[1.2.2] Forgotten Real Engines (FRE)

Zarbizaure

so the FRE-1 upper engine is done, there is still the FRE-2 (firefly aerospike) to do...and there will be a release sometime in the next week.

Also, I wanted to use the reflective plugin to give my nozzle a bit of shinyness, but it seems like the plugin is not updated for 1.1.3....does anybody knows a workaround? (using the 1.0.5 plugin version break the parts).

I'm probably missing something, but for the life of me I cannot find either of the Rutherford engines in my tech tree. I'm using the basic RP-0 tech tree, and all other engines showed up perfectly fine. What node are the Rutherfords supposed to be in?

Edit: NVM, fixed after updating RP-0.

Edited by gemini4

3 hours ago, Zarbizaure said:

so the FRE-1 upper engine is done, there is still the FRE-2 (firefly aerospike) to do...and there will be a release sometime in the next week.

Also, I wanted to use the reflective plugin to give my nozzle a bit of shinyness, but it seems like the plugin is not updated for 1.1.3....does anybody knows a workaround? (using the 1.0.5 plugin version break the parts).

do you mean reflective or shiny? Reflective being it actually reflects the environment, like polished chrome or a mirror. Whereas shiny is easy to do with a secular map, which is just in the alpha channel of the diffuse texture. You just use a KSP shader.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

do you mean reflective or shiny? Reflective being it actually reflects the environment, like polished chrome or a mirror. Whereas shiny is easy to do with a secular map, which is just in the alpha channel of the diffuse texture. You just use a KSP shader.

sorry, I meant reflective. There's this plugin, but it is outdated. However, I've seen some reflective effects on others mods, even in 1.1.2, like the orion capsule on this one: 

And there's already a specular map in my models, but it does not look exactly how I want it to look like...

@gemini4 I have no control on when the RP-0 tech tree is updated, so I have to wait until Nathankell update the mod. Rutherford were indeed added in the latest RP-0 update.

Edited by Zarbizaure

1 hour ago, Zarbizaure said:

sorry, I meant reflective. There's this plugin, but it is outdated. However, I've seen some reflective effects on others mods, even in 1.1.2, like the orion capsule on this one: 

I am pretty certain that Sobol, like myself and many others, is using Texture Replacer for reflective parts. It is easy to use and gives you a semi-realistic reflective feel. All you need to do is add this module:

MODULE
{
  name = TRReflection
  shader = Reflective/Bumped Specular
  colour = 0.5 0.5 0.5
  interval = 1
  meshes = 
}

For more specific information on how to set it up, go read a little in the TR thread.

30 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

FRE-2 in progress, modelling almost done :) 

lZhZIoO.png

Looks good. I made Firefly Alpha/Beta and the Electron rockets ages ago. Have fun setting up the gimbal acutators for each nozzle on that FRE-2 :) Doing it for 1 engine is time-consuming enough as is, doing it for 12 on a single model is a real pain in the you-know-what.

Also the aerospike cone looks like this, not bulbous like you've got in your image.

firefly-alpha-4.png?auto=format%2Ccompre

yeah I'm still on Blender and it will hurt when I'll have to set up everything in Unity :P

Also, your model is probably an old one. It has only 10 chambers (what is stated on the outdated wikipedia page) whereas the correct one will have 12. Source: http://fireflyspace.com/assets/files/Firefly Alpha - Payload User's Guide-20160609093017.pdf

I'll try to do it close to the thing we see under the Firefly Alpha, butif you have better links, I'll take them :) (from where does this picture come from?) 

Nevermind, found it: http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/11/firefly-space-systems-charges-full-speed-toward-low-earth-orbit/ it seems to be a relatively old visual.

Edited by Zarbizaure

13 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

yeah I'm still on Blender and it will hurt when I'll have to set up everything in Unity :P

Also, your model is probably an old one. It has only 10 chambers (what is stated on the outdated wikipedia page) whereas the correct one will have 12. Source: http://fireflyspace.com/assets/files/Firefly Alpha - Payload User's Guide-20160609093017.pdf

I'll try to do it close to the thing we see under the Firefly Alpha, butif you have better links, I'll take them :) (from where does this picture come from?) 

Nevermind, found it: http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/11/firefly-space-systems-charges-full-speed-toward-low-earth-orbit/ it seems to be a relatively old visual.

Don't pay attention to the amount of engines in that image I linked, as that was not what I was referring to. I know exactly how many engines it is going to have when it finally does fly. I was referring to the aerospike thrust-centering cone, it is open, not bulbous. I would not make such a noob mistake as to give the aerospike 10 engines instead of 12 :)

Edited by liquidhype

2 minutes ago, liquidhype said:

Don't pay attention to the amount of engines in that image I linked, as that was not what I was referring to. I know exactly how many engines it is going to have when it finally does fly. I was referring to the aerospike thrust-centering cone, it is open, not bulbous. I would not make such a noob mistake as to give the aerospike 10 engines instead of 12 :)

so I'm a noob, I was disturbed by the number of engines and started to create a 10-chamber aerospike cluster until I realized that there are 12 engines in their latest plan :D 

I'm not 100% sure for the grid-look. On their page, their design are bulbous and they are probably more recent that these grid aerospike ones. Anyway, I'll do a bulbous one, adding a grid should not be a lot of work if I want to :wink: 

now that I'm setting up these "#?!!@]&  really nice and simple gimbals in Unity, I have one issue.

I want to have roll control during flight, so there should be multiple thrust control object, right? So if I create twelve thrustTransform objects, will each of them produce 1/12 of the total thrust., or will they produce nominal thrust, meaning I'll have to set up the thrust to 1/12 of the real thrust? And how to add this inside a ModuleEngines config? Can I just add multiple thrustTransform on a single line?

Edited by Zarbizaure

0.7.0.0 - KSP 1.1.3

• NEW PART: Firefly Research Engine 1! (FRE-1)
  • NEW PART: Firefly Research Engine 2 (FRE-2), an aerospike engine!
  • Texture Replacer support and reflection effect for most of the engines (if you have TR installed)
  • Minor changes to Rutherford SL ISP
  • Some tweak to the P80 nodes size
  • Major organization/folder structure changes (it should not change a lot in game, but it'll make thing easier for me)
  • Other minors fixes

So, is there a good S.A.B.R.E. mod for KSP configured in Realism Overhaul? I know there's one from B9, but B9 is very heavy mod and I don't know if it's properly configured for RO.... Do any of want some more SSTO parts, like the S.A.B.R.E. from the skylon or the (X)RS2200 linear aerospike from the XR33/VentureStar?

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/06/2016 at 10:43 AM, Zarbizaure said:

now that I'm setting up these "#?!!@]&  really nice and simple gimbals in Unity, I have one issue.

I want to have roll control during flight, so there should be multiple thrust control object, right? So if I create twelve thrustTransform objects, will each of them produce 1/12 of the total thrust., or will they produce nominal thrust, meaning I'll have to set up the thrust to 1/12 of the real thrust? And how to add this inside a ModuleEngines config? Can I just add multiple thrustTransform on a single line?

@Zarbizaure have you seen this regarding transform multipliers?

@StoryMusgrave I know tjis, but pricing is added by RP-0. Are you playing withouth it? If they are some players playing a career mode withouth RP-0 I could add it; but honestly I found RO career boring withouth RP-P0. Just a personal though, it cost nothing to add it to the files (And I may do it when I'll come back home in a week).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.