[1.2.2] Forgotten Real Engines (FRE)

Zarbizaure

18 hours ago, Zarbizaure said:

0.4.0.0 - KSP 1.1.2

• Updated to KSP 1.1.2!
  • NEW PART: LE-5! with four different configs :wink:

Tell me what you think of that new engine! It has a really high polycount (2.5Mo .mu file) but I think it's fine since it's KSP 1.1.2 now :wink:rjnpuju.jpg

:o 

Well, thanks!

I was going to continue work on the LE-5 for my H-I mod, but as of typing this, I'm doing the UM-129A solid motor, and will return to the LE-5 afterwards.
I could make use of your LE-5 as a sort of reference or guide (with your permission and/or credit) when I attempt making a lower poly count one for my mod.
Problem is, I wanted to simplify the messy-looking pipework above the nozzle (of the IRL engine), but couldn't find a higher-res drawing than the one available in the JAXA Digital Archives.

Edited by fs10inator

@ fs10inator

^_^

There is no problem if you use my model as a visual reference ;-)

Yes my polycount was a bit high, but really don't know how to lower it withouth decreasing the upper pipestuff realism. However you should notice that these pipes are almost randomly placed and/or duplicated; only the biggest pipes should be in the right position. Maybe doing a sort of cage with some pipes inside?

20 minutes ago, AngelLestat said:

what about the merlin engine from spacex?
Or is included in other mod?

I will like many engines to be included so I dont need to install a huge mod like KW rocketry or Nova.

This pack is adding all the SpaceX engines, though slightly low-fidelity comparatively to the ones found in Kartoffelkuchens Launchers Pack.

@AngelLestat why not :wink: but it's already included in many mods (and now SSTU as liquidHype stated), so that's not my priority. The next engine will be LE-7, and then, I don't know (I will have to update some normal maps/fix some bugs)

@basila yeah it's really usefull! I also built a Vega/LE-5 mix rocket and it works pretty well!

Edited by Zarbizaure

thanks! yes, Japanese (LE-7) and Korean engines will come :) (I didn't even know they had launchers, but their engines looks promising! http://www.kari.re.kr/eng/sub03_03_01.do#link)

For chinese engines...they are already done by other modders, so it's not my top priority, but why not! Also, do somebody knows any cool throtteable tiny landing engines? They are especially usefull in RO/RP0 :wink: 

Also, I will be slower on update for about ~3 weeks (ahead of finals exams). I will be able to do more stuff then and these engines will be modelled.

On 5/10/2016 at 10:17 AM, Zarbizaure said:

thanks! yes, Japanese (LE-7) and Korean engines will come :) (I didn't even know they had launchers, but their engines looks promising! http://www.kari.re.kr/eng/sub03_03_01.do#link)

For chinese engines...they are already done by other modders, so it's not my top priority, but why not! Also, do somebody knows any cool throtteable tiny landing engines? They are especially usefull in RO/RP0 :wink: 

Also, I will be slower on update for about ~3 weeks (ahead of finals exams). I will be able to do more stuff then and these engines will be modelled.

I think Rocketlab's Rutherford engine would be interesting even if the full specs are not out yet.  It is small (not quite lander size, but still smaller than the superdracos) and throttleable (though not sure if it is deeply thottleable).  And of course it is super interesting since it will be the first electrically pumped engine engine.

1 minute ago, Zarbizaure said:

wow. Tons of engines here. As you said it's kind of space X like, there is also 27 engines on their heavy version. Thanks for the visuals, I will start working on this one day :)

Yeah I was waiting for something to render and I checked on this thread. I thought the rocket looked kind of cool the other day when I was here (as an artist I base a rocket's worth entirely on appearance :wink: ) so I did a quick google and found that thread.

0.5.0.0 - KSP 1.1.2

• NEW PART: LE-7! :) 
  • NEW: Engines placed and priced by engine config (should work well with RP-0)
  • CHANGE: Texture reduction (for emissive maps)

WLeIdV1.jpg

Edited by Zarbizaure

About the "procedural mounts" idea:

I really have no idea from where to start, and my C# knowledge is poor. Maybe somebody more talentuous could give me some advice?

The idea would be:

• A first slider which scale the whole mount (like Tweakscale does)
  • A second slider which choose the engine scheme (like SSTU: single, twice, threeRadial, threeLinear...). This means two things:
    • Mesh would have to be switched. How it is possible to do this in KSP? Will all the meshes be loaded and only one displayed (with an animation) or it is possible to change the active mesh of a part?
    • Nodes would have to be modified too.
  • A third slider which will adjust the bottom node height (the node connected to the lower part of the rocket).
  • A toggle for the decoupler.
  • A fairing generator. Maybe it's possible to use procedural fairings?
Edited by Zarbizaure

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.