Devnote Tuesday: JEEEEEENKINS [the build server]!

SQUAD

7 minutes ago, richfiles said:

So... you ignored all the bugs they squashed? Really... Really:huh:

You didn't notice anything they fixed with staging, wheels, rotation gizmo, Open GL, etc, etc, etc... Really... :rolleyes:

The improvements are under the hood... Better performance, native 64 bit support (allowing vastly more memory, and more mods), a hoard of bug fixes...

Let me put it this way... Those under the hood improvements mean you can add more planets and solar systems, with mods. Install graphic quality improvement mods, install part mods... And now the game actually has the memory footprint to actually do these things, while performing better and crashing less! I'd say Squad is giving you something amaaaaazeballs:confused:

M.o.d.s.   Im talking developer side.I know I can get more parts with mods and already using more than 40 mods.Actually without mods this game like beta(%25 game %75 mods).Noone want to play this game without mods.Im talking like xcom did short videos when I discover Duna atmospheric pressure or after landed Duna and research 2 month I should discover new technology that %25 more powerfull engine so I can use them for eve landings etc..Game doesnt give me a reason to research things.All I do go this planet with 100 science parts collect science data return result u get 1800 science points so? I need other real reason to go somewhere.Example if u go to duna I should learn about plant breeding,eve high pressure suits etc.I should choose what is important and go there.That is just 1 idea and should more gameplay mechanics like this.I think u can understand me

6 hours ago, technicalfool said:

Unfortunately, developing KSP ain't like baking a cake. Or it would be, if the cake suddenly decided to un-bake itself for unforeseen reasons and splattered cake batter all over the kitchen...

Squad may still have access to an excellent cake-baker / decorator who could help; this work of art was revealed at the special "1.0" launch edition Squadcast, May 7, 2015. KSP gets batter and better - every day! :) 

33 minutes ago, ktmemp said:

Noone want to play this game without mods

Nonsense. Most people play stock. Most people aren't registered on any forum and they don't post. The silent majority. The game is just fine without mods. 

36 minutes ago, ktmemp said:

I discover Duna atmospheric pressure or after landed Duna and research 2 month I should discover new technology that %25 more powerfull engine so I can use them for eve landings etc

Why would research on Duna result in better engines for Eve? Would it run on magic or Element Zero? 

1 minute ago, _stilgar_ said:

Nonsense. Most people play stock. Most people aren't registered on any forum and they don't post. The silent majority. The game is just fine without mods. 

Why would research on Duna result in better engines for Eve? Would it run on magic or Element Zero? 

This is just example could be different.If I go Duna and research there I should get more reward than just gettin science points.Maybe most people play stock cuz they just download game and play 1-2 months then uninstall cuz lack of content.We still playing game cuz using mods.Im really sure ıf there is no mod noone play this longer than 3 months.Game is just fine without mod for 2-3 months.

Can you guys at some point give more details on the GUI update you've made, and how mods should update theirs in regards with that. For us modders to start thinking at least structurally about how to make an update.

13 minutes ago, ktmemp said:

Maybe most people play stock cuz they just download game and play 1-2 months then uninstall cuz lack of content.

I've bought the game on December 2013. I've been playing the stock game for all that time (well, I installed KJR after one of the updates (1.0.2?) has broken the joints and the planes just disassembled during landing..., but it's not a content mod, so it doesn't really count). The game is fine without mods. In some things might be even more fun to do things in stock than to use mods (challenge!). 

Sure, I'd love to have new parts, new things to do on planet surface, but we aren't getting them right now. The Unity update and bugfixes take too much time to add new stuff (besides, most of the "new stuff" for 1.1 we got as 1.0.5...). As a software developer, I can tell you that those things take time. 

If I have to choose between better performance and less bugs and new parts, I'll choose the former. 

8 hours ago, NathanKell said:

So, apparently during editing someone accidentally a phrase. Apologies. :]

Should be:

...The tinting was implemented directly in the AtmosphereFromGround shader as an optimization, and while there he applied the same exposure tweak as SkyToneMapper to the atmosphere to make it look rather better.

( cheers to @blackrack for that idea, and making it public domain.)

Sweet! SkyToneMapper is one of my go-to visual improvement mods. Way too few people knew about it and how much better it made things look. Stockifying this is great news. :)

1 minute ago, _stilgar_ said:

I've bought the game on December 2013. I've been playing the stock game for all that time (well, I installed KJR after one of the updates (1.0.2?) has broken the joints and the planes just disassembled during landing..., but it's not a content mod, so it doesn't really count). The game is fine without mods. In some things might be even more fun to do things in stock than to use mods (challenge!). 

