Forum Feature Suggestion

TheJangleMan

So, I was wondering if you could make the forum topic adder/editor have it so that you can choose different methods of inputting text and crap, like, there would be the default in the first tab, HTML coding in the second, CSS in the 3rd, and JavaScript (or other html compatible coding languages) . this would help us make our forum posts unique, and appealing (only if you have knowledge of such coding languages) The main reason why I think it's a must-have feature is because I'd like to be able to add custom graphics into my forum posts, and, be able to do other stuff like animations on the forum post. If I could use CSS/JavaScript on the forum, I'd be able to make a REALLY nice forum post, and be able to present the information even better :D . Final Thought: You should make it so that people have to have had their account for a certain amount of time AND for each rank in the forum, be able to add more features. Thank you for reading my post, I hope you consider soon...

How about you type it into a file that you attach, and then when the FILE gets approved by at least 3 moderators, it implements it, and when you edit it, you have to get the file re-approved?also, thanks for reading, but writing this comment on my Android was a struggle, I had added an edit, but it duplicated a lot of the text... 

I guess you'd have to limit the.    Coding thing for higher ranks then... But still, :/

Edited by TheJangleMan
Aargh

Why would a file be any different from a post? It's still a huge security vulnerability, and now it would be dependent on the moderators reviewing code before approval (some of whom, like me, are not proficient in HTML/CSS/Javascript).

Limiting by rank (which is tied to post count) just encourages spamming to reach the threshold that unlocks the feature, and unfairly penalizes those who contribute well to the community in fewer posts.

Why not make whatever it is you wish to make, host it somewhere, and link to it?

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Why would a file be any different from a post? It's still a huge security vulnerability, and now it would be dependent on the moderators reviewing code before approval (some of whom, like me, are not proficient in HTML/CSS/Javascript).

Limiting by rank (which is tied to post count) just encourages spamming to reach the threshold that unlocks the feature, and unfairly penalizes those who contribute well to the community in fewer posts.

Why not make whatever it is you wish to make, host it somewhere, and link to it?

I'm not a moderator and am not pretending to be. I am simply someone that uses the Internet for my college courses and two blogs that I run. A while back, I had a fellow blogger, who did allow code in comments, to have a person insert a line of code that linked to a self-extracting exe file that proceeded to lock data of anyone who clicked on the link. The virus that was installed was a type of keystroke virus that not only spied on what was being done on affected machines but then turned around and locked down the user's data and required a "payment" for a key to unlock the data. Yeah, there are people such as that in this world...

Now while us older Internet users would not dream on clicking on a strange looking link, there are a lot of folks that click on nearly any link they come to. I would hate to know that this forum had been the cause of a security breach, the compromise of personal data, or even the loss of personal data. I'm very careful of the forums I belong and in the event that this forum ever allowed code -whether moderated or not - to be used on the forum, would be reason enough for me not to come back. As a professional historian and someone that does a lot of research and teach at a local university, I simply could not run that risk...

Just my two cents...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.