Your computer setup (and any funny stuff about it)

Ogcorp Squirrel

I couldn't find a thread for this so I made one

say: My setup is {here is your computer model} {If applicable, your computer's name} and If you want, any extra info on how it runs KSP or funny stuff

My setup is a HP Compaq de7700 Ultra-slim Desktop which is a Hackintosh I call Midget, and it runs KSP decently until over 300 parts are loaded

The beastie.

9 years old

chokes, gasps and wheezes on anything over 200 parts.

the fans are as loud as my shopvac in summer.

it originally had a different mobo but I over tightened a chipset heat sink screw and stripped traces off the board. 

Oh there were tears.

That was a fairly expensive mistake.

I put my box together about 7 years ago, and built it around a Q6600, one of Intel's first quad core CPUs.

The Q6600's advertised clock speed - 2.4 GHz - was deliberately and seriously under-rated by Intel, to balance the price and performance against their other offerings. So because it was actually a bit silly to not overclock this particular CPU, I designed the box to run at 3.0 GHz, despite having no prior overclocking experience.

I was planning to start off with 2.4 GHz in the beginning, and to figure out the overclocking once the OS and other software were installed. However, the box was extremely unstable and crash-prone, and installing the OS turned out to be impossible.

The solution? Overclocking to 3.0 GHz straight away. To this day, I have never seen this box work when not overclocked, because it doesn't.

1 hour ago, n.b.z. said:

I put my box together about 7 years ago, and built it around a Q6600, one of Intel's first quad core CPUs.

The Q6600's advertised clock speed - 2.4 GHz - was deliberately and seriously under-rated by Intel, to balance the price and performance against their other offerings. So because it was actually a bit silly to not overclock this particular CPU, I designed the box to run at 3.0 GHz, despite having no prior overclocking experience.

I was planning to start off with 2.4 GHz in the beginning, and to figure out the overclocking once the OS and other software were installed. However, the box was extremely unstable and crash-prone, and installing the OS turned out to be impossible.

The solution? Overclocking to 3.0 GHz straight away. To this day, I have never seen this box work when not overclocked, because it doesn't.

That's weird. I thought systems were more stable when underclocked.

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Mine seems to have magical self healing properties! It was crashing, blue-screening constantly then, one day, boom! It just started working again. I did nothing to fix it. it just stated working.

Even money it was overheating and eventually a big clump of dust+fluff feel off the heatsink.

Just built a new machine myself, I didn't really want to, I had a great thing going with my last box [which had plenty of years/year left in her] but it went kaput so I had to replace it because being without a computer for any length of time SUUUUCKS!

Not too much special about the new one [christened "MkII"], just the best components I could afford [thank you credit cards! At least you are good for one thing...].

Not aware of any idiosynchrasies just yet, but I assume that is still to come, she's only a coupla weeks old [Aww, bless!]

One thing though, when you had your OS and steam folders installed on an SSD, going back to a HD SUUUUCKS!

Here's to a beautiful new relationship, hopefully!

This is what she looks like:

CA150NX_94988_800x800.jpg

Lenovo G580 Laptop, 4th gen i3 processor, 8GB Ram (upgraded) and a GT 635m Graphics card. It runs Ksp well under 200 or so parts, put lags a bit over that.

And due to the nature of the GT635m i can cook marshmallows on it :P

I've got an Acer not-really-a-laptop-anymore, Core i3, Intel HD 4000. Runs sub-100 parts on lower graphical settings.

Anyway, the screen died on this laptop a while ago, so I've been using it with an external monitor. Then it started overheating, so I took it apart to clean it(the fan was so clogged, thanks Phoenix)... but I couldn't get two of the cables reconnected, so the keyboard and mousepad aren't working either.

Also, the VGA port broke a while ago, so I'm running to a VGA display from HDMI with a stupidly expensive converter. All-in-all, it's quite a little Frankenstein and is really just a big mess.

Just now, p1t1o said:

Even money it was overheating and eventually a big clump of dust+fluff feel off the heatsink.

Nope.. I was monitoring temps the whole time and they never went above 59 degrees even after hours of gaming punishment. My setup is excellently cooled.

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, Majorjim said:

Nope.. I was monitoring temps the whole time and they never went above 59 degrees even after hours of gaming punishment.

You've got me there then. I've come to terms with the fact that computers, ironically, will occasionally do wholly inexplicable things.

Just now, p1t1o said:

You've got me there then. I've come to terms with the fact that computers, ironically, will occasionally do wholly inexplicable things.

I know man I have never had that happen before. It was very surprising. I am thinking maybe an update fixed it or something of that nature.

