[1.2.1] AnyRes v1.4.1 - Closer and closer to Unity 4.6 UI

So, I got really tired of having to constantly edit config files, and restart KSP every time I needed to change the screen resolution.  I wrote this little plugin to end this once and for all:

AnyRes v1.4.1

What does it do?

It allows you to quickly and easily change the screen resolution and switch between fullscreen and windowed.  You can use any resolution imaginable as long as it is  positive number.

How do I use it?

In any scene, simply press alt + /, or click the toolbar button if it's available.  It will automatically open up when you're in the settings menu.

Pictures:

Spoiler

NGGPQEG.png

yfjMlAM.png

Video:

[removed]

Creative Commons License
AnyRes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, BT Industries said:

This will be very useful and time saving:D

Thank you.

No problem.  That's why I wrote it.  I hate the way the settings menu handles it. :)

This will come in super handy when switching between laptop and external monitor use.  I’d been sticking with my laptop resolution even though it put KSP in a (comparatively) tiny window on my external monitor.

If you’re taking feature requests, I’d love to be able to save presets.  That way I could even more quickly switch between laptop and monitor sizes.

Also, I have two bug reports.  Do you prefer those here, or as GitHub issues?  (If the latter, I could put in my feature requests there as well.)

Just now, meyerweb said:

This will come in super handy when switching between laptop and external monitor use.  I’d been sticking with my laptop resolution even though it put KSP in a (comparatively) tiny window on my external monitor.

If you’re taking feature requests, I’d love to be able to save presets.  That way I could even more quickly switch between laptop and monitor sizes.

I'll add it to my list.

Just now, meyerweb said:

Also, I have two bug reports.  Do you prefer those here, or as GitHub issues?  (If the latter, I could put in my feature requests there as well.)

GitHub would be best, but here is fine.

1 hour ago, jofwu said:

Does this support the Toolbar mod? For quality of life mods like this I prefer not to take up space on the stock toolbar. :) Looks great though.

I'm planning support sometime in the future, but right now the only option is the stock toolbar.

• 2 weeks later...

This really needs to be added to KSP's config panel.  (Basically in the resolution select box there should be "Manual" which should make a pair of text boxes appear with the width and height.  I'd suggest adding "refresh" but unless you have a very advanced or old setup (LVD or CRT monitor, or video cards that require syncing across multiple monitors) there is never any need for it on a game like KSP.  (Maybe on some FPS games that can actually benefit from 120p refresh rates, but not on KSP.)

Edited by Ruedii

2 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

This really needs to be added to KSP's config panel.  (Basically in the resolution select box there should be "Manual" which should make a pair of text boxes appear with the width and height.  I'd suggest adding "refresh" but unless you have a very advanced or old setup (LVD or CRT monitor, or video cards that require syncing across multiple monitors) there is never any need for it on a game like KSP.  (Maybe on some FPS games that can actually benefit from 120p refresh rates, but not on KSP.)

I'll look into refresh settings. :) 

Yeah, refresh and superscaler settings should be added on this mod.  (Superscaler provides far better rendering than anti-aliasing on some systems.  Mainly due to some systems choking on the Unity Antialiasing shader.)  You may also want to see if there is somewhere you can adjust for non-squared display aspect ratios and other advanced rendering settings.

Just now, Ruedii said:

Yeah, refresh and superscaler settings should be added on this mod.  (Superscaler provides far better rendering than anti-aliasing on some systems.  Mainly due to some systems choking on the Unity Antialiasing shader.)  You may also want to see if there is somewhere you can adjust for non-squared display aspect ratios and other advanced rendering settings.

I'll look into them.  I am currently waiting to add them until I get the final 1.1 update, though.

On March 22, 2016 at 3:41 AM, TheCardinal said:

Very useful! Is it possible to change the resolution above the 'normal' resolutions which the game allows, f.e. 1920 x 1280?

Sorry I didn't realize that it was a question.  :blush:  It should work with any resolution above 0x0.

Oh, one thing you may want to do is give the option to change the default z-buffer mode (quick reference of the depth of the object each pixel is displaying used to make rendering easier)   16bit is faster but can sometimes result in some z-fighting artifacts.  32bit is slower but is obviously better quality.  There are a huge list of other settings you can change.  I've been wanting to make a very complete "advanced graphics settings" mod myself to handle quick changing of all the settings, including all the "here be dragons" ones which I would mask behind a warning dialog.

I've even set it to extremely low resolutions, but it's not a good idea to do. :)

Edit:

Why didn't it auto merge?!?!?!

Edited by Guest

I've just put together a patcher in case you set it to a very low resolution and can't set it back.

[removed]

Open KSP and immediately force quit it once you see the message box, then uninstall the dll.  It will then be back to a normal resolution.

You can still edit the config, but it's made for those who aren't comfortable with it.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bug report (which I’ll file at GitHub, but I’m documenting here for other users who don’t look at Github issues): the keyboard shortcut can create a permanent yaw trim if you use it in a flight scene, including the map.  See this from @hvacengi, who helped me work out a problem over on the kOS thread:

Trim is set by pressing the modifier key (alt on windows) and one of the translation controls.  You can reset it using the modifier key and "x".  This is not a control listed in the KSP settings, but you can find it on the KSP wiki.

So if I’m looking at a ship or the map view while flying a ship, and I call up, then dismiss, AnyRes with [alt+A], I’ve twice pushed the trim to the left.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.