Sure, I'd love to have new parts, new things to do on planet surface, but we aren't getting them right now. The Unity update and bugfixes take too much time to add new stuff (besides, most of the "new stuff" for 1.1 we got as 1.0.5...). As a software developer, I can tell you that those things take time. 

If I have to choose between better performance and less bugs and new parts, I'll choose the former. 

The problem is you shouldnt choose.You bought game dec 2013 since 2.5 year they still fixing bug and this is real problem.I cant be happy they fixing bug(I can ıf game released dec 2015).Ofcouse main priority fixing bug but after waiting like 1 year I have to expect more.If I didnt care I even dont write here uninstall game and play dunno more battlefield but I care.If they care they really do something.We cant even talk about multiplayer and they promise with v.0.24 (2 years ago)They patching game atleast this is good but tooooo slow.

7 hours ago, razark said:

But wasn't that the point?  People were told they'd be getting a spontaneously un-baking cake, with possible broken-glass frosting and a tendency to singe their eyebrows off, so they could help make the cake better.  If they have to wait for the cake to be ready, then they're not helping to make the cake any better.

Not really. The point of the pre release opt in is that *after* Squad has found and fixed all the bugs they can, a fresh set of eyes gets to look over it and try and break it in new ways, so that even more bugs can be found and fixed.

If all the bugs could be found by the experimental group on their own, there would be no need for the opt in.

11 minutes ago, ktmemp said:

I cant be happy they fixing bug

Rather better than them not fixing the bugs...

12 minutes ago, ktmemp said:

We cant even talk about multiplayer

Who says?  You can't post it in the Suggestions and development sub-forum unless you have something to say about it that hasn't been mentioned before but there's nothing to stop you discussing it like civilised individuals in various of the other sub-forums.

5 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Rather better than them not fixing the bugs...

Who says?  You can't post it in the Suggestions and development sub-forum unless you have something to say about it that hasn't been mentioned before but there's nothing to stop you discussing it like civilised individuals in various of the other sub-forums.

No u get me wrong Im saying we cant even want multiplayer cuz we have so much problem.Ofcouse noone stop anyone.Nevermind I talk to much but I dont want other space games I want ksp and hope ksp gets better ''Soon'' as possible.:)

Edited by ktmemp

11 minutes ago, ktmemp said:

they still fixing bug and this is real problem

No, it isn't. Other game I played a lot was Crusader Kings 2. It was released in February 2012. Paradox is still fixing (and adding new features) it too. 

29 minutes ago, ktmemp said:

2.5 year they still fixing

Not true, the game was released on May, 2015. That's 10 months, not two and a half years. 

1 hour ago, _stilgar_ said:

This is something that forum warriors always forget.
The number of people who's playing the game and the number of people who registers and post about the game isn't very much related.
The silent majority is just playing the game.

4 hours ago, ktmemp said:

Sooo patch not coming in march and I guess even april we gonna see new problem and delay again.I waiting this update since last summer.1 year long patch but is it worth thats the question.More than 100 new parts ,new solar systems, new animations (ım not mention even better graphics) should be added for this long time but I cant see any of that.I love this game and bought to support squad but this is not enough for me sorry.

Squad can't add too many contents because there are players on Windows 32 bits (10% ... it's more players than those are on GNU/Linux+MacOS).

2 hours ago, ktmemp said:

This is just example could be different.If I go Duna and research there I should get more reward than just gettin science points.Maybe most people play stock cuz they just download game and play 1-2 months then uninstall cuz lack of content.We still playing game cuz using mods.Im really sure ıf there is no mod noone play this longer than 3 months.Game is just fine without mod for 2-3 months.

How can you think that there's not sufficient amount of content, I never seen an other game with as many content as on KSP without paid DLC ... The majority of my friends play it stock :P they don't want to hear anything of mods because they adds too many things which are useless for them.

Edited by Malah

2 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

Wrong, SOME people play Stock. There is no way you can prove that "most" play it stock, ergo, you have to accept that only SOME do.

2 hours ago, ktmemp said:

The problem is you shouldnt choose.You bought game dec 2013 since 2.5 year they still fixing bug and this is real problem.I cant be happy they fixing bug(I can ıf game released dec 2015).Ofcouse main priority fixing bug but after waiting like 1 year I have to expect more.If I didnt care I even dont write here uninstall game and play dunno more battlefield but I care.If they care they really do something.We cant even talk about multiplayer and they promise with v.0.24 (2 years ago)They patching game atleast this is good but tooooo slow.

