a tad bit harder. Especially when there is little to no information on it, such as engine weight, length, ISP, thrust, mixture ratio and so on. But good luck nonetheless! :)

Welp, it just so happens I've already got this engine modeled for my mod pack. Though as @heliobyte stated, it's pretty useless as of now as there is no concrete information on the engine. 

@Zarbizaure I take it you are not familiar with my mod pack, but I've been working on a mainly ESA-related mod for quite a few months now (with a few non-ESA lifters). So with that, I am basically also modeling all the engines you are busy producing, only difference being my models are vastly more geometrically detailed. As I've said on numerous occasions in the past, there is little to no point in multiple mod makers working on the same exact thing when their time would be better spent working on different things for the good of the community.

@liquidhype your parts are really gorgeous! I'm sad I did not heard of your mod before :P

There is no problem if we are both working on the same engines: yours are mostly intended for recreation (since you also provides tanks and evrything), my mod provides engines and only engines, so they could be used in multiple ways withouth sticking to the reality.

On the details side: the viking could have been a bit more detailled, but they were my first engines; so the next ones will probably look a bit more like yours. And the next ones will be LE5 and LE7.

Edited by Zarbizaure

• 2 weeks later...

0.3.1.1 - KSP 1.0.5

• CHANGE: Size infos for Viking engines
  • CHANGE: Some tweaks to the emissive maps (the interior of the nozzle wasn't glowing)
  • CHANGE: Shared Vega SRM emissive texture for an "awesome" 300ko size reduction
  • CHANGE: Some gimbal center tweaks on the vikings

Also tested and works fine in 1.1.2, I will update as soon as RO will be.

Edited by Zarbizaure

0.4.0.0 - KSP 1.1.2

• Updated to KSP 1.1.2!
  • NEW PART: LE-5! with four different configs :wink:

Tell me what you think of that new engine! It has a really high polycount (2.5Mo .mu file) but I think it's fine since it's KSP 1.1.2 now :wink:

16mGeEY.jpg

Edited by Zarbizaure

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.