Exoplanets: Conditions, Appearances, and Names

ProtoJeb21

I remember back in the old days when there were just 300 exoplanets, people were literally worshiping Gliese 581 c, and so many of those planets were bland and scorched! Thankfully that phase is over. The downside? We've got over 2,000 exoplanets, and that can cause some...issues. Lots of planets are very similar to each other or have ridiculous names/very long designations. We need more, in-depth explanations for each of these planets (Not all 2,000, but a decent amount). Basically, this is a thread where people can share the following:

• Possible conditions on exoplanets.
  • Possible appearances of exoplanets.
  • Names for exoplanets.
  • "Fan Art" of these planets.
  • Examples of possible life forms on those planets.

I'll post some to make sure people don't get confused.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

I've given a nickname to the planet GJ 1214 b back in September. It's Belisama, named after the Celtic goddess of fire and water, because this planet seems to be a hot oceania (like in Space Engine). I've imagined Belisama as a "Water Giant", a large planet covered in water but with a large cloud cover. The clouds would create giant hurricanes taking up to 35% of the planet's entire area. They would be a lot like Jupiter's Great Red Spot: powerful, huge, and long-lasting. The atmosphere of Belisama might have a haze of organic gases and salts (that must be tasty:P) with huge, reflective clouds of water vapor. Belisama's atmosphere would also distribute enough heat to prevent an ice sheet on the back side. The oceans will be very sluggish and possibly radioactive.

Wolf 1061 c

This warm terra is a tidally locked exoplanet lying 14 light years from Earth, it has immense oceans, a massive hurricane, and simple life, the planet is more than 4x the mass of Earth and .6x larger, meaning all life is subjected to about 2 gees of gravity, and is short and stubby, there's a ice cap on the entire backside of the planet, but due to the massive amount of volcanic activity going on, the atmosphere doesn't freeze over, CO2 makes up a decent percentage of the atmosphere, which in turn is over 40 percent thicker than Earths, making the temperature 32 degrees Celsius despite only getting 60 percent of the parents stars light compared to Earth, and most of the land is a desert.

Ybt87SR.jpg

Edited by Spaceception

5 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I've given a nickname to the planet GJ 1214 b back in September. It's Belisama, named after the Celtic goddess of fire and water, because this planet seems to be a hot oceania (like in Space Engine). I've imagined Belisama as a "Water Giant", a large planet covered in water but with a large cloud cover. The clouds would create giant hurricanes taking up to 35% of the planet's entire area. They would be a lot like Jupiter's Great Red Spot: powerful, huge, and long-lasting. The atmosphere of Belisama might have a haze of organic gases and salts (that must be tasty:P) with huge, reflective clouds of water vapor. Belisama's atmosphere would also distribute enough heat to prevent an ice sheet on the back side. The oceans will be very sluggish and possibly radioactive.

Why would the oceans be radioactive? And the problem with nicknames for exoplanets is that you run out very quickly.

5 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Wolf 1061 c

This warm terra is a tidally locked exoplanet lying 14 light years from Earth, it has immense oceans, a massive hurricane, and simple life, the planet is more than 4x the mass of Earth and .6x larger, meaning all life is subjected to about 2 gees of gravity, and is short and stubby, there's a ice cap on the entire backside of the planet, but due to the massive amount of volcanic activity going on, the atmosphere doesn't freeze over, CO2 makes up a decent percentage of the atmosphere, which in turn is over 40 percent thicker than Earths, making the temperature 32 degrees Celsius despite only getting 60 percent of the parents stars light compared to Earth, and most of the land is a desert.

Ybt87SR.jpg

I'm fairly certain the life is not confirmed :)

11 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

So basically, Belisama has an atmosphere of CO2, water vapour, and gaseous soggy potato chips? XD

Edited by Findthepin1

12 hours ago, fredinno said:

Why would the oceans be radioactive? And the problem with nicknames for exoplanets is that you run out very quickly.

I'm fairly certain the life is not confirmed :)

Belisama's oceans may not exactly be radioactive, but just hostile to life. They're steamy, filled with chemicals from the planet's atmosphere, and crushed by the atmosphere. Also, I've given names to about 10% of the exoplanets discovered as of 3/22/16.

6 hours ago, Spaceception said:

That doesn't mean we can't imagine it :)

People can also talk about possible life forms on these planets. I'll edit the OP to match this.

6 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

So basically, Belisama has an atmosphere of CO2, water vapour, and gaseous soggy potato chips? XD

Well, sorta. A study done in November used a high-tech computer simulation to show that there could be a light-blocking haze above Belisama's clouds. The study reported that the haze could contain organic compounds and salts. The salts they're talking about are NaCl (Table Salt/Halite) and KCl (Potassium Chloride/Sylvite). Because of the possibility that Belisama is an ocean planet and the planet's rather high temperatures, I've always thought the clouds may be made of H2O.

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Belisama's oceans may not exactly be radioactive, but just hostile to life. They're steamy, filled with chemicals from the planet's atmosphere, and crushed by the atmosphere. Also, I've given names to about 10% of the exoplanets discovered as of 3/22/16.

People can also talk about possible life forms on these planets. I'll edit the OP to match this.