I have an... AMD somethingorother, which is sad I can't remember because I built it myself in 2013. I have 4gb ram (to be upgraded next) and a newish Nvidia... can't remember that either, middle of the road card. Plays most things ok.

Oh yeah, my onboard sound doesn't work, never did. I assume it was a manufacturing thing with my motherboard, never got it replaced. Instead, I use a USB sound device. Heh.

Also there's my 2009 Macbook - It CAN play KSP, but not well enough to have anything resembling fun.

An old Quad-core with 4Gb bought at a supermarket is my current computer (it's not even i3,5, or 7)

Some funny things: Back then, I had to lay in front of the store to get my hands on it.
And it still manages to run most current games (at lowest settings) without even comming close to matching the minimum requirements.

I love my comp!

Mid 2011 - Custom Built

MSI X58-GD45 Military Class MoBo (dunno what bearing that has on it.. cool name to stamp on the heatsink I guess)
Core i7-960 3.2 GHz, liquid cooling system
12 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti (original)

I've since upgraded the graphics card to a GeForce GTX 770. It's still running things pretty well, but it is starting to struggle with CPU-heavy loads. I can run The Division on high graphics settings (@ 1920x1080) which is good enough for me still.

Edit: I've also had to replace the Power Supply and Hard Drive. The original power supply had a built-in fan that stopped working and it wasn't long until it fried, and the HDD shot craps. Both my fault for skimping a bit to save the budget.

Edited by Randazzo

My PC is from a e-waste bin (along with 7 others that were the same), so I don't really know all the hardware of it.

I have 12GB of RAM

About 900GB of hard drive space.

Also a version of opengl from 1997 (that's older than me!) Which probably means the graphics card is really old, (I will check precisely what it is tomorrow).

There's nothing particularly funny about my main rig so I'm going to use my old computer for this:

ASUS G50V laptop, I think it's 7 or 8 years old already. Can barely run Windows Vista so I'm using Kubuntu as the primary OS. CPU fan bearing jammed so I removed the plastic bottom plate that covers the CPU cooling system, put it on top of a plastic storage basket, ziptied a 120mm fan to the side of the basket (left side in the picture, it's hidden behind the plastic edge thing) and connected it to an adjustable 12V power supply.

It's a super ghetto solution but it does the job! It's been like this for several years now and it's still working. It won't run anything else than board games and maybe some really simple 3d stuff (not because the fan is broken but because the computer is so old already) but it's more than sufficient for web browsing and programming which are the things I use it for the most. In normal desktop use, it's not much faster than my Raspberry Pi 2 B and I suspect the Pi 3 B running Raspbian might actually perform better. I'm probably going to get one just because I want to see how big (or small) of a difference it is.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

My motherboard cost more than my CPU, d'oh. It wasn't meant to, the plan had been Core i5-6600K and Gigabyte Z170 MX Gaming 5, but the 6600K was out of stock and I was told in November that it wouldn't be back in stock until January :o So I switched CPU to the cheap i3-6100 as a stop-gap, which has run KSP and Cities: Skylines great, but never reconsidered my motherboard choice. It's also more than my graphics card, because I'm still using the 750 Ti I had in my previous PC. Though I suppose cheap graphics cards aren't so unusual for KSPers.

And I don't like this board, the UEFI is a pain in the poophole and I had issues with it losing the settings (though that may have been PEBKAC). I don't think it ever got a look-in on the Skylake locked overclocking heydey either. Of course I couldn't have predicted any of that when I bought it.

I use Intel HD Graphics 4000, an integrated GPU, for lack of a dedicated graphics card. Any time I complain about a game crashing or performing poorly, people are quick to say "you need graphics card," yet every game that does run on it runs just fine (albeit not on max settings, but hey, who does that) and when I do manage to fix problems it also runs just fine.
And in games like KSP, educated players know that it's the CPU that bottlenecks it, not the GPU. ;)

Does that count as funny? :\

7 hours ago, Majorjim said:

I know man I have never had that happen before. It was very surprising. I am thinking maybe an update fixed it or something of that nature.

I had weird behaviour when using a powered sub hub. The pc wouldn't boot properly until I changed to a different power supply for the hub.

43 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Nothing weird about mine.

i3 4170

GTX 970

EVGA 550 GS 80+ Gold PSU

I dunno, I'll bet you've had people saying you should have an i5. (They'd be wrong IMHO, most games will run great on an i3 and a 970.)

Oh, and another funny thing about my own build: I don't have the power or drive LEDs hooked up. You can't even tell by looking at the tower whether it's on or not. I do this so there aren't annoying lights if I have to leave the PC on while I sleep in the same room.

Edited by cantab

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.