Why you look so scared ?

AeroGav

Something that's bothered me for a while.     Why are non-badass Kerbals scared so much?

At the moment, the rule seems to be, look worried

• any time below 20km
  • whenever an engine is running

It kind of makes sense during rocket launches, which are always,  impressive even when they go right.  In my case, their concerns are justified most of the time.   

However,  boosting away from a Minmus refuelling base to Jool also terrifies most of the Kerbals,  even though we're 6km off the ground , on a steep upward escape trajectory.     The risk here is not so much of crashing into something, rather that the craft never comes into contact with anything solid ever again.    Ah well,   if only i could get my head around orbital math.

Worst of all is when flying aeroplanes and spaceplanes.   Mine tend to be rather sedate,  low TWR, large winged beasts with excessive stability and sluggish controls.   Even my space planes don't go supersonic below 10km,  and climb out at a rather shallow angle.    I can't actually remember the last time I lost a crew member on one, though mission aborts and fails happen a great majority of the time. *

Spoiler

Alright, there was the time I installed a life support addon and had a save file glitch.  Landed an aeroplane in the gently undulating grassland just outside the space centre's peninsula.   Couldn't recover the vessel.    Decided to cut my losses and carry on with career mode.  Several flights later, i got a message that the crew had died from starvation.       I felt terrible, why didn't I try flying a transport with spare seats out to it and bring the Kerbals back, even if the plane was going to have to be left as a monument.    Then again,  why didn't one of the crew just use his cellphone and order a pizza,  or maybe climb out and catch a bus back to the space centre?

Yet, despite the fact that we're 10km over the water, subsonic, wings level, slowly climbing and not on collision course with anything Bill looks like he needs his Mommy.

On the other hand,  we can be on a fatal plunge towards the ground in a space capsule where the chutes have failed,  or about 2 seconds away from burning up in the re-entry heat, and everyone's happy because the craft isn't under acceleration.    What gives ?

Yeah, having them sitting there screaming their heads off (and scaring each other) annoys me, too. Your company paid big kerbucks to put you on this flight, Mr. VIP. The least you could do would be to try to enjoy it. Sheesh.

4 hours ago, Gojira1000 said:

I like the panic. I always assume Jeb is in the pilot's seat singing a ditty about "lovely kerolox fireballs" over the headsets

I can totally imagine that. Jeb is a real jerk. I'm sure he's the kind of pilot who pretends to pass out about 300 meters above ground during a Mün-landing while still plummeting down at 50m/s just to give the others the creeps.

Just now, luizopiloto said:

Well... I have an Engineer... his name is Roby Kerman... he have only one expression.... a poker face... :|

Crash or explode something next to him. There is a minimum 'scared' distance hilariously! All Kerbals will get scared given the correct 'encouragement!

3 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Crash or explode something next to him. There is a minimum 'scared' distance hilariously! All Kerbals will get scared given the correct 'encouragement!

Roby Kerman have only that Poker Face... I tried to scare him... I even though about creating a bug report... because it's not nominal... :P

Edited by luizopiloto

• 1 month later...

Sorry to necro, but this video i made ages ago and forgot about,  illustrates the point exactly.

Why are these two Kerbals going out of their wits, on the most boring milk run flight possible.  They could be eating an in flight meal of spaghetti noodles while cabin crew pour them a coffee and not spill a drop ?

I think the problem here is your not noticing how many Gs you've given them. Go on a roller coaster and try not to scream (except with them instead of being safe + G force it's being could die right now + G force.)

16 hours ago, AeroGav said:

Sorry to necro, but this video i made ages ago and forgot about,  illustrates the point exactly.

Why are these two Kerbals going out of their wits, on the most boring milk run flight possible.  They could be eating an in flight meal of spaghetti noodles while cabin crew pour them a coffee and not spill a drop ?

Not really a necro when the thread is only a few months old...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.