The only problem i see is your impatience. Squad has added so much to the game in the last 2.5 years... You're just blind to all they've added, and all the improvements. As for your complaining about bug fixes... They're constantly adding and improving. New parts and features have been added, new tools, new biomes and physics... You are literally ignoring every major upgrade they've done in recent history, cause poor self-entitled you didn't get the upgrade you specifically wanted... Furthermore, they are upgrading to a new version of the game engine. The performance improvements and technical improvements, and the memory improvements (from being 64 bit native) will be HUGE!!! An upgrade like that does take much more time and effort than a regular upgrade. If you are not capable of understanding that, then too bad. We who have a clue, get it, and we are fine with the time it takes to make this happen! If that's too much to understand, then by all means... Please play battlefield and quit lying to yourself. Squad have added so many new parts, features, tools, etc... You just pretend they didn't, so you an complain about one of the biggest upgrades they've ever done to KSP!

I'll take their work on the Unity 5 upgrade, and all they've done on 1.1 any day over any part or feature upgrade! 1.1's upgrades are too important to put off, or get lazy over!

If I rolled my eyes as hard as I feel like... I'd be seeing my own brain. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Luis said:

Not really. The point of the pre release opt in is that *after* Squad has found and fixed all the bugs they can, a fresh set of eyes gets to look over it and try and break it in new ways, so that even more bugs can be found and fixed.

No, Squad offered to let people play a buggy version of KSP.  If they decide to go back on that offer and only let players have a completely fixed version, they're not following through.  How can we ever possibly trust Squad ever again, unless they do what they said they would, and give players the horrible, broken mess they promised?  We cannot allow them to simply release a properly finished, working version of their software when they can give players early access to all the brand new bugs they've created.  We need to grab the torches and pitchforks and tell Squad to release more buggy versions!

1 hour ago, kiwi1960 said:

There is no way you can prove that "most" play it stock, ergo, you have to accept that only SOME do.

Do we have to argue on the semantics? Sure, I can't prove anything and neither can you. Though, the thing that is true for nearly all games is that most players do nothing except for playing the game from time to time. They don't talk about it online, they don't make videos, they don't install mods. Just play the game as it is. 

Maybe KSP is an exception and most of the players are active and mod the game until it crashes. But, I don't think that's the case. 

Edited by _stilgar_

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

:)

4 hours ago, richfiles said:

Let me know when you get there... I'll be waiting down the road with my 32 GB! :sticktongue:

I also wanna put my hat in for adding MOAR™ EASTER EGGS! :D
Shout it from the rooftops! Easter eggs are awesome. It gives us extra little fun goals to reach! I'd also love, Love, LOVE to see the return of a few old easter eggs that got broked... Like the Duna SSTV signal and the Magic Boulder™.

Yay more people want easter eggs too!  I'm not alone.

55 minutes ago, razark said:

No, Squad offered to let people play a buggy version of KSP.  If they decide to go back on that offer and only let players have a completely fixed version, they're not following through.

I suspect you're being sarcastic here but, in case you're not, that isn't actually what they offered but, even if it was, where have they even hinted that they might possibly go back on that offer?  There is a big difference between a "completely fixed version" and a version suitable for a pre-update beta (hint, the "completely fixed version" is completely impossible for a start).

If you aren't being sarcastic then you're just making inflammatory statements about something that isn't going to happen so I suggest you get back under your bridge where you belong...

59 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

Maybe KSP is an exception and most of the players are active and mod the game until it crashes. But, I don't think that's the case.

I'm pretty certain that's not the case.  Just look at the total number of accounts on the forum compared to the number of copies sold (hint, this was over a million just on Steam back in April 2015).  Also, I'm pretty sure I remember someone from Squad stating that their gathered metrics also strongly support this.

46 minutes ago, Padishar said:
2 hours ago, razark said:

No, Squad offered to let people play a buggy version of KSP.  If they decide to go back on that offer and only let players have a completely fixed version, they're not following through.

I suspect you're being sarcastic here but, in case you're not, that isn't actually what they offered but, even if it was, where have they even hinted that they might possibly go back on that offer?

Razark was surely parodying some of the more melodramatic dramatic posts in the pre-release thread. Had me going for a second or eight.

I've had the game for two years and play stock ...

I'm aware of mods, could play with mods if I wished, just haven't.

Most people buy the game and play it as is, depending on their computer skills they might mod it (it's certainly easier than, say ... Minecraft :) )

I believe the above to be a valid statement, as for the forum, how many just lurk and read? (You only really need to sign up to post or see attachments, etc.)

Looking forward to the next release eagerly, but it will be here when it is, no sooner, no later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.