Well, sorta. A study done in November used a high-tech computer simulation to show that there could be a light-blocking haze above Belisama's clouds. The study reported that the haze could contain organic compounds and salts. The salts they're talking about are NaCl (Table Salt/Halite) and KCl (Potassium Chloride/Sylvite). Because of the possibility that Belisama is an ocean planet and the planet's rather high temperatures, I've always thought the clouds may be made of H2O.

Do you have a list of all the names?

38 minutes ago, fredinno said:

Do you have a list of all the names?

Yeah, I do. It's on my Google Drive, so I'll have to transfer it to another document program or something. I'll upload the list of names to the OP sometime soon. But be warned: I've named OVER 200 CELESTIAL BODIES in that sheet. 90% are exoplanets, 7% are stars, and 3% are possible exomoons. Also, the document is AT LEAST 24 pages long, with size 12 "Times New Roman" font. Whew.

11 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Yeah, I do. It's on my Google Drive, so I'll have to transfer it to another document program or something. I'll upload the list of names to the OP sometime soon. But be warned: I've named OVER 200 CELESTIAL BODIES in that sheet. 90% are exoplanets, 7% are stars, and 3% are possible exomoons. Also, the document is AT LEAST 24 pages long, with size 12 "Times New Roman" font. Whew.

Dang, how did you get so much time to do this?:0.0:

Kepler-186f: The first (roughly) Earth-sized planet orbiting in the habitable zone discovered (except Earth, obv.).

Nickname: Carl (ok, not really), Taii'rai (Tie-Ray)

ASL Gravity: approx. 10.88 m/s2 (1.1G)

ASL Pressure: 1.5 atm

Atmosphere Composition: 75% N2, 20% CO2, 4% O2, 1% Trace

The planet's surface is 56% ocean, 35% land, 9% ice cap 

There are simple photosynthetic bacteria in the oceans, and a primitive food chain has evolved with predatory creatures the size of protists eating bacteria. The planet and its system are relatively young, which explains why life on it has yet to evolve to more complex forms.

Just now, KAL 9000 said:

Kepler-186f: The first (roughly) Earth-sized planet orbiting in the habitable zone discovered (except Earth, obv.).

Nickname: Carl (ok, not really), Taii'rai (Tie-Ray)

ASL Gravity: approx. 10.88 m/s2 (1.1G)

ASL Pressure: 1.5 atm

Atmosphere Composition: 75% N2, 20% CO2, 4% O2, 1% Trace

The planet's surface is 56% ocean, 35% land, 9% ice cap 

There are simple photosynthetic bacteria in the oceans, and a primitive food chain has evolved with predatory creatures the size of protists eating bacteria. The planet and its system are relatively young, which explains why life on it has yet to evolve to more complex forms.

What would be the temperature?

17 hours ago, Spaceception said:

What's your name for Kepler 452b?

I've named it after the minor god Aristaios, the god of arts and beekeeping. While it may seem random, I found myths about Aristaios that almost parallel to the planet Kepler-452b.

2 hours ago, GabrielKerman-BR said:

I imagine how it must be in Gliese 436 b, he and an extremely near exo-planet from its star, the though that he has ice solid in its surface, I honestly thought this very cool exo-planet, I have not thought of a name, more have to be related to ice or fire!

I also named Gliese 436 b. Instead of naming it for its ice-fire characteristics, I named it after its comet-like tail and hot temperatures. It is named Metiokhe, after one of the twin nymph daughters of Orion. After falsely convicted for a felony, the depressed twins were sacrificed on a burning pyre. They were later turned into cometary spirits by Hades and Persephone.

Here are possible characteristics of quite opposite exoplanets: The most dense, K2-22b, and the least dense, Kepler-453b:

• K2-22B (MENOETIUS): This exoplanet has a density of a LEAST 160 grams per cubic cm. Menoetius is named after the Titan of destruction and carnage, an appropriate name for this horrible planet. Its high density gives it a huge gravitational pull, crushing the crust down and fracturing the surface. Lava pools out of giant, erupting canyons and forms lakes of molten rock. Parts of the crust may randomly explode due to such high pressures. Speaking of high pressure, Menoetius may have an immensely thick atmosphere of volcanic gases, hydrogen, and helium. The temperature may rise to over 1,000 degrees. Most impacting object would burn up in the atmosphere, but those that make it down create lava-filled craters and cause more volcanic eruptions.
  • KEPLER-453B (ORPHEUS): Orpheus has an absurd size-to-mass ratio. It is 5-6 times the diameter of Earth, but has a mass comparable to that of LUNA. What. The. Horse. Being in the habitable zone of its two parent stars, Orpheus would have clouds mostly made up of water vapor. Little Hydrogen or Helium is left, because the planet's weak gravity cannot hold onto such airborne gases. They would be blown into interplanetary space by the twin sun's solar rays. Orpheus's clouds won't settle into neat bands and stripes, once again due to the planet's gravity. Shockwave-like storms would replace hurricanes as the main type of violent weather. That atmosphere would be bleeding into space because all of those solar rays would overcome the weak gravity of Orpheus, stripping of the fluffy atmosphere. It is quite possible that Orpheus may just have one large moon, which a chance of being Earth-like. All the others would be tiny little asteroids like Phobos and Deimos.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.