[1.2.2] Forgotten Real Engines (FRE)

Zarbizaure

As you open for suggestions , i present you here XRS - 2200 linear aerospike engine. This picture shown it firing for 90 seconds on August 6, 2001. 

1280px-Twin_Linear_Aerospike_XRS-2200_En

It's one of a kind that had been built and fully tested engine. Originally built for Lockheed Martin X-33. Not much people know it's exist, though ksp player will mostly know it :D (yay, aerospike!) 

I've seen it's video somewhere, i will search it and posted it here later. :wink:

On 2016-11-19 at 8:38 AM, AlphaKerman said:

As you open for suggestions , i present you here XRS - 2200 linear aerospike engine. This picture shown it firing for 90 seconds on August 6, 2001.

RLA Stockalike has decent looking XRS - S2200 model.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Olympic1 said:

Even though you update this, it depends on Realism Overhaul and that isn't updated for 1.2 yet.

There is pre-release of RO for 1.2.2 and it works well. And it'll be much better with updated FRE )

I'll probably release an update in July. Not before though

I don't have a lot of spare time left to work on FRE so if anybody is interested in continuing the development you could PM me

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody, i'm trying to make and RSS H-IIB so i've found your really good mod and their LE-5 and LE-7. But i can't install RO so,... how could i run your engines ?

Hello everybody, i'm trying to make and RSS H-IIB so i've found your really good mod and their LE-5 and LE-7. But i can't install RO so,... how could i run your engines ?

@Darkfedor there no standard config yet...if I have a little time I promise I'll do it ! (but I'm quite busy now...)

If you want to you can try to write the stock config files (I'll be so thankfull if you could share them !), it's simply a lot of tweaking to get the nodes and size right ! (heads at a Squad engine config file to see how they are written).

9 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

@Darkfedor there no standard config yet...if I have a little time I promise I'll do it ! (but I'm quite busy now...)

If you want to you can try to write the stock config files (I'll be so thankfull if you could share them !), it's simply a lot of tweaking to get the nodes and size right ! (heads at a Squad engine config file to see how they are written).

If they want I write a stock cfg if they want to do balance testing

Thank you @Darkfedor :) (the mod is now on Github, I created a directory for stock config files)

The real engines specs are in the RO configs files I wrote. Then it's just a bit of adjustement to make them usable in KSP. Some examples/ideas:

• Rutherfords : 0.625m engines? similar thurst to the stock small engine (that I forgot the name :P ) but better ISP.
  • Vikings : early 1.25m engine, maybe 2.5 for the vacuum one.
  • FREs : 1.25m engines, high tech and high ISP. The FRE2 should have a thrust similar to the stock aerospike.
  • LE-5 : 2.5m high ISP vac engine.
  • LE-7 : 2.5m medium thrust engine.
  • Vega P80 engine 2.5m and 1.25m for the Zefiros.
  • 0.625m for the RD-843
Actually using these size comparing to the specs in the real engines files and multipliying mass/thrust by the corresponding factor should be fine. The most annoying thing to do is to move the nodes around and to resize the engines to their right size (since you need to often restart KSP to heck how close you are), I have a custom install with no mods and almost no squad part (except a few tanks and some avionics) to make loading faster.

About the : "I'm currently busy" : I've been building recently a thrust vectored 230grams rocket powered by a small model rocket engine and controlled by an arduino board and the first test flight is approaching :D
Edited by Zarbizaure

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I installed the version with Stock-configs and now I have no engine effects/no plume.

You running real plumes ? If so that file will more then likely have to be change for the stock cfg's

EDIT- Here is a new link for the stock files still needs work https://github.com/Mecripp/Forgotten-Real-Engines/releases/tag/0.7.1.1

All Credit to @Zarbizaure  

Licensed on Creative Common Non Commercial 4.0  Licence Creative Commons

Edited by Mecripp2

• 6 months later...

I don't think these engines work in RO 1.3.1. When I loaded my game, I got several ModuleManager errors in the FRE RO engine config files, and when I went to test the engines, they all showed up as "non-RO," consuming LiquidFuel and Oxidizer instead of their proper fuel mixtures. Let me know if you need an output log. I deleted that install file (I was having other problems unrelated to FRE), but I can run FRE again on a new install if you need the log data. 

12 hours ago, gemini4 said:

I don't think these engines work in RO 1.3.1. When I loaded my game, I got several ModuleManager errors in the FRE RO engine config files, and when I went to test the engines, they all showed up as "non-RO," consuming LiquidFuel and Oxidizer instead of their proper fuel mixtures. Let me know if you need an output log. I deleted that install file (I was having other problems unrelated to FRE), but I can run FRE again on a new install if you need the log data. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. FRE is no longer in developpment right now (I''m passing my final exams for the french "Grandes écoles" in 2 month). I might come back as a developper later.

That's fine. Don't feel pressure to come back to it unless you're ready. I appreciate the work you've done with it up to this point, but I know that real life always takes precedence. Would you be okay with allowing someone else to update it while you're busy?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.