PS4 Release????(July 12)

LTPug

Sometime ago I saw a announcement stating a release on PS4. I was wondering if this was a no go since I've not heard anything else. The reason I am asking is I Have a friend whom was in the navy and go electrocuted. Now he has lost the movement of most of his hands since then. But has enough movement he can us a PS4 Controller. I told him about the announcement and he got really excited, since he is 100 percent disabled and can't really get around. Since he has seen me play it, he has commented a lot about how he would absolutely love to play it. 

If you're willing (or your friend is willing) to put up with what will undoubtedly be some slow sim speeds and lack of mods etc, I'm certain they'll release it eventually.

Remember that Squad is a fervent believer in the religion of Soon™ and thus it might take quite some time for it to be released.

Scott Manly played it at a gaming development convention. He said it runs well but does get laggy if the part count get high just like on PC. He also said we can expect it out later this year.

Here's the video: 

The kerbal bit starts at around 1:57

Edited by worir4

1 hour ago, ImperatorAdeptus said:

KSP is only being released on the Atari 2600 and GameSphere. Sorry to burst your bubble dude. The PS4 just can't handle the sheer magnitude of the game without catching fire and exploding like the Challenger.

No need to be hateful. It's awesome Squad is expanding KSP to more people. Thanks to FTE games for helping them out too.

Edited by ForsakenVoyager

19 minutes ago, ForsakenVoyager said:

No need to be hateful. It's awesome Squad is expanding KSP to more people. Thanks to FTE games for helping them out too.

No hate intended bro, I was just making a joke. :P

But still... Glorious Gamesphere Master Race

15 hours ago, worir4 said:

He said it runs well but does get laggy if the part count get high just like on PC.

He was actually very vague on the performance. I saw them using a 10-ish part craft.  We wont know until we get some proper information, which we will not get until release.

I am sorry to hear about your freind. I hope the Navy gave him fair compensation for his injuries.

Edited by Majorjim

15 hours ago, LTPug said:

Sometime ago I saw a announcement stating a release on PS4. I was wondering if this was a no go since I've not heard anything else. The reason I am asking is I Have a friend whom was in the navy and go electrocuted. Now he has lost the movement of most of his hands since then. But has enough movement he can us a PS4 Controller. I told him about the announcement and he got really excited, since he is 100 percent disabled and can't really get around. Since he has seen me play it, he has commented a lot about how he would absolutely love to play it. 

Hey @LTPug, I am thinking if you help your friend setting up KSP on a PC with some joysticks and xbox controllers he will be able to play it. Stock KSP allows up to 20 different controllers at the same time, it is possible to assign all relevant commands to easily accessible buttons and axis.

I play with 2 joysticks with plenty buttons each, plus an old xbox controller for action groups and UI stuff... usually I only touch my keyboard in the SPH/VAB. and even this can be omitted with some thought, assuming he is able to operate a mouse.

Just a thought

cheers

Daf

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Hey @LTPug, I am thinking if you help your friend setting up KSP on a PC with some joysticks and xbox controllers he will be able to play it. Stock KSP allows up to 20 different controllers at the same time, it is possible to assign all relevant commands to easily accessible buttons and axis.

I play with 2 joysticks with plenty buttons each, plus an old xbox controller for action groups and UI stuff... usually I only touch my keyboard in the SPH/VAB. and even this can be omitted with some thought, assuming he is able to operate a mouse.

Just a thought

cheers

Daf

How did you get EVA controls working? (I've had no end of difficulty trying to map EVA controls to my X360 controller. It just refuses to work, so i have to use WASD for that. I use it for just about everything else, though!)

6 minutes ago, moogoob said:

How did you get EVA controls working? (I've had no end of difficulty trying to map EVA controls to my X360 controller. It just refuses to work, so i have to use WASD for that. I use it for just about everything else, though!)

For EVA controls I use a joystick and assign forward/backward translation and left/right translation to the sticks axis and the up/down translation to the little hat-switch on top of the stick, works nice.

I dont use EVA rotation, just put the re-orient command (which I believe is the W key, forward movement) on the trigger of the joystick, and have the camera movement on the hat-switch of the 2nd joystick and use that to re-orient the Kerbal if need be. Works very nice.

I'm sure you could assign rotation to a stick too if you want, but I found this way the easiest for me.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more infos. I can fly all my EVAs without touching the keyboard at all. Put all the actions (grab, climb, board, etc) on joystick buttons too.

• 3 months later...

What's wrong with having a mouse cursor on the PS4? There's a touchpad on the controller, and it wouldn't make much sense imho to artificially disable mouse input even though the hardware is there.

Edit: What's more interesting for me would be mod support. I'd really like to also buy the PS4 version, but playing without FAR is just not the same...

Edited by soulsource

3 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

But Kasper said July 4th. Dumb delays.

Not really. It's going to fade away after release. It just won't be as good as PC KSP.

Our hope as console players is that our game is so crappy that it actually lingers a Black Plague into your PC versions and shuts them all down. Muahahaha! 

18 hours ago, soulsource said:

Edit: What's more interesting for me would be mod support. I'd really like to also buy the PS4 version, but playing without FAR is just not the same...

`I highly doubt mods will be a thing on consoles for this game simply due to memory concerns and performance issues.

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

`I highly doubt mods will be a thing on consoles for this game simply due to memory concerns and performance issues.

Hasn't stopped Bethesda from supporting Fallout 4 mods on console. Their system works fantastically on the 'Bone. Guess PS4 folks wouldn't know that yet through ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.